PHH & metal tube replaced using re-routed silicone hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to doing the PHH... 180K miles on the clock.
Bought the kit from index but decided to replace the metal bypass tube as well with a full length silicone hose. Followed some others' advice and wrapped it around the brake booster.
This turned out to be an easy job.
Here are my tips:

1. Drain all coolant from the radiator.
2. Loosen & remover upper portion of hose at the heater control valve.
3. Remove upper coolant metal tube bolt on intake.
4. My lower bolt was already out (very odd), not sure why this was the case? Most people end up wiggling the metal hose to break this lower mount.
5. Jack up front drivers side corner of cruiser and support with stands, etc.
6. Remove front drivers side tire.
7. Remove inner fender flappy splash gaurds.
8. Use sharp razorblade, knife, etc to cut though the PHH. You can now remove the metal tube.
8. Use long needle-nose pliers to pull off remaining PHH piece on the engine block. I got a 12-inch 45 degree needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight for like $5 and they were well worth it!!
9. Now you're ready to install the new hose. I used ~3.5ft (4ft max) of 700F degree silicone hose from Napa. It's like $12 per foot. It's actually silicone inner compound and rubber outer compound. Apparently it's often used on turbo applications? Anyway, it was a breeze to install.

So, this project can fairly easily be done without pulling the starter or the tranny dipstick tube.
Anyway, I used the constant-torque hose clamps from the PHH kit I had previously purchased. I also went ahead and replaced the two small hose pieces near the heater control valve. I used standard goodyear heater hose for them.

Here are a few ****py cell phone pics:

PHH-2.jpg

PHH-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good job!

Pretty awesome !! They didn't have black for a factory look ? =)

P.S. So you didn't use the kit from 1fzfephh ?

good info. What's the sizing on the silicone hose from NAPA? (ID/OD)
And where's a good place to buy the constant torque clamps from? I'd like to buy other sizes as well.
thanks!

Didn't think about going that far away from the motor with the hose for a nice smooth bend... I was trying to figure out how to do it with some 90 degree elbows to minimize the use (cost) of samco sport hose... good job and probably a straight shot on the lower nipple. I was going to offer this as another non-factory option in Samco ($$$) or Gates ($$)... if there was enough interest, I would...

It isn't rubbing your steering shaft is it? Can you shoot a pic of where the hose goes?

If you want to send the piece of hose back I will refund a portion of your purchase! Don't let it collect dust!

Very nice
I just did my PHH last weekend and I swear if that little BAST@RD leaks as much as a drop I'm getting rid of that stupid metal down tube and going with this.

thestunts - I really wanted a black hose so it didn’t look like a garden hose under the hood, but one was not available… :(
I just used the constant-torque clamps from 1fzfephh…

Fullscale – I just asked for 5/8” heater hose in the hi-temp quality… I’ll try to get accurate measurements for you and post later. Napa can order the constant-torque clamps in many sizes.

Houston FZJ80 – It does bump up the cost a little but it is so easy to install and is a direct shot to the lower nipple. I’ll get some pics from underneath and post later tonight. I know it’s not on the steering shaft though. I really appreciate your offer to send back the section of hose – I would surely do that. Just let me know how you’d prefer I do it – thanks!

Thanks to everyone else! I’ll get more pics later today…

Nice write up!!! So how long did this take? I bought the same kit as you (2 years ago)but have been procrastinating because it just looked too pesky :). Thanks for the info.

Anton

Thanks Anton! :)
Total time including all prep and cleanup was around 2 hours... and I wasn't rushing it. It could be done much faster.

Here are some different angle shots:

PHH-upperside.jpg

PHH-underside.jpg

Here is the silicone hose profile / dimensions:

(5/8" ID and 7/8" OD)

PHH-siliconehosedimensions.jpg

thanks for the sizing.
If the color bothers anyone, I suppose some black (or any other color) split-loom tubing to cover the most visible portion should do the trick.

I am totally doing this instead of replacing the small hose on the metal pipe. I already got the short SAMCO hose and two constant tension clamps so now I'll just have to get that 3.5ft or so and get it over with .. thanks for the pics etc!

thestunts - I really wanted a black hose so it didn’t look like a garden hose under the hood, but one was not available… :(
I just used the constant-torque clamps from 1fzfephh…

Try getting some electrical wiring loom cover, the ridged plastic tubing with a slit down one side, slide this over the tubing. It will also help to protect the tube :)

Thanks, I need to do this before it bites me. Looks like a good way to do it.

now i know why you guys call it phh you got the brake master cyl on the wrong side of the car in a country that have the steering wheel on the correct side(RHD)you wouldnt have that stuff in the way lol

Didn't think about going that far away from the motor with the hose for a nice smooth bend... I was trying to figure out how to do it with some 90 degree elbows to minimize the use (cost) of samco sport hose... good job and probably a straight shot on the lower nipple. I was going to offer this as another non-factory option in Samco ($$$) or Gates ($$)... if there was enough interest, I would...

It isn't rubbing your steering shaft is it? Can you shoot a pic of where the hose goes?

If you want to send the piece of hose back I will refund a portion of your purchase! Don't let it collect dust!

I'd definitley be interested in this. I just bought the PHH (samco) kit from you. However, I kind of want to do this now.
I think this is a great alternative to the short piece of hose.
PM sent

Samco in BRGreen would definately be a nice touch to my "emerald green" 94 .. or whatever that standard toyota green color is. ....

The phh ectomy is a great alternative to the regular phh. If mine ever goes, it'll take five minutes to replace and I won't have to cuss like a sailor and throw tools :D.

I went ahead and sleeved a larger gates over the phh ectomy hose just in case of chaffing.

btw, mine has been like this for 74k with a gates green stripe and no issues whatsoever.

Buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom