steel wheels and back spacing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched and found a little information but would like some more. I plan on buying some new tires (285/75 R16) this week and want to mount them on new steel rims on my 94 FZJ-80. I found where people are using 16x8 rims with 4.5" back spacing but when I called 4WP they said they only had 4.0 and 4.25. Would these work??

Is 4.5" on a 16x8 wheel ideal or a must?

Thanks

4.0 or 4.25 would be better in my opinion. This would widen you up some.

ginericfj80 said:
4.0 or 4.25 would be better in my opinion. This would widen you up some.

Do you know of any problems running wheels with those back spacing?

There shouldn't be any problems running that backspacing with those 285 tires. However, when decreasing the backspacing (wheels stick out more), you are more likely to have interference problems on the outer edge of the wheel. With your set-up, I'd go with the 4" backspacing wheels granted you have some lift. If no lift, maybe go with the 4.25" ones.

The 2.5" lift is in the mail!

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the stock aluminum wheels 16x8? If so, what is their back spacing? Do they have a positive offset?

With a lift, what is ideal with 285 tires (fitment, not necessarliy looks); 4", 4.25", or 4.5"?

Thanks

I really would like to order the wheels tomorrow and just don't want to do something I will regret. I know there are more out there that have aftermarket wheels. Discount told me that our stock rims have 5" backspacing!?

help

4.5" is stock. I've run as little as 3.25" backspacing. I would order the 4" ones.

Stick with 4-1/2". If you go with MT or other alloys you'd find a common size is 4-7/16". For 285s the 1/4" or so difference isn't that big of deal, but as you go to larger tires you'll have problems if you try to "widen your stance".

Thanks for the input! As far as I can see... I will never get larger tires. This will be more of an all purpose expedition rig. Since I can't seem to find 4.5" back spacing in a black steel rim I think my only option is 4.25".

Anyone know of a supplier of 16x8 black steel rims with 4.5" backspacing???

LCconvert said:
The 2.5" lift is in the mail!

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the stock aluminum wheels 16x8? If so, what is their back spacing? Do they have a positive offset?

With a lift, what is ideal with 285 tires (fitment, not necessarliy looks); 4", 4.25", or 4.5"?
Stock wheels are 4.5" backspacing or Zero Offset. If you were to measure the rim w/o the tire, it would actually measure closer to 9" wide because you include the lip (flanges). That's how they get 4.5" of backspacing. A 4" backspacing on 8" wide wheel will be slightly positive offset. We are only talking a 1/2" here, any choice will work fine. In fact many guys runs 1" spacers which would give an equivalent backspacing of 3.5"

So you guys sound like just about any wheel with close to the right backspacing will work. I know this is not true for 60 series disc brake axles-- for those you had to be carefull to find wheels that would clear the caliper-- as well as had the right backspacing. It is a non-trivial challenge to find wheels for an 60 series.

Do you not have caliper clearance issues with 80 series wheels? So just about any steel wheel with the right backspacing will work?

Jared

sjpitts said:
So you guys sound like just about any wheel with close to the right backspacing will work.

Do you not have caliper clearance issues with 80 series wheels? So just about any steel wheel with the right backspacing will work?

Jared

80s limiting factor in wheels is actually the rear brakes. Because of the 16" size there is not as much of an issue with the calipers. Since there are a lot of 16" rims with 4.5" backspacing there are a lot of choices. And that keeps you close to stock depending upon wheel design.

Let me add to the stupid questions. I myself have been needing to get some new rims due to a 3000 mile hike and don't want to do it on my MT's with the family and new baby. I have my original tires still and wanted to mount them to some Cragar black steel rims. Worried about the back spacing (5) becuase I'd like to put my 285/75 16in Yoko MT on them or the factory tires. If you have any input please type away. Looking for cheap and this was the cheapest I could find. 208.00 shipped thanks if need be I can start a new topic.
Summit Racing
Part # CRR-3977860P $49.95
Brand: Cragar
Product Line: Cragar Black Soft 8 Wheels
Rim Diameter (in): 16
Rim Width (in): 8.00
Backspacing (in): 5.00
Rim Material: Steel
Center Material: Steel
Wheel Finish: Black
Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat
Wheel Construction: 2-piece
Conical Seat Taper: 60 degree
Hub Centric: No

ginericfj80 said:
80s limiting factor in wheels is actually the rear brakes. Because of the 16" size there is not as much of an issue with the calipers. Since there are a lot of 16" rims with 4.5" backspacing there are a lot of choices. And that keeps you close to stock depending upon wheel design.

It is not really the size of the rim that causes caliper problems on 60 series. It is the shape of the center section-- the "spokes" on the rim. If the center section has too much meat, or too much curve, the back side of the "spokes" rub the side the 60 series caliper. So it seems like it wouldn't matter what the diameter of the wheel is in this case-- except to the extent that larger wheels have different shaped center sections.

Jared

sjpitts said:
It is not really the size of the rim that causes caliper problems on 60 series. It is the shape of the center section-- the "spokes" on the rim. If the center section has too much meat, or too much curve, the back side of the "spokes" rub the side the 60 series caliper. So it seems like it wouldn't matter what the diameter of the wheel is in this case-- except to the extent that larger wheels have different shaped center sections.

Jared

Exactly the 16" wheels have more flat centers.

ripleykantoo said:
Let me add to the stupid questions. I myself have been needing to get some new rims due to a 3000 mile hike and don't want to do it on my MT's with the family and new baby. I have my original tires still and wanted to mount them to some Cragar black steel rims. Worried about the back spacing (5) becuase I'd like to put my 285/75 16in Yoko MT on them or the factory tires. If you have any input please type away. Looking for cheap and this was the cheapest I could find. 208.00 shipped thanks if need be I can start a new topic.
Summit Racing
Part # CRR-3977860P $49.95
Brand: Cragar
Product Line: Cragar Black Soft 8 Wheels
Rim Diameter (in): 16
Rim Width (in): 8.00
Backspacing (in): 5.00
Rim Material: Steel
Center Material: Steel
Wheel Finish: Black
Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat
Wheel Construction: 2-piece
Conical Seat Taper: 60 degree
Hub Centric: No

Kyle I would say NO! They might work with your stock tires, but you are effectively narrowing your track 1" Every inch counts. This might also cause rubbing on the inside of the frame when you turn. And with bigger tires will most definitely rub in the rear.

I went out and measured and it looks like I still have a lot of room even if I go with the 5in back spacing. They are just so cheap that I wanna buy 2 sets. :) I guess most of you are also looking at the tire spacing when your at a full flex which might make a bigger diffrence. Unless some one can point me to some Black Steelies with 4.5 back spacing for under 60 bucks. Thanks for the the input and searching...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom