Salome Wilderness area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Another LCP last minute trip - destination Salome Wilderness area.

What a fantastic area very very clean, remote, and full of surprises.

Found this old cabin in great condition stocked with supplies.

Lot of trails some with challenges.

Looking forward to the next visit.
salome 4.JPG
salome 5.JPG
slaome 6.JPG

Phil had taken the measurments and determined that the cabin was going to work for him with a few garage modifications.
Barry's wedding 2011 034.jpg
Barry's wedding 2011 038.jpg

We had reached a point in our journey where the smartest move was to back up, the way forward was just too steep and covered in loose rock. Once we walked it, we realized the smart move was to back up the road and find a spot to get turned around. In all this manuver took almost an hour, mostly because the drivers would not listen to the spotters.

Phil gave great spotting instructions, he had a bad listener.
Barry's wedding 2011 046.jpg

Last edited:
nice trip,, great area. and your right not many ppl seem to frequent much past the main drag into young, cherry creek or the salome creek swimming holes.

many years ago an old timer told me that cabin as well as a couple others in the area belonged to the tewksbury family. (of pleasant valley war fame if you call it that). subsequent research and many trips in the salome area i'm not so sure it was, there were many ranching families and many range rights fights. besides tewks grave isnt near that cabin

looks like a great day!

Where is this area in relation to Workman creek?

I have spent a good amount of time exploring this area on foot and 4x4, mainly the northern portion of the wilderness. It is one of my favorite areas of the state mainly because it is so remote and rarely do I run into others. That said, it is also extremely rugged in some parts. I finally had an opportunity to explore a road last year that I had been looking at on a map for some time. It is the same road that it looks like you guys traveled on south from the cabin.

I had been looking at a way to access the middle portion of Salome and the road that loops around from Dupont Pond, and travels up from the south end of JR Ranch was the ticket. Last year we encountered some serious dead fall and without a chainsaw and quite a bit of manual labor, it wasnt happening.

Did you encounter the same? This was just the beginning, at least 3-4 other large ponderosa's were down
IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

We passed through the south edge of the area again yesterday and I agree a great area.

On the road out of Dupont cabin up around to the JR Ranch, yes there was a lot of chainsaw action that had taken place prior.
The picture with the big rock in front of the white 80 is access to the JR Ranch from the west side.

Saddletramp is very close to the previous owners of the JR Ranch and knows the area well, shoot him a PM on detailed area info.
203 2.JPG

salome 7.JPG

Phil,

Were you guys up by coon creek, cherry creek area this weekend? I saw a white 80 with a snorkel followed by a blue 60. We were camped right on coon creek on the north side of the road.

Sean

Phil,

Were you guys up by coon creek, cherry creek area this weekend? I saw a white 80 with a snorkel followed by a blue 60. We were camped right on coon creek on the north side of the road.

Sean

yup...that was us. :) we had our first lunch at coon creek. We drove up cherry creek road to 288 then back down to globe.

That is a nice camp spot you had! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom