Do not buy Marlin Crawler Inner Axle Seals... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just completed a front axle job and replaced my inner axle seals with what I thought was a superior part to OEM Toyota inner axle seals. My front left seal is already leaking after less than 50 miles driven!

the only other problem that could cause this that I am aware of besides a crappy inner axle seal is grooves in my axle. Am I correct in saying that?

I thoroughly inspected my axle for grooves and noticed nothing.

I read other posts that had the exact same problem as me with the Crawler Axle seals leaking. They then replaced them with OEM and no longer had the problems. I already had the Marlin axle seals when I read that so I figured I would give them a try because others said they were great...

Should I go ahead and get back in there and replace with Toyota OEM like I plan? I just wanna get your guys opinions before I waste more grease and gear oil... Thanks guys

JUST PLEASE LEARN FROM ME AND DON'T USE THEM BECAUSE I AM PISSED!

Marlin Crawler makes other good items to the best of my knowledge though... Not bashing the company just one of their products.

I'm getting ready to put mine in today but I'm going to hold off until you get some replies so that I don't run into the same problem especially since I am going with all amsoil grease and oils. If nobody has any input then I might just not take the chance and go with the oem that came with the kit, I figure since I got 350k on the originals than why try to upgrade. After all I'm only rebuilding because of a slight clicking on tight turns so the seals actually outlasted the joints. I'm putting in new axles too. With my luck in going to the nitro 30 spline deal instead of oem stuff because of cost, I'll be doing this again in 35k instead of 350k. See that, you've got me second guessing myself Cheers, Dan

It's well known that Marlins Eco seals do not work well on the 80 series, full time 4WD.

Go OEM.

I'm getting ready to put mine in today but I'm going to hold off until you get some replies so that I don't run into the same problem especially since I am going with all amsoil grease and oils. If nobody has any input then I might just not take the chance and go with the oem that came with the kit, I figure since I got 350k on the originals than why try to upgrade. After all I'm only rebuilding because of a slight clicking on tight turns so the seals actually outlasted the joints. I'm putting in new axles too. With my luck in going to the nitro 30 spline deal instead of oem stuff because of cost, I'll be doing this again in 35k instead of 350k. See that, you've got me second guessing myself Cheers, Dan

While I think the general consensus is that the OEM seals are the way to go, there are some of us that put in the Marlin seals a while back and haven't had issues. Mine have about 10k/2 years on them and doing fine. That said, if you are tearing into it, OEM is prolly the way to go. :cheers:

Go OEM. When I recently did my knuckle service I put in one marlin and one oem....100 miles later the marlin was leaking like crazy. I tore it back down and put in an OEM. No leaks. Only upside is the whole knuckle doesn't have to come off to just replace the seal so its like a hour job with all the regreasing an all.

Thanks guys. I am glad I stopped someone else from making my mistake and going with Marlin Seals. I will brake it down again this weekend and install OEM on both sides and hope for the best. To anyone else who is rebuilding learn from us and GO OEM!

yea pretty common knowledge now that they are not a good replacement to OEM. The set i put in started to leak within 5,000 miles.

I did mine with OEM, and had one leak after 100 miles or so. Turns out there was a slight "nick" where the seal seats and it caused the seal to bend just enough for oil to seep in. I was furious, but glad I discovered it. I smoothed it out, replaced it again with OEM and havent had an issue since. So, make sure you dont have a nick or anything there that may have caused it to leak. Best I can figure is that I put the nick in it while removing the old seal with my puller.

I believe the issue it's pure related to the use and wear of the AWD .. I did my 80 ( and my 60 ) which it's part time with Marlin seals and have no leak problems ..

If you do have a nick I think a great tool that would fit is a metal burr/rasp bit that goes on the die grinder. I use them all the time for many things. A good quality one can really chew through some material and at low speed could take a little nick down in a sec.

pic of bit: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f74/what-does-dremal-metal-grinder-look-like-123655/

A safer bet might be a round sand pad on a dremel.

Sorry to hear, I did a total rebuild of the front axle in April before GSMTR put in Marlin's inner seals/bearing kits/heavy duty studs and used the longfield wipers. I wheeled the heck out of it at GSMTR to break it in and almost drive it everyday since so far no issues.

image-2633014378.jpg

image-186003061.jpg

strangely enough, there was a time IIRC when the Marlin seal was deemed to be much better than the OEM.
Which is it now?

OEM all the time 24/7. Opinion Only, :)

strangely enough, there was a time IIRC when the Marlin seal was deemed to be much better than the OEM.
Which is it now?

It seems by the many thread on the topic, the Marlin's have issues with 80 awd. No first hand experience, but over the years have watched this topic come up. Nothing against Marlin at all.... just seems most are happy with OEM in this department. YMMMV.

2 years and 20-25k miles on my marlins. No issues here. I've got 2 other buddies that used them as well with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom