Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdlexus.com
All -

After owning my 80 for over 2 years, experiencing higher than normal pressure when removing the gas cap the entire time, I tried many solutions. However, I've been reluctant to replace the charcoal canister due to the cost -- approx $300 (plus or minus), and it's a dealer-only item.

Many of us have posted/read info on this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/292965-excessive-fuel-tank-pressure.html

I tried a junk yard canister from a 1997 80 with absolutely no affect. I tested hoses, attempted to test pressures, made sure the VSV worked correctly, etc. As best I could tell the system was at least functioning.

After much research, I found this alternative canister for $36 !!!
If the link gets stale, it's Autozone part VC120 for early 1990s GM cars with the 3.1L V6 (pontiac, oldsmobile). The dimensions were close enough to ours, so I pulled the trigger on a hunch. And it works beautifully! I wanted to run thru several fill-ups before I posted, and I can say that after 6 fill-ups, my 80 finally operates like a normal car (as the gas pump anyway). No sound, no air escaping, etc.

It has the same style connectors and pulls in fresh air from the bottom just like the 80s. Using the highly calibrated "blow with your mouth" technique, I confirmed that this canister is almost identical to the stock 80s as described in the FSM. Minor details on mounting:

• There is no hose connection on the bottom like the 80s, so you can remove the hose completely. This replacement canister has it's own filter and cover on the bottom. In stock 80s, the hose simply routes down to the frame area. I assume to pull in fresher, cooler air.
  • The diameter is just a bit larger than the stock 80s, but you can see in the pic below that it fits in the stock bracket, in the stock location, using the stock hoses. You'll notice that I used a ziptie in place of the bolt on the bracket - a longer bolt would be better, but I didn't have one around. And it's a tight fit, so I don't think it's going anywhere
  • The "tank" port on the canister uses a larger diameter hose barb, but a little persuasion works.
Info/links:
How to test your canister from 1997 FSM
-I suspect that the purge check valve in my canister was sticking. You should have suction into the engine on the purge hose as described in the link above. This suction should be able to keep up with vapors generated in the tank as long as the canister flows freely.

lc_cnstr.jpg

I haven't tested this after driving up to high elevations yet, but based on my experience so far, I think it's going to do great. Hope this helps out the community as much as it's helped me.

After owning my 80 for over 2 years, experiencing higher than normal pressure when removing the gas cap the entire time, I tried many solutions. However, I've been reluctant to replace the charcoal canister due to the cost -- approx $300 (plus or minus), and it's a dealer-only item.

At that price, I'm going to try it.

$#!T - I just plunked down for a new OEM one from CDan about 3 weeks ago...

Great find !!

$#!T - I just plunked down for a new OEM one from CDan about 3 weeks ago...

I just installed my new OEM on Friday. :hillbilly:

If this is a once a decade service, I'm cool with the high OEM cost. Keep us posted on how this one works for you, awesome at that price.

suscribed

Thanks for doing the leg work on this, as mine has been known to have an intermittent problem as well. Hopefully nobody on here will take the wind out of your sails by writing a 2 page dissertation on why they think it wont work. :D

I replaced mine with an OEM last year...no change.

Thanks for doing the leg work on this, as mine has been known to have an intermittent problem as well. Hopefully nobody on here will take the wind out of your sails by writing a 2 page dissertation on why they think it wont work. :D

X2. OEM is king, but inexpensive aftermarket for not critical systems is prince!

Other than the zip-tie mount, it also looks like it should pass most smog-inspections on the visual.

:cheers: for finding a good low-cost alternative.

Steve

"I haven't tested this after driving up to high elevations yet, but based on my experience so far, I think it's going to do great. Hope this helps out the community as much as it's helped me."[/QUOTE]

My only issues have been high elevations. Let us know your results after a high elevation wheeling trip. That would be of great help. Thanks for posting.

I tried to get one from Auto Zone just now and they said its not available, wonder whats up with that? Is there any other # you have for the CC?

Interesting.. I just ordered mine a month or so ago. Did you place the order via the website or at the store? I ordered from the website.

Looks like rockauto has them for a few dollars more:
1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT Vapor Canister

Application seems to be:
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix with 3.8 V6

Keep us posted on your results!

Interesting.. I just ordered mine a month or so ago. Did you place the order via the website or at the store? I ordered from the website.

Looks like rockauto has them for a few dollars more:
1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT Vapor Canister

Application seems to be:
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix with 3.8 V6

Keep us posted on your results!

I called the store, I also just tried to order online and it is not available, I clicked on the link above from rock auto and it list 3 part #'s which one is it? the VC 120 right?

Thanks
Seth

I called the store, I also just tried to order online and it is not available, I clicked on the link above from rock auto and it list 3 part #'s which one is it? the VC 120 right?

It looks like all 3 are the same - just different brands. Mine says "Rochester Products" on it. I would expect any vapor canister for this GM car application to work the same.

great find

Im at 6000ft with trips higher all the time. Keep us posted on your trip to high places! It would be nice to stop the gas smell in the garage after hot day trips.

I just ordered this. I hope its working for all of you. Thanks for finding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom