Warn winch install. Because D'Animal said... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyotaDon

I am here
Threads
Website
good-times.webshots.com
..."if you don't do it right the first time, what makes you expect you'll do it right the second or third time?"

My response would be that these kinds of things are a process, and if you have to do it halfway, then come back to it, so be it.

Now, to the process!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013: Ordered Warn VR1000-S from 4WheelParts.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013: Asked lovely :princess: to pick up winch from 4WheelParts in Fresno while nearby. Told her how lovely she was when she brought it home.

Thursday, April 11, 2013: Pulled Cranberry Cruiser into shop (at end of day) and took front Slee original old-style bumper off in ~20 minutes. Left Cruiser parked at work overnight.

Friday, April 12, 2013: Installed winch into bumper in feet-forward position without clocking brake housing (left a voicemail for D'Animal asking if/how housing should be clocked). Had to buy 2 longer bolts for fairlead to winch mounting. Mounted solenoid box in standard location, but found it would not fit when reinstalling bumper. Fabricated temporary bracket to hold solenoid box in location near license plate. This was when D'Animal returned my call and made the above comment about doing things right the first time.

Picture of temporary bracket attached to Warn bracket.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xfqpPLe6vA8/UXObUrbuDlI/AAAAAAAAEuI/gc3-JWzkm78/s640/IMG_5831.JPG

Progress stalled until 1 week later.

Friday, April 19, 2013: Received bracket which my cousin graciously welded together from scraps on hand.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qOtZ4EZ5JdM/UXObTAC2EKI/AAAAAAAAEt4/ATx437oYmZE/s640/IMG_5829.JPG

Saturday, April 20, 2013: Worked with grinder, sander, & drill to make a finished product.

Had to make some cutouts to fit the bottom of the solenoid box.

It looks real nice mounted to the back of the license plate tabs...

...but it located the box too close to the grille & valance. Rather than elongate the holes, I just mounted it to the front of the tabs. Now it fits just right.

All installed, but oops :eek:, it's not painted yet. I centered the box over the fairlead so there would be more space to access the brake control lever.

Saturday evening: Picked up some paint & primer at Lowe's and shot a couple coats of each onto the bracket.

Sunday, April 21, 2013: Installed the painted bracket and tightened the 3 cables which attach to the winch motor. No pictures yet; it looks the same, you can just see a little bit of the black when looking down at it.

Still to come: Connecting to the battery and spooling the synthetic line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom