Got my ARB- Looking for mod ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
I finally picked up my new to me ARB bumper. I got it from mud classifieds: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/681600-arb-80s-series-bumper-l.html

Took it of the original owner's truck effortlessly. Have a good feeling it will go onto mine just as easily.

So I am already going to be powder coating it to match the trim of the LX. As long as they need to sandblast it I figured I would do all the welding I need to now. Then PC when done.

I am looking at getting new D-Shackle loops because, of course, the ones on the ARB are just pathetic. I need to hunt down who makes them. I've seen them here but can't readily find them thru search.

Also, I keep reading about beefing up the wings but I can't seem to find any threads or pics on this. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Few notes:
• I will be adding in a winch later on down the road
• I will be mounting Nick's (2000UZJ) LED lights
• Thinking about adding tabs for future limb risers
• Will NOT be mounting the hi-lift to the bumper
• I will be installing a Heaton shower system so the addition of the suction and pressure side connectors need to be included
• Of course the mounting of my jumper cables :grinpimp:

What am I missing??! What should I be consider?!?!

Any other good threads? I think the recent changes Woody made is borking the search functions a bit. :mad:

Great idea BTW. Cut those suckers off! Don't forget to reinforce whats behind them. There are nice bolt on and weld on options available. :cheers:

"I am looking at getting new D-Shackle loops because, of course, the ones on the ARB are just pathetic. I need to hunt down who makes them. I've seen them here but can't readily find them thru search"

I filled in the indention that says 'ARB' when I had mine recoated. I also drilled a series of small holes under the bottom lip in case I ever wanted side or center skid plates to attach.

I want to make a small set of side pieces that mimick the fender guards, but connect them to the rear of the top surface rather than down to the sliders. I have no fender flares, and it needs something there I feel.

If you are concerned for strength, maybe a brace from the outer corner to the frame?

I would mod the turn signal housings to accept your choice of fog lights. Wiring them to be redundant with your other turn indicators is a pain anyway.

Also would consider drilling a hole to plumb in an air outlet.

Finally, while the old bumper is off get the short AC drier or route the lines R12 style.

Here's an idea for your jumper cable connector:

image-35887407.jpg

image-2739531451.jpg

image-1581484828.jpg

Not sure if Tom Shepard would approve though... LOL

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD
image-35887407.jpg
image-2739531451.jpg
image-1581484828.jpg

Here's an idea for your jumper cable connector:

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Tim, do you make the bracket that the plug is bolted to??

About as well as my S/C install. And my barrier install. And my P/S reservoir install. And my drawers build. And....and...and... :flipoff2:

LMAO! I know how that goes man, believe me. Well, maybe not to the extent of your list, but I have a to-do list that never seems to shorten, no matter how much I get done.

BTW here is what the bottom and back of it looks like. Is this a different design because I don't see the lip that others refer to. The wing for sure needs love.
image-892772807.jpg
image-3753093459.jpg
image-2913417344.jpg

You consider, or have need, to tuck it, Joey?

Don't know the specifics of intended usage, but appears the wings can drastically impact approach.

Depends what you mean by tuck it. No hard core rock crawling for me. It's more expedition use.

Nice steal NLXTACY. I had emailed last night about the bumper and wanted a photo before driving down. Checked my email today and was informed it was sold. Then went to browse Mud and the first thing I see is your post. :) Jealous but it went to a good guy.

Joey on my ARB although a 60 series.. I boxed the wings n welded shut the front turn signals.. n cut out an access hole panel at the top for tools n tire chains...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom