Builds ACC FZJ80 Cage Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was told that if I didn't cage my truck, my son couldn't go wheeling with me anymore.

So heres the build.
I figured, if Im going to go through the trouble of caging an 80, I wanted to protect not only the occupants but enough of the body that I can still open and close the doors, and keep the rain out, i.e. keep the glass, as much as I can without going full exo. I personally do not care for the full exo look, especially on a truck the size of an 80.
As you can see in the pictures I tried to protect the rub areas (the areas that get the hell beat out of them) from any further damage.
From the B pillar back the cage is internal and is welded to both the frame and the body. Once again this truck is still a daily, so putting the cage in the front was going to require one of three things 1-contorsion classes, 2-hacking the hell out of the dash and other interior parts, 3-going exo.
Going exo... If I hadn't seen how tastefully this front exo/roof rack could be done (thanks to Ryan from the TV show Trucks) I would have been hacking the hell out of my interior.
The front of the cage, where the A pillar comes down, is welded to my Metal Tech sliders, the sliders are welded to the frame. The A pillar cross bar is tied into the B pillar cross bar.
The B,C,and D pillars go through the roof and are welded to the internal cage. Then there is the rub rail that runs the length of the rain gutters down each side.
The cage is 1.75" and I used somewhere around 80'.

Brian
ACC
IMG_0633-800.jpg
IMG_0634-800.jpg
IMG_0693-800.jpg

sweet, the exo portion is clean enough to simply resemble a roof rack!

two thumbs up for a clean looking cage.

The seal around the holes in the roof is just body seam sealer for now, however when Im done painting it, it will be sealed with aircraft fuel tank sealer.
There is no flex difference to speak of, the cage is welded to the frame and the body is welded the the cage.

Brian

Now it just needs a new radiator before GSMTR.

I know of a great little (not so little anymore) shop just outside Decatur if you need someone to replace your radiator.

Smitty

Very nice work ! Would love to copy it, but like folding the 2nd row down for "sleeping".

There is no flex difference to speak of, the cage is welded to the frame and the body is welded the the cage.
Brian

Great work. Love seeing stuff like this that is out of the box!

Did you eliminate the body mounts all together?

Nicely done! You might consider using the exo-skeleton on the top and welding a roof rack right into it. It would be so strong, you could sleep up there in a regular tent.

Looks great.....

Let me know if you ever want to sell that hood :D

Or if you want some free advertisement i'll send you my spares for that paint job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom