Steering Wheel Re-Wrap Shops? - Need a contact (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to have the leather steering wheel re-wrapped to original appearance. Please no info on the over-wraps. I'm talking leather "replacement" here. Some folks have posted in other threads about shops local to them that have done this for a cost of around $100 or less, but no specifics or contact info. I can't find anyone in my area that does this at all. Everywhere I've found on the internet is around $200 and up. If you know of a shop that does this for a more reasonable price please post it, or post for me to contact you directly for the info. I am willing to ship my wheel to them to have this done. I would think that many others may be interested in this if the quality was good, and the price & turnaround was bearable. IMO $200+ is too much. I've searched, and seen prices of $85 and $100 mentioned, but no details.
Thanks

Bruneti, After reading this post, and some old ones a week ago on same topic, I made some quick calls to auto upholstery shops in Dallas. One installed place I've dealt with in the past. They don't do it but new who to semd me to. The recommending shop mainly does work with dealerships so they would only recommend someone that does super high quality work. The shop they told me about is called American Stitches, and this is their business, recovering steering wheels. They are in the Dallas area, have a neat web site, their work has been on TV shows according to their web site. I talked to a really nice girl named Jill, and she said they charge $259 for complete recovering of the steering wheel. Now they strip off the old leather and pad, down to the base, then it get's new pad, and new leather, perfectly stitched to look new. She said if some people wanted to do a group buy deal on this, then they would need at least 5 people, and the price would be $201. ea. It takes 7 day's for the work. American Stitches, 3149 North I30, Ste. H, Mesquite, TX 75150 and their ph. is (972)-613-2914 and web site is http://www.american-stitches.com/
Knowing who recommended them, I am sure it would be a top notch job!

Happy Trails,

hoser,
Thanks for the link. I had done a search and read up on everything a couple weeks ago. I then contacted a couple places and got their pricing. Your thread was new since then.

Bryan E,
I had called american stitches and received pricing. I'm quite sure the work is top notch, but as I stated in my original post $200+ seems excessive to me for a little piece of leather stitched on. Sometimes you have to pay to play, but in this case I have seen posts of others that had it done for much le$$ that looked original.

Bruneti, I've got no affiliation with the am/stitches, just did some searching and that's what the guy recommeneded. I also called another auto upholstery shop, and he said $150, but I don't know any thing about him or his work. If it were me, and I had a leather wrapped steering wheel, I would just cut off my original, re-wrap it with some simular padding, and cut out a new piece of garmet leather in same size as pattern, and stitch it on. The shortcut is to just buy the leather allready cut from the other posts about group buy on steering wheel leather then stitch that on yourself. Doing this from scratch wouldn't be that hard, and should be very cheap. Next time I won't bother using my time searching the phone book, making many calls, just to help.

Bryan E,
Sorry if the tone of my text came across wrong. I do appreciate you taking the time to make some calls. I didn't want to make my first post any more lengthy than it already was, so I didn't mention that I had already contacted American Stitches. Their work appears to be excellent, but they were also the most expensive. In the threads that came up when I searched, there were at least 2 or 3 people who had local shops do this complete for between $85 and $100. I was interested in contacting one of these shops, or finding something close to this pricepoint. I had also contacted the shop from hoser's link not even two weeks ago, but they quoted a price just slightly less than American Stitches. Apparently they now have a DIY kit for our vehicle that is much more reasonable-if you're willing to do the stitching youself. The shops that did it complete for <$100 would really be a good deal with no risk of me screwing it up trying to sew. I just don't know who these shops are.

Like you suggested, I had also pondered removing the original leather and cutting new pieces to shape & sewing it on. After all the searching I was fairly sure that they also have to be "molded" to shape to fit correctly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. If flat pieces cut to the proper shape would work, then that could possibly be developed or duplicated rather cheaply. Still some risk in me screwing up the pattern or the sewing. I guess if a local upholstery shop could do it, then this is probably how it was done. Molding it would probably make it easier, but may not be "necessary".

Anyway, I meant nothing by my "short" tone in my earlier reply to your post. :whoops:
I was just responding in a hurry, and I do appreciate all your effort in trying to help me out. :cheers:

Factory leather rewrap

This may be a dead thread, but I found a way to do this for $125 with OEM leather. You cut off the old, take it to a leather/upholstery guy in your town, he makes a new wrap using the old as template, runs it through his machine to prepunch the holes and you lace it back on yourself. :cheers:

Oilleeker; how did yours turn out? Got any photos?

Oilleeker; how did yours turn out? Got any photos?
Hi Kernal, sorry for the late reply. Forgot to subscribe to my own thread.:) I get the new wrap back sometime next week. I will post up a pic when done. If yours is oak my old leather is at the the guys' shop so he has the template. I am pretty confident this is gonna look great based on the quality of the guys' work. Stay tuned. I know $125 is probably a silly expense but when I priced out used they were more for the whole replacement wheel and who knows what you get when it shows up.

Perhaps you could ask the guy how much a batch of like 10 would cost.... since you already have the template.

Perhaps you could ask the guy how much a batch of like 10 would cost.... since you already have the template.

Agree that if he keeps the template, and it turns out well, the leather guy (or you) could make some "easy" money selling a few.

I will ask him. I can tell you the OEM half hide (Oak with Imperial finish) was $150. It was enough for six wraps. The 18X24 inch I ordered was $75, so pretty easy to see a substantial volume discount. I am glad to help out with this, but let's see how this first one turns out. Can probably get the labor down also as he makes more of these. His work looked great; lots of custom hot rods and antiques in his shop. Should have a pic up late next week.

Agree that if he keeps the template, and it turns out well, the leather guy (or you) could make some "easy" money selling a few.
Yeah, when I saw he had the OEM samples (Oak with Imperial finish) I had to jump on it. Sure, I'd love to get my rewrap paid for.:) Glad to pay it forward as this forum is way useful.

OK, if you get a wild hair to replace the funky nasty 13 year old leather on your steering wheel. My suggestion is buy a used wheel and put that on, but after 13 years a used wheel is likely to be as nasty as the the one I have. It can be done though and I gotta say it looks sweet. pics coming soon. Just one more section to finish tonight. NOTE: Beware of crazy glue when gluing down finish work around the top of the "spokes". I got a very small amount on the leather and I thought that rubbing alcohol would take it right off. WRONG! I rubbed until I got the glue off but it also took a minute layer of leather with it so now I have a light spot. Arrggh. I found a local leather guy that will sand and redye that spot. Yeah, I know beyond OCD at this point but after spending the hours on this that I have, I want a great job. Total cost $125 and way too much time stitching. If I were to do it again I would do what's called a "baseball stitch" rather than the the single stiches I did..

EDIT: Here is a pic of the completed steering wheel rewrap project. Wow, the leather pro told me this would take him three hours to do. It took me six hours. I am pleased with the two-tone look though, but not sure how the lighter color will hold up. Works great wheeling with it as the wheel slides through my hands better with the leather on it rather than the cheesy wheel cover.
steering wheel.jpg

Hey everyone,
Not sure if this is a really old thread, but I was hoping to have my Steering Re-Wrapped here in Atlanta or the outer reaches. Anyone know of some good contacts here who could do an outstanding job. I just purchased my 80 about a week ago, and it has had the front seats re-wrapped in fresh leather, looks amazing, the same individual said he could do the steering, but if you all have some better suggestions let me know.

Picture of the wheel here - Want to add some refreshening.

- Rockfox

Rockfox - Steering Wheel (LX450).jpg

Just got mine done by these guys for $300.

http://www.craftcustoms.com/

I’ll post pictures in a minute. Haven’t had a chance to reinstall.

Like I said, it looks good and feels nice, but I just got it and haven’t gotten it back on yet.

FYI- they said hand sanitizer will ruin the leather faster than anything.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom