Builds Mtbcoach's Livestrong II build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Its time for me to make a build thread for my Livestrong II build, moving from the '07 GSJ15 to our '97 FZJ80. For those not familiar with my FJC build, check the link in my sig or this one, it might help understand how I don't really do things lightly... https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/347356-mtbcoachs-livnstrng-build-up-thread.html#post5115172

As much as the FJC was a great build and an outstanding vehicle for us over the 5 1/2 years we owned it, its time had come to pass for our needs and family. Truth be told, had I had the understanding, knowledge and experience I now have with the FZJ80 series vehicles BEFORE I bought the FJC, it wouldn't have happened.

I LOVE the FZJ80's, perfect fit. I bought this '97 40th edition with 148k on it as the vehicle my daughters would drive as new drivers. And, I did it just to please my wife, thanks to Woody.

Yes, while at the '08 FJCruiser Summit, Woody spun tales of the 80, culminating with the tale of a horrendous crash where the driver walked away. As I slipped Woody a nice tip, I could see the wheels turning in the wife's head. The deal was clinched after we had our annual club Meet and Greet event where she had a chance to stick her nose in everyone's 80's. The drive home started the search for one for the girls to drive.

However, I had always put them on notice, once you graduate HS, I get to re-take possession. This last week I officially repossessed it from them and now IT'S MINE...:D

Here it is as it first arrived and our oldest gave it a nice wash as she took possession, unlocked, everything works, ready for duty as a High Schooler's Daily Driver...
1997fzj80-30.jpg

1997fzj80-02.jpg

1997fzj80-07.jpg

1997fzj80-17.jpg

Not being one that can leave well enough alone, along with MetalTech having a "clearance" sale, gave Mark a call and he had a OME J lift on the shelf he wanted to move. That and a set of his spacers to reduce and stinkbug appearance and on it goes...
IMG_8200.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

Used Landtank brackets and a home-made sway bar spacer...
IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

Of course, after a bit of suspension upgrade, I had to put some shoes on it to match so I dropped 5 BFG KM2's in 315/75/16's. That way the girls will be above most of their threats of safety. So she drove for the past few years, safely taking daughter 1 and daughter 2 through their HS driving.

Now its my turn...

A few relatively minor upgrades were performed while the girls were driving it. First was a 4X4 Labs rear bumper kit. Our club (Olde North State Cruisers) went in on a group buy, I helped build a couple of them in our club's first group buy and couldn't let this one pass by...
4x4labbumper-7.jpg

4x4labbumper-6.jpg

4x4labbumper-3.jpg

4x4labbumper-4.jpg

4x4labbumper-5.jpg

It came out great, I really like Luke's design and the form/function of this bumper.

Then, a bit of an exhaust issue came to light so I had our local exhaust shop bend me up a nice set up from the down tube back...
fzj80exhaust-02.jpg

fzj80exhaust-04.jpg

fzj80exhaust-05.jpg

fzj80exhaust-07.jpg

Last edited:
Next up, swap in a pair of OEM lockers. I was lucky to pick up a complete set from my friend Chris at Toyota of Dallas who sold me his set complete with wiring, OEM switch, everything to do an easy swap. But, I'd thought it smart to do a bit of work on them before I threw them under the rig.
file.jpg

file-18.jpg

Going with a fresh set of Nitro 4.88 gears...
file-1.jpg

After a bit of time with the wire wheel and a paint can, looks pretty good so far...
file-6.jpg

file-7.jpg

Another set of Landtank brackets on the new axle. They are much easier to drill/install when the knuckle is off and the axle is on a stand...
file-9.jpg

A little knuckle comparison just for the drool factor. The Hellfire knuckles are for another project...
file-11.jpg

file-12.jpg

file-15.jpg

And, my wake up call for the morning. A fresh set of Longfields cut w/groove for hubs, all OEM stuff thanks to Chris at Toyota of Dallas who included the complete knuckle rebuild kit for the axles. I'm including Marlin seals and Longfield wipers. I rebuilt the brakes with OEM seal kit along with a fresh coat of LiveStrong yellow fitted with some TRD pads...
file-54.jpg

Gave some love to the knuckles with a scotchbrite and elbow grease...
file-47.jpg

Fresh seals, learned some things doing this bit of maintenance. Found one frozen piston and a torn seal in another. Very glad I had planned to do this and had the seals on hand. Not a tough job as long as one has the right tools. I'm glad I had an ample source of compressed air to get the frozen piston free...
file-50.jpg

file-51.jpg

before...
file-58.jpg

file-59.jpg

file-70.jpg

Last edited:
Look great Jerry, served your family well and is well on it's way for a new/different tour of duty.

What is it about 80 series that you like so much? I loved your FJ, curious to hear what makes you like the 80 so much more.

What is it about 80 series that you like so much? I loved your FJ, curious to hear what makes you like the 80 so much more.

Loved the FJC also, did everything I asked it to do when I wanted to do it. Yet...

What do I love about the 80...:hmm:

visibility, 4 real doors with room in the second row for grown ups w/windows that roll down, room in the 3rd row for my big dogs/cargo w/windows the slide open for the dogs, live axles front/rear w/lockers, discs, ABS, airbags, similar MPG w/35's...

They wheel very similar in the lack of "flex" in either vehicles front end although the live axle on the 80 will be stronger and offer more opportunties for traction.

Dont want to make this an 80 vs FJC thread, been done to death I'm sure. Love them both, they both have their place, just couldn't justify keeping both...

beno said:
Because he is finally driving a Land Cruiser!

Hey, I take offense to that statement. Haha.

Looking forward to the progress and appreciate the input and participation on the FJC. Following the part time thread, as well.

Love them both, but embracing the 80 ( well, in my case, the PP80 ) build with more fervor.

Ain't this fun?

He saw mine and couldn't get enough :flipoff2:

Good stuff Jerry.... let me know when you are serious about the bigger tire :grinpimp:

Hey, I take offense to that statement. Haha.

Looking forward to the progress and appreciate the input and participation on the FJC. Following the part time thread, as well.

Love them both, but embracing the 80 ( well, in my case, the PP80 ) build with more fervor.

Ain't this fun?

Its all fun, just have to learn to really wrench on these as compared to just bolting stuff onto the FJC...

He saw mine and couldn't get enough :flipoff2:

Good stuff Jerry.... let me know when you are serious about the bigger tire :grinpimp:

In my dreams Al, maybe I'll go big on the FJ45 project but keep the 80 on 35's for the time being...

Subscribed. Looking good Jerry.

Thanks Greg, glad to see you've got your's back rolling on its own power again. Now that you've got a legit workshop, I expect big things to come out of it...

What gear ratio are you going with?

Think he is sticking with the 4.88's

Looking forward to this build.

Delancy said:
If you don't have them yet, I have new Nitro's I'm sitting on.

Thats what are in the 3rd's in the first post, courtesy of East Coast Gear Supply. They turned them over in a day and for me, they are local so its a 15 min drive to get their service...

Thanks Julian...

Didn't make too much progress, life gets in the way sometimes. I did get the knuckles/spindles put together. Before installing the new bearing on the hubs, I thought it smart to finally check the thickness of the rotors (I know, should have done this during tear-down :whoops: ), one is right at the minimum thickness, one is 1.2 mm away from minimum.

Luckily, the local dealership that works with our club had 2 in stock and I had to run over to pick them up. Gives me more things to do on Independence Day besides brew another batch of homebrew.

I did use the Longfield wipers and find them a simple yet genius design. I have only helped others do knuckle PM before, first time on my own. The ease of install for me and how the Longfield wipers went on was much better than juggling the felt/rubber/steel rings, for the FJ/FZJ80, it replaces all three.

I tried to take some close up pics of how mine installed to share with others who haven't seen them installed...
file-81.jpg

file-83.jpg

file-84.jpg

file-86.jpg

I can't see going back to OEM unless these go south real quick, which I don't expect. I can see how the UHMW will mold/wear/form into an effect seal, as time goes on, it should only get better IMHO.

Good stuff, thanks again to Mr. Longfield...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom