Tightened steering nut - big benefit!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been wanting to tighten up the steering box slack with the adjustor nut for years, but it is hard to access and seemed rusted in place. While the head was at the shop, I noticed the adjuster nut was wide open so I adjusted it by a 45 degree swing tighter then locked it up again with the lock nut. A couple days driving it and started noticing it tracks better and I can feel the road nicely again. Then I remembered that little tweak on the adjuster and was glad I did it. Steers nice from a dead spot on center that was noticeable on a drive to the store. Highly recommended if you're over 150,000 miles.

DougM

I've been hesitant to try this as I remember some bad press about it a while back, but I think I'm going to give it a go. My castor, alignment and all associated parts have been corrected/inspected/repaired and there is still an annoying vague feeling to the steering. Thanks for the reminder!

It is on the top of the steering gear box. You hold the centre screw in place, loosen the lock nut, adjust the centre screw (tighten it a little bit), hold it in place and snug the nut back down. Turning the screw clockwise increases the preload on the sector shaft which removes some slack from the steering gear.

I did this on my son's 91 a week ago. Because the battery box is on the passenger side it was quite easy.

What I did, which is not how the FSM instructs, is to have my son start the truck and turn the wheel from lock to lock while I applied some "tightening" pressure to the screw. What I found was that as he turned the wheel things inside of the gear box would settle in and allow me to get a good feel for when the screw was adjusted properly.

This also took the wobble out of my 96 a few months ago.

Having a '91 myself, I shall give it a shot and report back.

Never heard of this before, but I got 205,000 on mine and it does feel a bit vauge, I will try this and report back, thank you for this post, I like helpful little hints like this.

How much should we turn the screw on the average? Until it stops turning? Is it possible to get it too tight?

Last edited:
I did this on my son's 91 a week ago. Because the battery box is on the passenger side it was quite easy.

I like easy. Gonna have to give this a try.

Rick,

Good call. That seems like a great way to do it.

DougM

How much should we turn the screw on the average? Until it stops turning? Is it possible to get it too tight?

I was told to only turn it up incrementally at 1/8th of a turn, taking a test drive inbetween with lots of turnign to check for binding. If it binds then you back it off.

The screw adjusts the preload on the sector shaft in the box. Yes, it is easy to overtighten it and trash the steering box. I would definitely have both front wheels off the ground when doing this. Having the engine running with the power assist can easily mask binding as you get close to the steering stops. The FSM procedure for setting the preload is done with the drag link disconnected from the steering box. If you think your steering is vague, drive a 60 for a bit and you might change your opinion of your 80.

I'll add it to my list. When I get done I'll report too.

Careful with that axe, Eugene. 95% of the wear occurs on the steering gear set at the center, so tightening the preload should be done with care as it may be much too tight close to the locks. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just that a random tightening is not a good idea.I wrecked a steering box on my '64 ford pickup doing just that. Following along with the FSM seems mighty prudent to me.

...... Following along with the FSM seems mighty prudent to me.
Yeah, my FSM has an "On Vehicle Inspection - Steering Wheel Freeplay" page at the beginning of the steering section. It talks about a 40 mm (1.58") max freeplay measured at rim of steering wheel. Adjustment is as described in earlier posts. But, I agree with your caution. The complete procedure later on in section seems quite involved.

Last edited:
Anyone have a picture of Said Adjustment nut?

Find the steering box. On the top of the box, look for a large hex nut with a slot in the middle.

Price the steering box before you adjust it by 'feel'. It is very easy to overdo it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom