What is the Tacoma mod for the antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen discussion of the "Tacoma mod" on antenna repair and replacement threads, but a search brings up nothing that actually says what this mod is.

I am interested in replacing my broken factory up-down antenna with another OEM Toyota of some kind. If someone has already worked out the details, I'm a step ahead.

Please help.

you sure its the tacoma mod? i thought it was the tundra mod

I searched Tundra mod, no results.

I don't care if the mod uses a Camry antenna, I just want to use a modern Toyota fixed antenna.

Are you sure it wasn't the Tiberon Mod?

JK. Sorry....:p

How about antenna-stuck-to-inside-of-the-windshield mod?

:grinpimp:

Now that sounds great. Can I find more about this Mod? I replaced the mast in my '96 and the new antenna doesn't retract all the way... but it does work well with my HD Radio!

Thanks.:cheers:

How about antenna-stuck-to-inside-of-the-windshield mod?

:grinpimp:

I have seen discussion of the "Tacoma mod" on antenna repair and replacement threads, but a search brings up nothing that actually says what this mod is.....

Tacoma mod = If you plan to listen to the radio, drive your Tacoma instead of your 80.

Tacoma Whip Antenna Mod ...
... should really be called the " 4Runner Antenna Mod "

I couldn't find anyone that did this themselves, so I engineered my own so-called "Tacoma Mod" whip antenna.

Parts
4Runner Antenna Assembly: 86300-35090
Tacoma (& various others) Whip antenna, black: 86309-AA040
The silver whip antenna (83609-4020) used to come with the assembly 86300-35090, but seems to have been removed from current stock.

Update:
Current black whip antenna part #: 86309-0C020
This replaces: 86309-AA040,: 86309-42040, 86309-42060, 86309-AA040, 86309-AA041, 86309-AA042, 86309-35100, 0, 86309-42040, 86309-42041​

I also looked up the Tacoma antenna base part numbers, if interested. Not sure how they will fit on the 80 series, but might be worth it to try if going used.
95-97 Tacoma Antenna Assembly (base): 86300-04020
98-04 Tacoma Antenna Assembly (base): 86300-04050

Some have complained about slight inboard lean of 4Runner antenna assembly, so another option is the OEM 80 Series manual telescoping antenna mast: 86300-60030
Easy to break!​

Installation
I used some metal strapping to secure the antenna base to the engine compartment sheetmetal. Here is a brief description and some pics:

1) Remove the stock antenna through the access hole in the engine compartment but make sure to leave the coax antenna wire to the stereo in place. There are other threads here that address how to do this should you have trouble
2) Remove the stereo to access the stereo plug end of the stock antenna coax. Attach about 5 feet of pull wire (I think I used 14 ga copper single strand wire) or string to the antenna end of the stock coax with electrical tape. Now use the stock coax to guide (yank) the pull wire or string all the way back to the stereo compartment.
3) Attach the new Tacoma antenna coax wire to the pull wire with electrical tape (I just wrapped the stiff wire around the coax--see picture), and pull the antenna wire through the engine compartment cutout and up to the stereo compartment. Plug coax into stereo and reinstall stereo.
4) Cut and fold some steel strapping around the base of the antenna mount as in the picture. Drill strapping or use holes provided and clamp antenna base with an appropriate bolt, washer and nut. Leave the clamp loose until the antenna is mounted up through the quarter panel.
5) Place antenna mount up through top of quarter panel and install top gasket and clamping nut hardware, then screw on the whip antenna.
6) Wrap and bend strapping so that it lays against the engine compartment sheet metal. Tighten nut that clamps the strapping to the antenna base. Drill the strapping and engine compartment sheet metal to accept an appropriate sized sheetmetal screw and secure strapping.
7) Tune in favorite radio channel and crank volume.
IMGP2209-1.jpg
IMGP2441-1.jpg
IMGP2443-3.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ That is pretty freak'n good. :beer: For posting this. Less moving parts is always a plus in my book.

how does the assembly fit into the hole?

Which hole? There are three of importance: 1) there is the hole for the coax wire through the firewall; 2) is a large hole engine compartment for access to the antenna; and 3) a hole coming up through the top of the quarter panel. Once the coax is pulled up to the stereo through the firewall hole (through rubber gasket), the antenna goes in through the engine compartment access hole and up through the antenna hole. You'll have to remove the top portion of the mounting hardware and then reassemble when in place. It should be rather obvious...

i wonder if there is any reason why this wouldn't fit a rhd 80. already checked the part no. posted & they can get it ex japan. 3 week wait though.

is there any play were the fender meets the antenna base?

is there any play were the fender meets the antenna base?
Snug and secure fit. Just a little off in angle inboard. Really needs the base strapped as in the picture, otherwise a bush swipe could move it and buckle the hole where the antenna meets the quarter panel.

Should be no reason why the mod wouldn't work on a RHD as there was nothing handed about the install (antenna base is symmetric back to front.

Snug and secure fit. Just a little off in angle inboard. Really needs the base strapped as in the picture, otherwise a bush swipe could move it and buckle the hole where the antenna meets the quarter panel.
Before I learned to unscrew and remove the antenna on my mini truck when on a tight trails I broke whips, cracked plastic tubes and buckled the sheet metal. I have also lost the whip in urban areas when it has been snapped off by vandals. I kind of like the delicate retracting 80 series antenna for that reason. So far, knock on wood, I have had good luck with it compared to a "simple whip".

If you can still hear your antenna motor run for a little while when you turn the radio on/off, you can fix it for around $40. It is a fairly simple job, and well documented here. If you drive into parking garages, the functionality of raising and lowering the antenna is nice to have. Although I understand the desire to have fewer moving parts, replacing the stock antenna mast should last for many years before plastic band breaks again. You advertise "bone stock" in your sig, why not keep it that way?

If you can still hear your antenna motor run for a little while when you turn the radio on/off, you can fix it for around $40. It is a fairly simple job, and well documented here. If you drive into parking garages, the functionality of raising and lowering the antenna is nice to have. Although I understand the desire to have fewer moving parts, replacing the stock antenna mast should last for many years before plastic band breaks again. You advertise "bone stock" in your sig, why not keep it that way?

The antenna motor on the FZJ80 is controlled by manual buttons on the dash, unless this was bypassed with an aftermarket stereo installation, so in a “bone stock” rig, you shouldn’t be able to “hear your motor run…when you turn of the radio.” A bent or broken retractable mast is an easy fix, but if the white-toothed antenna cable is broken or stripped, then it is kind of big deal to take the whole power unit out, replace this, and put it back.

I can’t figure out why retracting the antenna could be that useful in a parking garages as it only sticks up above the roof rack by a couple of inches? I guess this could be of concern for a 6" lifted rig with no roof rack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom