IH8MUD I need your help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off here's what I got:

1997 lx450 132,000 miles.
ARB which bumper
850/860 OME lift
35"BFG AT

Here's the deal. My wife got hit in the DS rear axle. (everyone's fine). Body damage to the rear DS door. Some intrusion into the cabin so the body as well as the door will need to be pulled out. Also the rear DS tire is sitting at a slight angle so there has at least been some damage to the hub.

The adjuster just left and said I have $2800 worth of body damage not counting the hub. He said I'm close to reaching totaling damage and that if they total it and I buy it back I run the risk off ending up with less cash value than that but if the hub isn't that bad then I could end up more. You can see the conundrum I'm in.

My LX came from Chicago and the undercarriage is ate up with rust. I really want to find another 80 so I'm leaning toward taking the cash, getting another one and parting (or selling outright) my LX.

Please give me your thoughts so I can come out if this with the best possible outcome.

Thanks sooooo much in advance.

Buy it back for cheap, part it out, there's really nothing more to add. You can even find one with a bad motor and swap that out too. As long as you have time and space.

I hate to hear that! :mad: Glad your family was not hurt! I'm with the others, if insurance totals it, buy it back (if feasable) and transfer everything that you can off of the wrecked 80 onto your new 80 when you find and buy one. Part everything else out.

I don't know if you've ever parted out a vehicle, but it is very time consuming and can be a large headache. But, as long as you have the time, the space, and the :princess: is okay with it, it's almost a guaranteed money-maker. Which = MORE MODS!!

Good luck. Let me or 'jbsax' know if you need any help. We're just across the river.

Justin

Does the rig have the e-lockers?

Are you a wrench-turner that wouldn't mind swappping all the low miles powertrain into a straight body?

Those are q's I'd answer before making a decision on the buy-back. At the least I'd swap back the bumper & lift before letting it go for salvage/scrap.

Without pics, it's impossible to say for sure, but I'm guessing there is way more damage than $2800. I'm guessing in the $6k+ range. The outer rocker will need to be cut out, then the inner rocker, then everything welded back together.

I have no idea where you are located, but your 80 is unlikely to book for more than $12k (that's the PNW's uber high prices). Most areas they seem to book for $6k-$8k. So yeah, it's gonna be totaled for sure.

I would buy it back and do a body swap on it. Throw in a new rear axle (they're cheap). You'll be good to go, and wouldn't cost much.

Alternatively, buy it back, swap off the parts you want to keep, then sell the whole thing to a Mudder. Someone will want it.

I personally would not part it out, as it's a massive amount of work (though that's where you'll make the most money).

Sorry to hear about your rig. Glad your wife walked away unhurt.
Your adjuster needs the talk. The value is much higher than he has in mind if they total it.
Remember Adjusters are paid to save the Insurance Company $$$$$$ MONEY!
He already started by telling you you won't have much money after you buy it back if totaled. You hav'nt aggreed to a value yet.
Keep your eyes open.

Thanks for all your responses. Just to add it does not have lockers. :bang:

So in everyone's opinion even if they total it and I buy it back I should end up with more than $2800? What worries me ( and remember this thing has a lot of rust) is that they will total it and with the buy back price I'll end up with less than $2800 and I'll be kicking myself!!

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I'm going to let them take it and roll the dice. I hope it works out!! I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.

North Little Rock AR

They will total it and give you market value less about 1700 for the buyback. You then have market value minus 1700 and a broke cruiser to do with what you will...

If they total it, take the money, but I would never take $2800. There are enough for sale on ebay and craigslist to justify almost twice that. Not everybody is a MUD member and knows what these are worth based on a bajillion variables. Expect to put up a fight and make sure you get at least $4k. They are not going to spend a ton of man hours grinding you over a reasonable payout.
I would not mess with parting it out, what a mess, hassle and huge PITA. If it's such a sweet deal, then offer the opportunity to anyone here who wants to pay the buyout and part the truck.
Now you get to shop for the new 80, post pics of the crashed one.:beer:

If I hadendless time and money I'd buy it back. One option is to sell off the parts e.g. the sum is worth more than the whole. But, given that this is now a big project, it has to be reconciled with your ambitions.

There's been a few threads how the owner got tough with the insurance company and ended up getting 2 to 3x's (or more) the original offer. Don't let the insurance company push you around.

I agree with Funner. When my BMW F650GS forks failed, the adjuster was going to give me about $2k less than what the bike was worth. I put up a HUGE fight, showed about 4 bikes just off of Craigslist (the bike was so popular that none were for sale when I needed some to show the adjuster) and tried Ebay. Stick to your guns, show them what the rig is really worth and DO NOT settle until you get at least the $4K.
As for parting out, I would think you would need a lot of extra time to complete that, just find out where they are sending the rig and vulture it until it is released for parting out. Grab the parts you want and bolt, unless you want the motor. FWIW

Fight for the value of a REPLACEMENT for your Cruiser. Make them show you 5-10 97 LCs within 50Miles with comparable condition on a retail lot(that will give them a good idea on what it's worth. You should be able to get $5-6K for it (without buyback). I would do that, buy it back and part it out at least. These trucks are usually worth 1-2K in just parts if you can do the labor and have the time.

Biggest argument I would use is that someone HIT YOU, not the other way around. You have the right to demand a replacement exactly like yours, so do not settle with them until you are satisfied. The longer you make them wait the more likely they are to listen, in my experience...

Good luck, glad everyone was ok.

Well here's the latest.

My insurance company is cutting me a check for $2880. I can take it to a shop of my choice and if there is mechanical damage (there is) they'll either pay the additional cost or total it and I can buy it back. Here's the kicker, if they total it and I buy it back I have to pay the labor cost for them tearing it down to diagnose the problem. With buy back cost this would probably leave me right around where I am now. Also talked to a buddy who owns a body shop and he said chances are since they didn't total it right away history says that they'll pay to fix it.

If they decide to pay the money to repair it I have no say so if they go forward or not. The money goes straight to the body shop and I never see another dime. This is problematic because I've already decided to find another 80 and either sell or part mine out.

I guess I'm going to start looking for another one, move over the parts I want to keep and hope to sell the whole thing wrecked for a reasonable price or :crybaby: part it out.

You should have taken it to several shops BEFORE you accepted the check. Shops will estimate for free, so there's zero cost to you (other than getting it towed). In the long run, it likely would have netted you far more money.

I would not cash the check until you get everything worked out. Once you cash the check, you may be SOL depending on how your insurance laws are written for your state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom