turbo build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
started build
ditched the idea to build onto oe manifold. am making completely new manifold. slow work

tapped into the oil pan for oil return

put oil cooler in bumper
CIMG0240.JPG
CIMG0247.JPG

Dusty said:
I realy would like to build my down pipe and bolt ot to the second cat thus eliminating the first cat completely. Will she run allright without one of her cats? Also I would sure like a pic of the plumbing for a rising rate fuel pressure regulator if someone has done the mod.

I dont have a turbo but I am running a single cat and everything seems to fine, no codes, smooth running etc.

BTW my hats off to you for tackling this project, cant wait to see how it all turns out!

dusty it looks like fun. what size/model turbo other goodies did you settle on? (if there is a thread just point me at it) also, where will you route the a/c or does that depend on how it fits together?

i think the 93-94 with the twin stock exhaust downpipes was born for a twin turbo myself :D

turbo is used to4e 46 trim 70 ar intake w 83 ar exhaust-i took it apart and it looks good-is a rebuild garrett. oil feed only (no h20).

external wastegate and intercooler are xstreme ebay knock off stuff-hope they hold

stainless oil feed and return lines

intercooler ducting is all aluminized exhaust tube-old school

the silicone tube couplers aint cheap

I dont know where ac will go yet-have a guy who will make a custm ac line but he wisely said to come back after the turbo is in

I just hope I can control the heat. part of this is turbo selection and I think im good here. But my rig has 130k+ miles with orriginal HG. I wont push her hard. She wont see 4000 rpms. (well not often anyway) a supra fuel pump and BEGI thingy are in the works. I can get a cheap supra pump on ebay. What does an oe supra pump run? (dan?)

Last edited:
A single cat will be fine. As a matter of fact I think its better due to less back pressure being created in the system and allowing the turbo to breath a little more freely. I don't remember what I paid Dan for the Supra fuel pump but I don't think it was all that much if memory serves. Make sure you do that mod as it will greatly ensure your peace of mind.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Awesome Build.

Just curious.

When running a single cat, what does one do with the extra O2 sensor?

Good question. I would think so long as the upstream sensor is reading a similar signal to the downstream sensor it wouldn't matter how many cats there are in between. just a guess.

Dusty said:
I realy would like to build my down pipe and bolt ot to the second cat thus eliminating the first cat completely. Will she run allright without one of her cats? Also I would sure like a pic of the plumbing for a rising rate fuel pressure regulator if someone has done the mod.

Dusty, in the hope it helps, I only run one cat (3" magnaflow hi flow/hi po) with no problemo whatsoever. Hey as you build this badboy up if you need any pics lemme know and I'll send some to ya. HTH. :cheers:

Dusty said:
reffug
was there any catch to installing the supra pump or does it just bolt right in?

No catch bolted right in except for the fuel strainer attachment at the bottom of the unit which was slightly irritating as I recall.

reffug fuel pump thread

That looks like it is coming along. That is a Spearco style intercooler? I had one on my GN powered RX-7 rated at 600hp and .8psi pressure drop 1080cfm.

I don't think RPM's will hurt the motor as long as you have a good tune. 5,000rpm is nothing.

How do you propose to manipulate the air/fuel/timing tables?

Where did you get the s/s elbows?

If you can make a 2nd exhaust flange I would be interested.

You should just install a Walbro 340 (255lph hi pressure) fuel pump. They are around $89-109 new and I've used them in every car I have built up. Just don't run out of fuel or they seem to burn up from lack of lubrication.

Dusty said:
But my rig has 130k+ miles with orriginal HG. I wont push her hard. She wont see 4000 rpms. (well not often anyway)

Boy, if there ever was a time to toss a head gasket in, IT'S NOW!. The motor is partially apart already. Think about what it's going to look like when you pile all that stuff back in there. You will be pissed when the head gasket lets go and you have to take all that extra stuff off just to get down to the point you are now.

D-

cruiserdan said:
Boy, if there ever was a time to toss a head gasket in, IT'S NOW!. The motor is partially apart already. Think about what it's going to look like when you pile all that stuff back in there. You will be pissed when the head gasket lets go and you have to take all that extra stuff off just to get down to the point you are now.

D-

well he's only done the easy side so far and he didn't even have a pair valve to unbolt :D but I agree with Dan that if you are doing this a h/g shoudl go in. you will presumably be cleaning the rail and injectors, and replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump regulator anyway, so by that time you may as well pull the head.

Are you putting in larger injectors? What about a rising rate fuel pressure regulator?

I would do the HG now as well like the other guys are saying. It is already torn apart... may as well get into it a little deeper and fix a future problem.

Got some more done

Reffug--thanks for the thread

GNK--the weld els are plain sc40 "WELDBEND" and I got them at the local commercial plumbing supply. (they are 1.5" ID) They are not cheap-each "T" was $22. The elbows were only $7 each. They weld up nice (with careful prep). As you probably suspect that flange was a bitch. I'd be willing to make more for cash but you probably dont want to pay what it would cost to get me to do that again. All you do is trace the gasket, punch holes with a 1 3/8 hole saw, and grind like hell. Note that I still need to take my air die grinder to the exhaust holes and shape them to the block holes (the hole saw makes a round hole but the exhaust comming out the block is oblong) Ill show pics when I get there

Fellas the HG advise is well taken and I should change it. However I'm not planning on it. No new or cleaned injectors. no messing with the fuel rail. (But I did change the fuel filter last year) I just dont have time to do all that stuff right now so I will plan on doing it this summer (at leaste the HG). I did call Geiko and am planning on buying extensive roadside insurance if this thing passes a couple weeks of testing after the turbo is in. ;) Im planning on getting a supra pump but not untill I drive her easy for a few weeks. No sense getting a new fuel pump if she's only going to burn to the ground anyway.:cheers:
CIMG0252.JPG
CIMG0253.JPG
CIMG0254.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom