possible day run March 13th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Hi All. I'm not sure if I've ever posted to this forum before, but in any event, I am planning to drive thru your fair state on my way to the Lone Star Roundup in TX again this year.

After talking with a couple of peeps, I thought it might be nice to actually stop over and do some camping/wheeling in AZ on my way out, since I've never actually camped or wheeled in AZ!

So I am planning on getting in to the Phoenix area on Saturday the 12th, and thinking about wheeling on Sunday the 13th.

I would like to know if there are any good trails for an old FJ45 to go run in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, and if any of you would care to join me for the day.

Best

Mark A.

Name your poison! Rocks, dirt roads, desert, pines, long, short... what would you like?

Hey Mark! It would be good to meet up again, haven't seen you since GGG 06. I'll keep my eye on this thread and see what the PHX boys come up with. Maybe I will be able to join in. :cheers:

Hey Mark! It would be good to meet up again, haven't seen you since GGG 06. I'll keep my eye on this thread and see what the PHX boys come up with. Maybe I will be able to join in. :cheers:

I thought you retired from wheeling?:confused:

Name your poison! Rocks, dirt roads, desert, pines, long, short... what would you like?

It's all good. Not much scares me, but I don't necessarily go looking for trouble. If you've got someplace scenic in mind that requires a bit of 'work' to get there, that's what wheeling is all about for me.:)

... I would like to know if there are any good trails for an old FJ45 to go run ...

I'm not familiar with your rig, what is it comfortable with? If you are only doing one trail day here, it would be best to be well matched, a fun day?

... requires a bit of 'work' to get there ...

All types of trails around here, including some of the toughest. May want to better define 'work', would this be, fun, work or too much?:hillbilly:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Claudia has seen me wheel the 45 in Moab; it's a sleeper, but it'll go. I could do that trail if I needed to. Is there nice scenery there?

Howdy! Anybody got anything going for this on Sunday? Not sure of my schedule yet, but I hope to be available if there is a run. John

I was wondering if Kevin was suggesting the pictured trail, or if that was just an example of something 'edgy'. I don't remember what it was called, but it was fun and scenic.

My finances are such that any run is improbable. However, my FIL, in town for the next month, showed interest in running something, I was thinking Crown King because it is scenic and involves a destination with something to do, rather than all day wheeling with no respite. With a knee injury, I have lots of free time on the weekends now, so I'll probably be doing that sometime soon. There's no real challenges though, and it's been done many times before, so it wouldn't be my top suggestion for showing an out-of-towner how we roll. If I were fer-sure going, I'd toss Sunflower Mine, Log Corral, Payette, Smiley Rock, and DeSoto in the pot.

I know I'm a noob to you guys but just some ideas. Why not box canyon to the coke ovens. And cross the river by old Cochran back into Florence for a decent AZ south western dinner. They have a couple decent restaurant's, and a even a decent hotel in town. That is part of the real Sonoran desert that AZ is famous for with Saguaro cactus, and all of the other unique plants to the region. You can even take Battle Axe back to Superior and swing by AZ's largest producing open pit copper mine or the old Florence Kelvin highway. Seems fitting since your club is called copper state cruisers, and that is the 2nd largest region most of the copper comes from besides Morenci.

I think I (we) would be up to go. Plenty of notice!!!!:D:bounce::clap:

Plenty of notice!!!!:D:bounce::clap:

:eek: Thought it was this weekend, and was wondering why it hadn't been finalized. Maybe by then I'll have gas money. :D

I have surgery next Friday morning so "maybe" I will be able to go. What is the difficulty in the ride?

I know I'm a noob to you guys but just some ideas. Why not box canyon to the coke ovens. And cross the river by old Cochran back into Florence for a decent AZ south western dinner. They have a couple decent restaurant's, and a even a decent hotel in town. That is part of the real Sonoran desert that AZ is famous for with Saguaro cactus, and all of the other unique plants to the region. You can even take Battle Axe back to Superior and swing by AZ's largest producing open pit copper mine or the old Florence Kelvin highway. Seems fitting since your club is called copper state cruisers, and that is the 2nd largest region most of the copper comes from besides Morenci.

Your description sounds very interesting. I would appreciate some more imput on this from guys who know the area.:)

There are lots of options. If you want some nice camping Near Phoenix / Scottsdale, there are some nice places North and East in the Tonto NF. If your route is taking you through Tucson to Texas via the big roads, there are lots of pretty things in the Santa Catalinas in the Coronodo NF and some of the guys down South would could supply details.

If your trip is like... roll out sometime Saturday, eat, camp, drink, rest, meet up with AZ guys Sunday and wheel around in the general direction of your route, then those Florence Junction Area options presented above are convenient and good options.

Or you could come across the Carefree Hwy (State 74), Camp up by Lake Pleasant in the park or outside the park in the national forest. The park is more tame camping with bathrooms and close to the lake. Not but 5 more miles to the north offers the National Forest...pitch a tent and take a leak, style, but offers easy access to plenty of pretty views and driving close by. That area is a little North and West of Phoenix, Scottsdale.

Welcome, and glad you taking some time to enjoy AZ!

Are you looking for just a run, or camping too? If camping, give us your route, maybe we can get you situated along it.

Are you looking for just a run, or camping too? If camping, give us your route, maybe we can get you situated along it.

Right now I am keeping my options open.;) I may end up having a truck full of landcruiser parts as well as my camping gear, in which case I will have to offload them at an old friend's house in Scottsdale, go out for a day run Sunday, then go back to his place and re-load to continue my journey.

I already agreed to give a ride for 4 stock seats to TX, and a ride on the way back for a 2F for freshening up. Cruiser karma is an interesting thing.:)

Best

Mark A.

... I was thinking Crown King ...

Crown King "trail" is now graded to south of Oro Belle, so removing the last good obstacle area.:mad::eek:

Tools, are there still some of the side challenges available in the trail?

Have you been on it since the grading? Too bad theyre taking out the last obstacle :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom