Bear Canyon Lk & Chevelon Lk - 7/4/2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Downloaded the pictures off of the trip camera this evening and thought I'd post some photos from the 4th of July holiday weekend camping trip from PHX to Bear Canyon Lake and Chevelon Canyon Lake via Camp Verde. The wife-unit and I were meeting her brother up there with his motorhome RV, so not as 'expedition' as I'm finding I prefer, but with the rains throughout the holiday week going into the weekend, and very little to no wind at all, no complaints by anyone. Route map was as follows;
zrfcx.jpg

Shorter trip for us is North to Camp Verde and across Gen Crook Trl, through Strawberry and a stop in Pine for some organic honey at this roadside store;
1e500n.jpg

After running along Rt300 past Woods Canyon Lake and West past the powerlines, there's a great overlook off the rim, and here you can see some clouds building. Most of the holiday weekend was like this;
334ry15.jpg

At Bear Canyon Lake (~55 surface acres), we did some hiking around, temps were in the mid-70's, dropping a bit when the light rains would come in;
2hnyzjc.jpg

Saw a few people fishing, but not catching. We ran some of the smaller trails around the lake which were meant for OHV's, and the 'Cruiser with it's short turning radius really ran great - not fast, but some sections to flex and never touched the skidplate once.

Last edited:
Back at camp, I had some time to whittle on driftwood, and I've gotten my RTT deployment technique down to less than 5 minutes to set up, and about 10 minutes to break down, including the travel cover install. Really like the convenience of the RTT, and enjoyed listening to the rainfall against it when sleeping;
2z5q154.jpg

The next day, we headed 12mi back Rt300 up to Chevelon Canyon Lake (much smaller), and I didn't realize this was going to be such a hike in and out. Wife-unit gave up halfway down and my brother-in-law and I went the rest of the way in;
fw5578.jpg

Here's another view toward the lake from the spillway, and I thought this would be a great place to camp if only they'd let you get a 4WD down in there. The last section was really rocky, and the whole time I was hiking it, I was trying to find the right line to get down those huge rock sections. I have no idea how they get the trout farm stock trucks in there with that terrain;
24319bs.jpg

Last shot is a spot off of Rt300 that I think would make a great camp spot right on the edge of the rim. This shows great spanning vistas, but might be a little windy at times, and certainly not small-kid safe due to the high elevation drop off, but definitely a spot that not everyone would be flocking to on a holiday weekend;
jkiwxg.jpg

Great trip, and got a chance to do some more 'wheeling. The Hella H4000's on the front worked great as daytime running lights (visible in last pic), and also are amazingly bright during nighttime use - nice being able to see so far ahead on narrow roads and during the daytime to be sure oncoming traffic can see you esp. considering the story LCPhil shared on this same route the same weekend. Also, if you get a chance, right across from the entrance to Woods Canyon Lake turnoff is the Rim Country Visitor's Center, which is pretty small, but offers great maps of the area, some interesting local flavor (a stuffed bear and the biggest Elk rack I've ever seen), and is worth the stop.

Last edited:
:cool:

That place looks amazing, I really like the picture with the cruiser and the storm clouds in the background. Thanks for sharing I have to plan a trip up there someday.

Great looking truck and pictures, I kinda had a tear for a moment. Really glad to see that the two of you are enjoying the rig and getting out.

Best job I ever had was working for the Forest Service on the Chevelon RD in 1979. I worked Fire Prevention Law Enforcement for most of the summer, driving around the forest all day long, talking to folks. In the Fall, I worked the Promontory Lookout Tower, near Bear Canyon Lake, and the old Dutch Joe Tower (an old wooden tower). I haven't been back to Dutch Joe, I suspect they have replaced it by now. Man, them were the days...

So, are you related to Ranger Gord?:hillbilly:
Oh, you mean this guy? :hillbilly: I had too use Google to find out who the hell you were talkin about. :lol: Me, In a previous life.

I'm guessing, no TV in that tower?
No TV. 360 degree views, an Osborne Fire Finder, a small wooden stool to sit on with glass insulators on each leg. Not much fire activity on the A bar S that year. Lots of time to read books -- "Forest Solitaire." I was always paranoid that I would miss spotting a smoke in my area and another tower would spot it before I did.

Baker Butte tower is a old wood tower and still in operation during summer. It's south of the 300 road towards the west end of the 300 road. Driving a LC I would have driven the 300 road all the way across instead of heading off the rim and then back up. The turn off for the 300 road is only a few miles north from the point where 260 meets 87.

Best job I ever had was working for the Forest Service on the Chevelon RD in 1979. I worked Fire Prevention Law Enforcement for most of the summer, driving around the forest all day long, talking to folks. In the Fall, I worked the Promontory Lookout Tower, near Bear Canyon Lake, and the old Dutch Joe Tower (an old wooden tower). I haven't been back to Dutch Joe, I suspect they have replaced it by now. Man, them were the days...

Very cool!

The wooden tower was originally built with trees from the site but over the years proved to be too low for the job. It has been replace with a new metal tower ~20 taller at 110' making one of the tallest in the state.

I would of really enjoyed visiting a 90' wood tower.

Baker Butte tower is a old wood tower and still in operation during summer. It's south of the 300 road towards the west end of the 300 road. Driving a LC I would have driven the 300 road all the way across instead of heading off the rim and then back up. The turn off for the 300 road is only a few miles north from the point where 260 meets 87.

Don't know if Shirley is still alive but she has had that tower for a very long time (like 20 years) before Baker she was at Moqui for 12 years. Now Helen has had Moqui for like 10 years plus.

Probably one of the most loneliest jobs one could have but most that make it a year spend the better part of most of there life doing it.

i like chevelon lake for its remote access, keeps most of the riff raff out cause they dont want to hike to it. every time i go there i catch dinner, i think i read somewhere they use a water bag and helicopter to stock it.

Don't know if Shirley is still alive but she has had that tower for a very long time (like 20 years) before Baker she was at Moqui for 12 years. Now Helen has had Moqui for like 10 years plus.

Probably one of the most loneliest jobs one could have but most that make it a year spend the better part of most of there life doing it.

:hmm:Not sure if it's shirley or not. Don't believe the woman there now would be that old. The woman who there now just bought a horse and it's currently at my neighbor's home until she can get set up for horse. She and here husband are the school bus drivers from the area down to Payson. He is retired forest service and does painting during the summer. I know the last name but not sure about the first. Thinking it was Carol.

Very cool!

The wooden tower was originally built with trees from the site but over the years proved to be too low for the job. It has been replace with a new metal tower ~20 taller at 110' making one of the tallest in the state.

I would of really enjoyed visiting a 90' wood tower.

Curious Phil how tall is Moqui tower? I remember it's pretty high compaired to Baker Butte which on the edge of the rim and not that tall.

Has anybody by chance uploaded the new Coconino National Forest travel map to their Garmin GPS? I brought my old GPS home but haven't tried to see it I can upload it. The attachment plug is pre USB.

Curious Phil how tall is Moqui tower? I remember it's pretty high compaired to Baker Butte which on the edge of the rim and not that tall.

Has anybody by chance uploaded the new Coconino National Forest travel map to their Garmin GPS? I brought my old GPS home but haven't tried to see it I can upload it. The attachment plug is pre USB.

Moqui is ~83' tall with a 14" cabin on top. Helen mans the tower and has the cleanest pit toilet in Coconino National Forest.
A new stair climb record has been set by a 17year of 19 sec, shattering the old record set by a fire fighter of 27 sec. (IIRC). If I pace myself I can make it to the top without stopping:rolleyes:

Where do you find a digital version of the travel map? Is it an overlay for MapSource? I have the printed version but I don't see it lasting very long. The printed version is larger and much thinner then a normal map.:frown: A digital map would be great.

Sorry for the hijack LongDuck
Did you drive down to the gate then start the hike down to the lake?

Moqui is ~83' tall with a 14" cabin on top. Helen mans the tower and has the cleanest pit toilet in Coconino National Forest.
A new stair climb record has been set by a 17year of 19 sec, shattering the old record set by a fire fighter of 27 sec. (IIRC). If I pace myself I can make it to the top without stopping:rolleyes:

Where do you find a digital version of the travel map? Is it an overlay for MapSource? I have the printed version but I don't see it lasting very long. The printed version is larger and much thinner then a normal map.:frown: A digital map would be great.

Sorry for the hijack LongDuck
Did you drive down to the gate then start the hike down to the lake?

I could probably run up those steps but I would want the paramedics from the Blue Ridge fire department standing by.:rolleyes: twenty year ago those steps would have been easy even at 7,000' elevation. Not so much today.

The link for the down load was on the link in your Clear Creek camping trip thread. Post #13 by BMX and CRUISERS (John Shotts son?) Towards the bottom of the page. Both Garmin and smart phones. There was meeting in the area and the ranger there was down loading it for you. I wasn't able to attend but the neighbor was there. He is even worse then I am on technology. Has two Garmin GPSs and doesn't know how to use either.:bang:

Not a high jack, so don't sweat it. We actually marveled at the steel watchtower each time we'd pass it on 300, and it's an impressive construction.

We did drive down to the gate at Chevelon, and hike the rest of the way, but it still has to be over a mile from the gate down to the lake. It would not surprise me to know they stock it with choppers, that last 100yds is slide rocks, and would have challenged my wheeling skills (but not my 'cruiser!).

Chevlon lake - one of my favorite spots in the state

thanks for the report :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom