Wheelin Jan 16th, 17th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who's up for some wheelin on Sat or Sun, 16/17th? Like I said before, my brothers in town and want to take him offroadin. The only stipulation is on Saturday we have to back in Phx by 5-6 for The Supercross and on Sunday we have to be at the airport by 5. That should be doable i think. Im no trail expert, so anyone got any ideas or want to go? I know LukeZero wants to out too while he's here. Post up ladies.

Where you wanna go?

Here, I'll start the bidding- DeSoto or Pyeatte Draw. Neither one of which is likely to get us home by 5 or 6. Both, however, show off the beauty of their respective areas, and are somewhat challenging. Not good for the Supercross, but great for out-of-towners.

I can't remember the last time I got home from a trail before 6 pm.

Last edited:
I might do Crown King again, if no other ideas pop up in the time frame allowed, since I have ran that trail plenty of times, my brother hasnt been there in years, and if we go early in the morning, we will definately be back by 5. Maybe I shouldnt say definately. Probably best to do it on Sat, he could miss his flight on Sunday if something happened. Would be cool for Luke too, desert to pine is cool to see in just a few hours.

I might do Crown King again, if no other ideas pop up in the time frame allowed, since I have ran that trail plenty of times, my brother hasnt been there in years, and if we go early in the morning, we will definitely be back by 5. Maybe I shouldnt say definately. Probably best to do it on Sat, he could miss his flight on Sunday if something happened. Would be cool for Luke too, desert to pine is cool to see in just a few hours.

Best get an early start, it seems that no matter the run it extends into the early evening :meh:- maybe a run up to table Mesa and hit the playground, river for a handful of hours for your Sunday run.

Maybe Shannon meant "Laddies":hmm:

This time of year Florence Junction is good for newbies & out-a-towners. too. If it rains there could be water running in the box.

Luke's camping in North Scottsdale. We should keep that in mind.:meh:

Luke's camping in North Scottsdale. We should keep that in mind.:meh:

Don't worry about me. The rental car has unlimited miles. And, no, I'm not wheeling it.

Montana Mountain

Close
Scenic
Pines
Be home in time

Phil, Ive seen you mention this area before. Got any pics? The topo shows the road switchbacks alot (not unusual for the area) - what is the road like once off the highway? Graded, bouldery, ? how would you rate it?

Phil, Ive seen you mention this area before. Got any pics? The topo shows the road switchbacks alot (not unusual for the area) - what is the road like once off the highway? Graded, bouldery, ? how would you rate it?

Last time we were up there was September '08; easy drive, little rough but not bad at all. Here is the thread; some pics starting at post #23. The pix for the more difficult situations are not on Montana Mountain road, but are from Mini-Moab east of Superior/off Oak Flats Campground. Montana Mountain road normally comes out at the Arboretum, but there is an option to keep going east - that part is used less, is a little more difficult and bouldery, especially since you can't use the nice mine road to get out towards the power station.

Oh, and by the way: that crushed rock light on my truck still works...:hillbilly:

thanks for the link ~ that whole area is amazingly scenic. I still would like to check out the mini-Moab area some day. It looks like a fun run from the pictures.

Last edited:
I may be able to tag along for a Saturday or Sunday run somewhere. I would be interested in Crown King (mainly because I am a Westsider).

Please post up the final plans, when you have decided.

Thanks

So, meet what time, what day, where?

Montana would be rated easy. You can go in the washes and find some play areas
IMG_3878-1.jpg

That is one we found. I haven't explored many others but I bet there are a few

I didn't know that picture was so big

trail- Crown King
Day- Sat, Jan. 16th (Happy Birthday to us!!)
time- 9 a.m.
meeting place- gas station on Carefree Hwy (74), just east of the 17

gotta be back in town by 5 p.m. at the latest for the Supercross, but that should be totally doable. Take the 17 back into Phoenix. Lunch at the Mill in Crown King.

I'll get directions from someone at Sonic on Friday night. I've been watching the weather out there. 70*F sure beats 15*F!

Cardinals game on Saturday.......anybody want to go on Sunday?

Nobody for Sunday? I wanted to do Crown King, I just can't do it on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom