Tuesday 12-27-2011 Wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we're in - I think :hmm:

Did Michael get his on the road? Hopefully I will see everyone in a few hours!

we think we got all the air out - there were spots on the ground, though, that we could not identify in the dark

we have a new CB - not installed yet - that should be a 2 minute job, right ? :hillbilly:

So, that was interesting yesterday. :eek:

So the conversation went something like this...

"Only on left turns, it does not make sense."

"Well is it only down hill or is it uphill also?"

"I believe it only happens when the moon is in perfect alignment with the orbital rotation of..."

CIMG3746.jpg
CIMG3746.jpg

Sorry for the crappy shot but it was the best I could do with the quick motion to capture them before they bolted...

CIMG3748.jpg
CIMG3748.jpg

There's a 9am Basha's meet?

So I see you let a jeep go along?

Before you go busting my chops Claudia this was only because of your comment about the guy at Camelback. Besides I have the same issue myself. But I did get the wheel thing straigthened out:rolleyes::cheers:
CIMG3746.jpg
my%20first%20FJ25.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg

So, the brake issue has been ongoing, pedal to the floor, but only intermittently. Figure out on the trail that it happens on left turns, mainly the sharp, down hill, driving off of the cliff type. No leaks, etc, looks good.

Arrive at the shop, jack up each wheel, wheel bearings, spindles, calipers, etc, tight, good pedal.:confused: Start messing with it, turn the steering hard left, put the big pry bar on the spindle, force it more left, no pedal, wtf! Tony looks in there, the caliper is hitting the shock mount, wtf?

So what was happening was: When forced full lock, the caliper was hitting the shock bolt, being a floating caliper, this would compress it, then would take a couple of pumps to get pedal. Except if it was still forced, like in the sharp, down hill, driving off of the cliff thingy, where it was still held in the tight turn, then, push the pedal, no brakes, release, now the interference is compressing the caliper, push the pedal no brakes until the steering is straightened. In effect the caliper was acting as a hydraulically dampened steering stop.:hillbilly:

Once we figured it out, was an easy fix, adjust the steering stops, except that someone had welded them!:confused: Anyway, unique carnage, not what I would have expected.:hillbilly:

Didn't get done till late, didn't know if we were going to be wrenching or wheeling today until it was fixed, so no posting last night. Sorry for the distress that it may have caused.

Chevy people break the weirdest s***.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom