ARB locker leak issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my ARB locker has been leaking for some time now. It leaks through the air hose meaning the oil travels through the hose and spits out through the solenoid when the locker is disengaged. The locker functions flawlessly and my compressor "does not" cycle frequently. So that (to me) means it is not an "O ring" issue rather might be due to a bad "air collar/seal housing"? So, has any one has similar issue and did replacing the air collar/seal housing fix it? I read about adding additional breather but it does not make sense to me. How adding additional breather would fix a bad air collar/seal housing, if indeed that part is bad.

Here's a link and picture of that part

P71824 Image Large Photo

p71824_image_large.jpg

Thoughts? :cheers:

I don't yet have any ARB experience, but have you checked to make sure the axle vent is open and working. It almost sounds like it(the axle & diff) is warming up and expanding and forcing oil up the easiest path(the ARB air line)instead of venting the pressure out the axle vent which is above the oil level. Just a thought.

Yes I have checked the vent and it is open. I forgot to mention that.

The vent has always been open, as I said that some people have added additional vents. I can understand having additional breathing room always a plus. Per the link (I mentioned above) the air housing can be damaged if it is not installed properly. I can't remember if it was centered properly, it's been few years now. My plan is to take all apart and check it out (I gotta do that any way per my spring PM). However, wanted to see if any one else has fixed the problem by perhaps replacing the air housing plus (may be) an additional vent :meh:.

that happen to me when my axle get hot and it's full ( beyond the factory level ) of oil .. when the oil gets hot it expand and if your breather isin't perfect .. there you go oil in your ARB ..

OK, this is a common problem with the ARB locker, often it is caused by the 'O' ring not being seated correctly on the carrier. There is a manufacturing seam on some of the 'O' rings and this acts like a screw thread slowly pushing oil up the air pipe to the solenoid. However, in theory this cannot happen if the solenoid is sealed, it seems there were some new solenoids available to stop this. It used to happen on my Discovery, I swapped the solenoids front to rear and the problem moved, personaly I would fit a new solenoid after disconnecting the line at the axle and blowing the oil out.

ARB also now sell a better designed 'O' ring which also helps to stop this problem along with a reduction in air leaks.

regards

Dave

I had an ARB Purge Valve fitted. http://www.arb.com.au/resources/pdf/airLockers/4-04.pdf

They ran the outlet through a T piece into the diff breather tube, The oil goes back into the diff rather than blowing out the solenoid. Easaier than pulling the diff centre out just to change on o ring

Haven't you read the ARB threads around here? All ARB issues are the result of installation problems.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

I hope you get your fix.

I had an ARB Purge Valve fitted. http://www.arb.com.au/resources/pdf/airLockers/4-04.pdf

They ran the outlet through a T piece into the diff breather tube, The oil goes back into the diff rather than blowing out the solenoid. Easaier than pulling the diff centre out just to change on o ring

Nawice!!! Where do I get one of these?

On a second thought I actually thought about attaching an additional blue line that would connect via A T piece to the breather hose. So when the I turn the solenoid, the oil would go down back into the diff as you mentioned. I might try that out but I like the Purge Valve, pretty slick.

Last edited:
Yeh great just point the oil mist exhaust pipe up into a chassis rail (does not go in axle breather) and then that gets clogged with crap and if not you get a nice oil stain elsewhere instead of fixing the problem with the new type solenoid 'O' rings.

Of course it's your rig

regards

Dave

The oil in the Chasis problem is why the mechanic routed it back to the diff. The instructions say not to connect directly to the breather as this will pressurize the diff that is why the t piece is fitted. The oil goes back to the diff and the pressure is released through the breather. Mine has been fitted for 5 years now without any problems.

The oil in the Chasis problem is why the mechanic routed it back to the diff. The instructions say not to connect directly to the breather as this will pressurize the diff that is why the t piece is fitted. The oil goes back to the diff and the pressure is released through the breather. Mine has been fitted for 5 years now without any problems.

I have seen this before and does not work if you use your car in the wet mud ect as the breather gets clogged, if it works for you then all is good.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom