New Dome Lights based on George’s LEDs (Gauging Interest) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

supercarrera

I Like LEDs
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
New Dome Lights based on George’s LEDs - Taking Orders

Update: These are Now Shipping!

What's available:

Dome Lights
Map Lights
Door Lights

For ordering information, please send me an email at supercarrera(at)gmail(dot)com.

If you have an OEM cargo light that you've added to the very back of your cruiser, let me know, because these use longer contacts than the standard domes.

Note: I made plenty of these so don't be afraid to request them despite not chiming in on this thread to show interest.

Thanks,

Scott

I have George’s first generation dome lights and they’re still going strong but I was interested in seeing what it would take to upgrade them. So I contacted George and we’ve been talking about ways to create a new dome light by using a new, more efficient driver design and a better LED.

I made a prototype of a new dome light using one of Georges latest driver boards, the CC1A, which is fully automotive rated. I added a Cree XP-G natural white (4000k temperature) LED and I’m happy to report that the light is both brighter and much more pleasing in color than the first gen dome LEDs that are in my cruiser now. While the cool white light coming from the first gen Luxeons reminds me of being in a laundromat, the more natural color emitted from the Cree XP-G has more of an incandescent-like glow.

If enough interest is expressed, I can go ahead and ask George to design a new driver board based on his CC1A driver. I’ll order a run of these with natural white Cree XP-G LEDs. I think I can offer the new dome lights for sale at around $45 apiece.

The new dome lights should emit, according to Cree, 120 lumens while drawing only 100 mA and have a pleasing natural white color that is closer to daylight.

The benefits of the new LED domes:

• Greater light output
• Low amp draw
• Long life
• High cri index
• Very pleasing warm white color
• High output
• Protection against voltage spikes
• Reverse polarity protection

Last edited:
DO NOT TEASE!!!!!

1000% I'm in. I'm so utterly tired of the cheap Chinese crap being bandied about on this forum.

Edit: for posterity; (4) dome lights and (2) map lights.

Last edited:
I am in for a set or 3....need pics, i hate the SUPER BRIGHT output of the currently avail kits. The warm light sounds much better, 4000k sounds just about right!

How long will they be warrantied for?

This is not a tease! :) I'm completely ready to have these made. It requires an investment so I just want to make sure people are interested before I go through with it.

I have a lot of confidence that these will last a long time. I can probably guarantee them for at least a few years. I bought my generation one LEDs over 6 years ago and they're still going strong.

I'll post some pics of the prototype I made as soon as I get a chance.

Scott

I'm in for 2. Any solution for the front, or will yours fit this also?

3? I only have two dome lights :) I think...

I'm in for two dome lights.

Did George mention anything about a matching map light? ;)

I'm in for two dome lights.

Did George mention anything about a matching map light? ;)

Not to worry. I plan on making map lights as well but first things first. :)

Not to worry. I plan on making map lights as well but first things first. :)

Looks like we are close, i live in Alamo!

Where do you wheel at?

I would be interested also pending final design and price.

Any pics?

I would be in pending pics. I would also want the map, 2 dome, and possibly 4 door full LED set. I could live with the map and domes only though.

My OCD won't let me have mismatching lights in my truck.

Supercarrera, did you say that each LED would be roughly $45 each? Thanks.

Yes. So you know, George made some bad ass LEDs a few years ago and then stopped. I'm assuming because they were too popular. Now his work can be fund on the black market for top dollar. Everyone hoards what they have. Even if they wind up selling their truck, they hold onto George's LEDs...just in case ;)

These are NOT the crap that has been sold here lately.

2 domes and the map light for me. I'm in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom