Toyota OEM PS Pump PIS and GPM Ratings & Hydraulic Winch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rbfilms.com
Toyota OEM PS Pump PSI and GPM Ratings & Hydraulic Winch

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I saw a thread on Hydro Winches and the rating of PS Pumps. I thought those considering a MM Hydraulic Winch might want this info.

I called Toyota North America today. Lucked out and got a guy who owns an 80 Series and is building it I told him about IH8MUD and may have sold him on an IBS Dual Battery or Perfect Switch Dual Battery system over a National Luna and a MM Hydro Winch over an Warn Electric...:)

He stated the manual states 1,351 PSI at Idle with the Valve closed. This is the Minimum Specification. He claims Toyota is conservative with their ratings. This spec indicates that the PS Pump will operate reliably all the way down to this pressure.

Toyota does not seem to publish a maximum rating but based on the way Toyota rates things, he was confident it would put out more than the minimum rating.

In discussing this with both Toyota & Mile Marker, everything seems to indicate 1,500psi / 4gpm is most likely what the pump is putting out ... or at the very least the rating closer to the desired spec verses the lower Minimum Spec.

The Minimum Spec is where you start having trouble and the pump and it would be declared “defective” ... Hope this info helps.[/FONT]

Last edited:
the 80 series PS pumps are good .. at least better than 40 and 60 series, but I won't put that strees over mine ( personal opinion ) 'm not that confident about he gpm rate that will offer the 80 series pump .. it probably will do the pressure .. but as I said it's big stress when using the winch .. and sure I will add a huge PS oil cooler ..

Many people have been running these for years without issues. I am not sure there is any additional stress. If you ever installed one, you would see there is only 2 or 3 feet of additional hose. I do not see how that will stress anything for starters. In addition, I am not sure there is much stress added to the pump in use. It is designed t put out pressure all day long for the PS System. Considering how often you use a Winch, and the fact it was designed to run with a stock factory PS Pump, I am not sure the "stress" factor is a real concern.

By the way, is this cooler big enough? :) This is the cooler for the 96 Lexus with Dual Hydro Winches I have.

Expedition Portal Forum - View Single Post - expedition film trucks

the 80 series PS pumps are good .. at least better than 40 and 60 series, but I won't put that strees over mine ( personal opinion ) 'm not that confident about he gpm rate that will offer the 80 series pump .. it probably will do the pressure .. but as I said it's big stress when using the winch .. and sure I will add a huge PS oil cooler ..

MM had a setup for this.

The way it is setup the PS System only sees an additional 2 feet of line so Steering is not affected at all. The truck rides great ... cannot feel any difference in the steering whatsoever.

The way the MM setup works is like this.

The Solenoid Control Valve for the rear 12K Hydro Winch is Remote (I got the 12K H Model instead of 12K HI Model). The remote valve mounts up front in the engine bay near the front 12K Hydro winch & valve.

MM said to mount it in a position where there will be as few bends as possible in the line. They also recommended running the rear line the same manner.

You then go from the Solenoid Control Valve to the rear winch which required approximately a 20 foot run of hose x 2. We used 4,000psi hose for all connections and purchased both straight & right angle fittings & adapters from MM to keep any bends in the hose to a minimum.

Once that is all done, you load the system with fluid and bleed it just like you normally would do. The system does take on more hydraulic fluid than normal. Not sure how much more but I would guess at least a quart.

We then wired a dual in-cab winch controller, a front & rear plug-in controller on each bumper, and two (2) wireless controllers one for the front and one for the back. It is pretty fail safe since we have three different (3) ways to control each winch with this steup.

In normal operation, the Rear Solenoid Control Valve is bypassed. When you call upon the rear winch to operate the valve opens and drives the rear winch. The lines are already charged so operation is instantaneous.

We also put a ass cooler in to finish it all off.

Expedition Portal Forum - View Single Post - expedition film trucks

So you have a second winch mounted in the back on this truck. That's a lot hose. I'd imagine the two winches are in series before the gear box. Any noticeable effect on the steering effort?
P3050074_800x600.jpg
P3050056_800x600.jpg
P3050058_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Another few pics.

The big ass PS Cooler shown in the pic below should handle the job ... :)

I will have more pics to post tomorrow if anyone cares to see the finished project.
P3050063_800x600.jpg
P1120166_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
We do...there is an "Arming" button and then another switch for Front - Off - Rear. You must "Arm" the winch and then also turn on and select the Front or Rear to have the system work. There is no way to run them both at the same time.

that makes sense. with all those ways of controlling the winches I hope you have a circuit that locks out the winch that isn't initially selected to avoid both being selected simultaneously.

Very nice.

Fimpros .. did you ever tame a temp measure of your PS fluid .. ?

Are you able to turn your wheels when you are operating your hydro winch .?

We do...there is an "Arming" button and then another switch for Front - Off - Rear. You must "Arm" the winch and then also turn on and select the Front or Rear to have the system work. There is no way to run them both at the same time.

why even have the arming button? Just turn the switch to off.

Are you locking out the controllers that aren't being used so they don't interfere?

To make it more foolproof .... it has to be armed and then a winch selected. Yes, we are setting it up so only one can run at a time via the selection switch.

why even have the arming button? Just turn the switch to off.

Are you locking out the controllers that aren't being used so they don't interfere?

Hi,

I have never taken a temp...but we have big coolers on both trucks for the PS Pump. I have used the winch all day a while back pulling trees on my property. I run the winch constantly for some pretty log periods with no issues whatsoever. I can't recall if I was turning the wheels much but I imagine it would not be an issue. Landtank might know more about that. He has been running Hydro winches longer than I have and he is the one that convinced me to get one. I am glad I listened..:) I love these winches. They operate so smoothly, quietly, and reliably ... that i woudl not even consider going any other route for a winch on any truck I own.

Fimpros .. did you ever tame a temp measure of your PS fluid .. ?

Are you able to turn your wheels when you are operating your hydro winch .?

More Pics

Some pics of the rear winch setup
Cruiser Pic 4.jpg
Cruiser Pic 3.jpg

Some pics of the truck....
Cruiser Pic 1.jpg
Cruiser Pic 2.jpg

And the Velociraptor cage ... :)
Velociraptor Cage 1 .jpg
Velociraptor Cage in Cruiser 2.jpg
Velociraptor Cage in Cruiser 4.jpg

Pretty sure I saw that bumper at Lukes before it shipped out. It looks great.

Cool (but overkill) rear hydraulic winch. Does a dual fuel tank still fit? Where do you plan to go in this truck?

Rich,
your builds are becoming epic. Keep up the nice work! I hope you are able to make it down this way soon.

Smitty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom