Need a new engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 80 has been running great since I bought it 2 years ago.

It just recently developed a clicking and the local shop that does a lot of Toyota and LC repairs did some investigating and says my #3 cylinder is bad and I need a rebuild of the engine.

I'm looking at about $5000 plus parts for a rebuild or for a new short block, they said somewhere around $7100!

I want to check the forums and see if you guys have some suggestions for me. I'm pretty handy with a vehicle, but this is a little beyond what I have the experience with.

Except for this, the rig is in great shape inside and out, so I'd hate to scrap it due to this, but I'm really having a hard time with those numbers...

Thanks in advance,

Winston

It just recently developed a clicking and the local shop that does a lot of Toyota and LC repairs did some investigating and says my #3 cylinder is bad and I need a rebuild of the engine.

I'm looking at about $5000 plus parts for a rebuild or for a new short block, they said somewhere around $7100!

I want to check the forums and see if you guys have some suggestions for me. I'm pretty handy with a vehicle, but this is a little beyond what I have the experience with.

Except for this, the rig is in great shape inside and out, so I'd hate to scrap it due to this, but I'm really having a hard time with those numbers...

Thanks in advance,

Winston

Clicking? Get a 2nd opinion on the source of that. Unless the cylinder is cracked - which would show up as burning oil or coolant... or if the rings are bad - which would show up in the exhaust (re-ring option) - or the injector is bad ($200 part and $400 labor) - I don't see off hand how they could diagnose a running vehicle as having a 'bad cylinder' requiring engine replacement without actually taking the head off and measuring/inspecting the thing directly.

I suspect someone at that shop needs to make a boat payment?

Clicking? Get a 2nd opinion on the source of that. Unless the cylinder is cracked - which would show up as burning oil or coolant... or if the rings are bad - which would show up in the exhaust (re-ring option) - or the injector is bad ($200 part and $400 labor) - I don't see off hand how they could diagnose a running vehicle as having a 'bad cylinder' requiring engine replacement without actually taking the head off and measuring/inspecting the thing directly.

I suspect someone at that shop needs to make a boat payment?

Oh - I just noticed you're within 30 miles of Slee's place in Golden. He and his guys probably know more about these trucks than the original designers did. It would be worth it to pay them to diagnose the issue & be that 2nd opinion.

If they were the first opinion, then they're probably right.

Thanks in advance,

Winston

Isn't CO the current location of PowederPig aka Robbie ?

If I needed a 2nd/3rd opinion, which is what I would do based on what you've described, I'd be on the horn to Robbie even if it cost me a little $$$ for his time !

Rgds...

So, I would have Robbie (powderpig) look at it and it will likeley be less than half of that if what they say is true with hime doing the work.

It also might be simple.

I should have mentioned this, but it's Comprehensive Car Care on Evans and they have treated me right for years. The worked on my 60 and always did great work before I got the 80.

That said, they did remove the valve cover first and check for lifter issues, then when they couldn't find that, they called and wanted to ask if they could move forward with a more thorough inspection by taking the cylinder head off. So they did their due dilligence. I just don't know what my options are if it is as bad as they say.

Let me know if you guys still think I should talk to Robbie and I'll do that.

Thanks a bunch for the replies.
Winston

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll hit up Robbie and see what he has to say.

Yes, I would definitely still talk with Robbie.

He is probably the best 1FZ-FE mechanic in the US.

X2 on Robbie. They may have treated you right, but Robbie knoes and understands these vehicles. His rate is less then their shop rate.

He is held in such High regard that people schedule multiple vehicles to be worked on and then pay him to travel cross country rather than using their local shop. Just serach for threads and you will see multiple instances.

Before I spent $5000, I would get him to look at it for peace of mind if nothing else

To echo others comments, absolutley have Robbie or Slee or someone else knowledgeable about 80's take a look at it before you drop any money. Well worth the little extra time and money to have it diagnosed properly. Then you can get whatever needs fixed, fixed right, and the first time.

Okay I spoke to Robbie and he definitely knows his stuff, so now I need to figure out what route to take on this, then find the money, then make it happen.

I appreciate all of the advice. I'll post up which way I go.

Thanks!
Winston

So... what did Robbie say? Do you need a new engine?

Thanks in advance,

Winston

a new engine? shops will most of the time try and take advantage of you...i work for a gm dealership ask me how i know, there there to make money....get a 2nd and 3rd opinion....how is it running? burning smoke? need specifics...

Well the mechanic has the head off and says cylinder #3 has scoring. Robbie said if that is the case, then it's done.

I'm checking my options now on local engines first, then I may start looking outside my area.

I would find out from an engine machinist if a .5mm over or a 1.0mm over boring would take care of the scoring in the cylinder.

If so, you can get new pistons and rings of that size for the 1FZ from Toyota.

I would find out from an engine machinist if a .5mm over or a 1.0mm over boring would take care of the scoring in the cylinder.

If so, you can get new pistons and rings of that size for the 1FZ from Toyota.

Outta curiosity, what's the smart shopper price?

Buck

To clarify, that's $73.56 per piston.

Unless you can talk Beno into buying 5 for you.................:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom