Grand Prix GTP hood vents installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, after several weeks of 100+ degree days and a few instances the wife complaining of the truck sputtering, I installed some 95 Grand Prix GTP hood vents. Here's where I got the idea on the installation procedure: Jeep Hood Louvers

Got the vents off Ebay for 65.00. Install went very well. Vents followed the hood lines perfectly and didn't need to cut out any of the hood bracing. Cut out the drip pans to use as a template. Hood cut-outs measured approx. 4" x 12". Bare steel edges were primered with Dupont Variprime using a 1/2" paint brush. Vents are held to the hood with 1/4 fuel line hose cut 1/8" longer utilizing the drip pan screws with washers.

Engine bay temps have got to be lower and truck has been running great.
I'm hoping this as well as my previous cooling mods (blue fan clutch with 15K cst fluid and 12" pusher fan) keep things running longer and cooler.:beer:
92 hood vents 003 web sized.JPG
92 hood vents 007 web sized.JPG
92 hood vents 017 web sized.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet, any other angles of the vents?, Im sorta diggin' the black vent on white :D

retrofive, Here's a few more pics:

I'm planning on doing the hood blackout in satin black and a repaint with black fender flares. Of course this would be after the bumper builds this winter.
92 hood vents 015 web sized.JPG
92 hood vents 018 web sized.JPG
92 hood vents 013 web sized.JPG

:D SWEET! Thanks for posting up some more pics. Looks great!

EDIT: If did this to my white 80 I'd leave just as the pics are :)

Nice work. Did you cut the holes with the hood on the truck?

Yes, I blocked up the hood with a 4 x 4 (piece of wood) to make sure I didn't cut into anything. Air powered body saw made it real easy to curve the corners. Once I cut one side, I took the piece of metal to the other side, flipped it over, measured many times then used it for the pattern. The hardest part was the stress of cutting your hood. Probably took only a minute or two for the actual cutting.

that

looks

:grinpimp:!!

like factory damn near. way impressed. :cheers:

I'm with Retro5- I too have white paint + lined where the bulges used to be so black vents are a natural.

Good Idea!

Summit Cruisers,

Are the vents plastic? You said you used the screws from the drip pan - so, are there threaded holes in the bottom of the vents or studs, or what? Thanks.

Do you have any before/after Scangauge (or similar) readings of coolant and air intake temps?

Very nice :cheers:

Summit Cruisers,

Are the vents plastic? You said you used the screws from the drip pan - so, are there threaded holes in the bottom of the vents or studs, or what? Thanks.

Vents are plastic but very thick and well made out of a flexible material. The actual vent louvers are close to 3/16" thick. The front had some rock chips which were easily removed with 400 grit on a palm sander. Each vent comes with (6) 1/4" studs that are internally threaded with the hold down screws from the drip pans. I found that 1/4" fuel hose actually fits very tightly over them and while cutting the hose about 1/8" longer and using the screws with added washers, that secures them in place nicely. By using this method (instead of silicone) it takes about a minute to remove them to paint or whatever.

That's the cleanest hood vent install I've seen yet. Nice work.

NICE!!!

x 2 on any date of the temps before/after the mod. :crossing fingers:

It looks very well executed though!! :beer:

Do you have any before/after Scangauge (or similar) readings of coolant and air intake temps?

Sure don't. The coolant temps seem to be the same (gauge in the middle). I think the advantage is the lower temperatures on the outside engine components (Intake, fuel line, rubber and plastic parts, EFI relay as well as other electrical components)
When the fan clutch is engaged and my 12" pusher is on, the vents feel like a hair dryer on low speed and on med. heat. It has to help, the FJ40's came with 2 hood vents and 2 fender vents as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom