Aussie Locker Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed an Aussie Locker in the rear axle of my 1993 FZJ80 today. I found the instructions a little disorganzied, but the install was easy nonetheless.

Here are some photos of the install for those who are allergic to bananas ;) .

1. Follow the instructions provided by Aussie Locker. These pictures and instructions are only additional help.

2. After the rear axle is safely supported on jack stands, you need to pull the rear axles out a few inches so you will be able to remove the third member from the axle.

2A. Undo the flange nuts, remove the flat washers, and GENTLY tap the sides of the flange to get the cone washers to release. You can do this without removing the wheels, but if the cone washers wont release, you'll need to remove the wheels to get a better angle on the flange. The cones will eventuall come loose, and probably shoot out at you.

2B. Pull the axle out 4-5 inches.

Axle%20Out.jpg

3. Now you need to remove the third member.

3A. Disconnect the drive shaft at the third member and tie it up out of your way. Or, take the whole shaft off, take the opportunity to lube it, and set it aside.

3B. Remove the nuts and get some help to remove the third--the whole differential, carrier, ring, and pinion are in there--it's heavy.

Shaft and Bolts.jpg

4. If you're not sure what you're looking at, here ya go:

The Diff.jpg

5. Remove the pinion shaft pin, the pinion shaft, the spider gears and their cupped thrust washers, and the side gears and their flat thrust washers.

Gears Out.jpg

6. Check out your Aussie Locker. Not many parts:

Aussie Parts.jpg

7. Put a little MP grease on the side gears--both sides of both gears--and put a flat thrust washer on the axle end of the axle gear.

Axle Gear and Washer.jpg

8. Put the axle gears in the carrier where the side gears used to be. (The grease should help hold things together.)

Axle Gears In.jpg

9. Put some grease on the spacers, and place them on the axle gears.

10. Carefully slide the pinion shaft back in between the spacers--just support the pinion shaft, rather than putting the pinion shaft pin back in.

Spacers and Pinion In.jpg

11. Now you need to measure the clearances between the pinion shaft and each spacer.

11A. Carefully wedge a flat-head screwdriver between the pinion shaft and spacers to fully seat the spacers and axle gears.

11B. Use a feeler guage to measure the clearances. If you're out of Aussie Locker specs, you'll need to replace your side gear thrust washers as appropriate.

Pinion Shaft Clearance.jpg

12. If you're within Aussie Locker specs, you're ready to put the cam gears in. Grease everything to help it stick.

12A. First put one Aussie Locker pin in each slot on the cam gears. The small nub on each pin goes in first.

12B. Pull the spacers out and put them in the cam gears--arranged so that everything will be pointing the right way when the cam and axle gear teeth are meshed.

12C. Put one cam gear in on one axle gear (the teeth obviously need to mesh). Reseat the spacer by pushing on it.

12D. Put the other cam gear and spacer on the other axle gear. Rotate the cam gear so the gaps align to give you a hole. Stick your finger in the hole to reseat the other spacer.

Cam Gears In.jpg

13. Keeping the cam gears aligned, slide each pin out of its slot where it will insert into a matching hole on the other cam gear.

Slide the Pin.jpg

14. The last thing you need to do is put the little springs in the slots, underneath the pins. The springs will fit in the side of the slot with a little careful help from a screwdriver. The spring will seat onto the little nub on the pin. Be patient and go slow.

14A. Using a dial caliper, take a final measurement of the the clearance between the two cam gears. If you're in spec with the previous pinion shaft-spacer measurement, you should be fine here. If not, troubleshoot according to the Aussie Locker instructions.

Spring In.jpg

15. If you're in spec, you're Aussie Locker is installed. Make sure everything is clean, put on a new gasket, and put it all back together.

16. Don't forget to test the locker per Aussie Locker instructions. Read and follow them exactly.

17. Beverage Break :beer:

Hayes

Awesome. Your going to love your Aussie locker. I've had mine for about a year now, it's really a great product especially for the price and ease of installation.
Great write up and pics too.

Nice write up Hayes! I've installed several on 60 series trucks, I thought with the full float it may be easier on the 80, but forgot you have to pull the whole 3rd out. On the 60 you can install it with the chunk still in the axle.

That is a great write-up. Thanks for sharing.......on a sentimental note, i'm very impressed at the time folks take on this board to share information in detail. It is appreciated.

very nice write up... you have filled in the areas where the instruction were really lacking. The other thing worth mentioning is that if you take the entire case out, it should be a 2 man job.... that sucker is heavy!!

I also LOVE having the locker in. It really makes a tremendous difference. It gets me in trouble pretty quickly:beer:

The other thing worth mentioning is that if you take the entire case out, it should be a 2 man job.... that sucker is heavy!!
I concur. My better half manned the floor jack while I pulled the third member out onto it. I'd guess it weighs approximately 50 lb. The floor jack made even more of a difference during the reinstallation process.

Great product, any experience about how reliable it is?
recomended for everyday transport?

I concur. My better half manned the floor jack while I pulled the third member out onto it. I'd guess it weighs approximately 50 lb. The floor jack made even more of a difference during the reinstallation process.

Funny thing is, I was stupid enough to try it by myself. First time I've bench-pressed anything in years :doh: .
It worked out fine, but I was lucky I didn't drop it, bang it, and damage myself and the ring gear.

"3B. Remove the nuts and get some help to remove the third--the whole differential, carrier, ring, and pinion are in there--it's heavy."

Yes. REMOVING THE THIRD MEMBER IS A TWO-PERSON JOB.

Awesome thread. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and share. It basically doubles the time it takes to do any of these jobs for those who have never tried. Thanks again for the effort!

Excellent write up. We will include this thread on our site for people who are looking for installation assistance with this model locker.

will these instructions work for an FJ62 ?

just bought a set of Aussie lockers for the rear of my 85FJ62 and was wondering whether these excellent instructions would cover my vehicle since i saw a different way in AL's site under "Toyota".
Thx

:doh:

Hayes,
Great documentary wrenching.

Question: Does the locker comes with the side gear thrust washers? If not, are those easy to find? I am wondering if I find out the spacing is incorrect in the middle of installation, where can I find those washers?

Thanks,

Vincent
97 FJ80

Question: Does the locker comes with the side gear thrust washers? If not, are those easy to find? I am wondering if I find out the spacing is incorrect in the middle of installation, where can I find those washers?

They are a Toyota factory item, and there are a range of thicknesses, specific to each carrier's particular measurements.

My local dealer had to order them in special, and there was one thickness that was NOT available, period. After reading about installs here on MUD, it looked like most folks are finding themselves within Aussie specs with their existing washers. Nonetheless, I ordered one set from the top of the thickness range, and one from the bottom, just in case.

I got lucky--I would have barely been in spec with my old washers. I used the new washers--one thicker and one thinner--to get more symmetrical, and closer to the middle of the Aussie specs.

If you've got a friendly local parts dealer, you could buy a selection of washer to be safe, and then return what you don't use--that was what my local guy did.

Hayes

Hayes, thanks for the info. May I ask you how much it costs you for the entire set of washers? I don't know whether my local dealer will allow me to return for special order item. Even if so, I would expect a high restocking fees.

Thanks.

Vincent

nice write up. I'll give it to you 80 series guys, you have the best tech write ups.

We also have a pretty good FAQ. If you haven't seen it, take a look. Ken & Jamie have done a great job with the organization and linking to past threads.

-B-

Hayes, thanks for the info. May I ask you how much it costs you for the entire set of washers? I don't know whether my local dealer will allow me to return for special order item. Even if so, I would expect a high restocking fees.

Thanks.

Vincent

If I remember correctly, the washers were $8-$12 a pair. There are several thicknesses--you could quickly approach $100 in washers.

If you can deal with having your truck down for a week or so, just tear into it and measure your tolerances. If you're in spec, :beer: great :beer:. If you're a little out, you can order the exact washer you need. You'll just have to wait a few days to finish.

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom