Interesting 1FZ-FE/ 80series article (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good aussie 80 series article on the then new "1FZFE" 80 series. Says the cast iron block is designed to take 2 steps of overbore when being rebuilt, for an engine service life of 900,000 kms or approx. 560,000 miles!!!
FZ .jpg
FZ2.jpg

Less than 14% of land cruisers are Petrol Engines. Where the heck are all of the Diesels then. Buch of Crap if you ask me.

Note I just imported a rig and the new importation forms for customs state that the rig only has to be 20 years old instead of 25 in order to meet safety standards. Might have been a mistake but I haven't followed up. One more year to go and some 80 series with diesels might be making there way into the states.

Where i can download this article?

Was taken from a book titled" Toyota Land Cruiser 1988-1997" By Brookland books
out of the UK. Bought it here in the states years ago. Good compilations of tech articles and reviews from off road mags all over the world. Great book if it's still available

what form is this you speak of? can you post a link or copy?

Less than 14% of land cruisers are Petrol Engines. Where the heck are all of the Diesels then. Buch of Crap if you ask me.

Note I just imported a rig and the new importation forms for customs state that the rig only has to be 20 years old instead of 25 in order to meet safety standards. Might have been a mistake but I haven't followed up. One more year to go and some 80 series with diesels might be making there way into the states.

The most important aspect of this article is the derivation of the 1FZ from Toyota's commercial division--giving more proof that this engine and the 1HZ were first delivered in forklifts in the mid-late 1980's then converted for passenger vehicle application in Coaster medium duty buses and Land Cruisers (evidenced recently at the TAB Yoshiwara Plant--one side of the factory produced Land Cruisers the other side produced buses. This also gives credence for the usage of the A442F in buses of the era as well.) This also points to the heavy duty life frame usage of this vehicle: long periods of idle/high torque/low speeds. This is the way my vehicle is used...long periods of low speed/high torque situations--sometimes 10-12 hours at a time, and mine has never missed a beat.

My bet and hunch is that the supposed HG problem with 1FZ's occurred in the conversion of this powerplant from industrial usage to commercial passenger vehicle usage and the modifications needed for modern emission protocols (further indicting the EGR system).

Both 1FZ and the 1HZ were originally constructed by Toyota Industries Corporation, a subsidiary of the Toyota Group. If you go to the Toyota Industries homepage and go to the Japanese side of the site and you click around on different links/translate the pages, you get some very good information. The 1FZ and the 1HD engines are still being put into marine/powerplant/industrial applications. European forklifts still have 1FZ-F engines being put into them for the 8000-10000 lb. applications. Toyota Industries also builds the 1HZ as well as the 1VD 4.5 V8 twin turbo diesel as well.

Here are two very important pages from Toyota Industries.

http://www.toyota-industries.com/product/auto/engine/materialengine.html

http://www.toyota-industries.com/product/auto/engine/rv.html

See how many 80 series applications you can see in this picture--really awesome knowing where our stuff comes from. I can see the front control arms, manual hub housing for the Aisin hubs, sector shaft, birf housing, knuckle housing that is welded into the axle housing, etc. Lots of cool stuff here:

http://www.aichi-steel.co.jp/ENGLISH/pro_info/pro_intro/forg_index.html

When you start digging it's really amazing how intricate the supplier network is between mother Toyota and companies like Aisin/Denso/Toyota Industries/Aichi Steel Corporation/JTEKT/Koyo/Toyota Radiator/Toyota Gosei/Toyota Boshuku etc.

This supplier network is much deeper than what the American manufacturers constructed for their supplier network. Interestingly enough companies like Denso now make more parts for American and European companies than they do for their own "home" company Toyota. Look at any Honda or Nissan and each of them incorporate tons of Denso parts.

Last edited:
:D Engineers were cagey about the fuel savings :D.

Interesting article.

Ah so premium will result in more power :flipoff2:

I am struggling with the valve adjustment statement.
Has anyone ever adjusted valves at 60k miles/ 100K km's?
That really seems out of place and way to frequent??

Also, what is the normal rebore mileage on mud?
I don't think I have seen anyone rebuild the engine in these yet.
Maybe, the US 95-97 models are just now approaching that age of the vehicle...

There have been many bottom end rebuilds of the 1FZ...some because they needed to or some because they wanted to since "they were in there." Some wanted more performance by going 1.0mm over.

I will be rebuilding at 300K miles (not kms) unless there is a catastrophic failure during that time. I am at 219K miles.

Leads me to believe the engine life is much greater than 560k miles. Maybe closer to 750k with normal service?

I picked up an '93 FZJ80 engine with what the seller said was 222K miles on it and a bad HG. The plan is to rebuild that engine and install it into my '93 LC which now has 351K but an 'almost' bad HG.

It became one of those 'while I'm in there' moments. It's also much easier to work on the engine when it's on the 'bench'. I'm reboring to the max oversize and installing new pistons, complete head job, bearings all around plus many other 'goodies' and of course all PM items.

I'm hoping when I'm done, and probably +- $5K later, I'll have an engine for another 351K miles !

Rgds...

560k out of essentially 3 service lives means under 200k miles per build/rebuild.

Since we know that's not true, Toyota obviously understated the service lifespan of the engine by... a lot.

I didn't realize the LC behaved differently depending on the type and quality of gas. Interesting article. Further, testament how long LCs will be around.

I had a 1fz in my 10k lbs Forklift....ran on propane and I drove it from 0 to 3250 hours. Never skipped a beat and had way more power than the (I think) 2F 8000lb we had in the yard.

We had a old 2H forklift in the back that no one ever used as well.

Good reading!:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom