Heat Sink power steering cooler install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My factory power steering paper clip cooler was rusted and leaking like most 80 owners and after some research for a replacement I combined ideas from a couple of MUD members. I used the heat sink tranny cooler idea from Scamper and ran hard lines like Landtank, thanks guys for the ideas!

The first pic is all the materials I gathered. The cooler is a Jegs brand 15" long 3/8" in/out on both sides and includes brass fittings for about $70. The hard line is a 3/8" brake line from NAPA about $6. The hose is the specified PS return hose for the 1997 TLC NAPA cut to fit about $23. Tube bending tool, Tube flaring, bending and cutting kit, both from harbor freight $10 each, I later picked up a double flaring kit that I used instead.

Second pic is the old cooler.

Third pic is the removal of the bracket, 10mm wrench. I was very happy they didnt break off like so many bolts in the frame!
bP1040204.JPG
bP1040205.JPG
bP1040206.JPG

I didnt use the included mounting bolts with the cooler. Instead I used some left over Toyota bolts so I could tap out new holes in the frame for a clean easy install. First pic is of the larger holes. I didnt tighten the vise at all, just to hold the cooler still.

Second pic is after I marked, drilled and tapped the mounting holes, screws and tap installed for reference. The tool for the tap didnt fit so I had to use the 7mm wrench.

Third pic is the cooler mounted with brass fittings installed.
bP1040207.JPG
bP1040208.JPG
bP1040210.JPG

Last edited:
Bending the lines wasnt too difficult but took a little while. The flaring didnt turn out as nice as I had hoped (as neat as LT's!) but it did the job. The lines go through the hole in the crossmember and over to one of the original mounting points and using some of the pieces of the crossmember mounts. I didnt take enough pics but after the mount the line to the resevoir is straight up about 8" and the line going to the steering gear is curved so the hose would be straight.

The last pic is the finished product. I used some 1/4 hose split to go around the holes for a gasket around the lines. They are pretty solid and the gasket is not needed but just to be safe. I also used teflon tape around the brass fitting threads. I used as much of the hard line and as little of the hose as possible figuring more metal is more cooling. I'm happy with it and it should do the job. I'm thinking about grinding the edge of the bottom fins about 1/8" so it wont try to catch on anything just in case but probably not necessary either.

Well hope this helps somebody else planning to replace the crappy, rusted, leaking paper clip. Oh and I used Valvoline Dex ATF, no whining, no growling, no foaming, smooth operation! :steer:
bP1040211.JPG
bP1040212.JPG
bP1040214.JPG

Last edited:
nice post! That cooler looks like something swiped from a power pole, very unique. i always thought the paper clip looked kinda silly.:cheers:

This is great! I just ordered a 15" model of the same cooler, and I have the return hose and high pressure hose from NAPA ready to go in along with a rebuilt OEM pump. Hopefully I'll get to it this week. I like the idea of tapping holes in the crossmember. I'm not going to use any metal tubing since I don't have any of the tools for it, and I want to avoid having it rust out again as the OEM setup has. Thanks for the writeup!

Nice clean install. Good job:wrench: bro. Took advantage of the day that we did not go wheelin eh! Instead you installed a power steering cooler. Have you thought about cooler similar to the tranny oil cooler? There was a thread here somewhere, I just can't find it.

good grief, that thing is HUGE! I wonder what the delta temp is from the inlet to the outlet. My only concern is that depending where you live and how cold the winters are, your PS fluid may not come up to temp as it does normally. Not sure if this would happen or even a big deal.

Nice clean install. Good job:wrench: bro. Took advantage of the day that we did not go wheelin eh! Instead you installed a power steering cooler. Have you thought about cooler similar to the tranny oil cooler? There was a thread here somewhere, I just can't find it.

Thanks for the compliments!

Actually I did this right BEFORE we were supposed to go in preperation! I wanted to leave space in front of the rad/cond for an engine oil cooler, fan, etc. so I chose this for more options.

good grief, that thing is HUGE! I wonder what the delta temp is from the inlet to the outlet. My only concern is that depending where you live and how cold the winters are, your PS fluid may not come up to temp as it does normally. Not sure if this would happen or even a big deal.

Not sure about the cold (rarely gets in single digits here), but in ~80F an hour of driving and that thing is hot! Can't keep your hand on it, though it cools fast.

I just installed my cooler which is from the same place but mine looks a little different. Yours has the two end brackets attached with screws and mine looks like it is welded and yours has brass fittings and mine has metal fittings (some type of steel). When I put mine all together and started bleeding the 2 fittings where the hoses connect are leaking slightly where the screw goes into the cooler. I tightened these but I was afraid of stripping the bolts out (not that I ever did that before :whoops:) and used the teflon tape on the threads. Did you have any leaking issue here? I gues I have to tighten the crap out of those.

I have the same one as you by the sounds of it. I used teflon tape and tightened the fittings down a lot (almost all the way in). No leaks.

I have had one of these on for a while now, works well, better than stock since it allows for more flow.

nice, clean install.

thanks for the detailed report.

That was my mistake, I did not have them tightened enough. After the tightening there are no leaks. The install went well for me but I used hose instead of metal lines for mine. I used the stock clamps in a different configuration to secure my new hoses and it seemed to work well. Thanks for the detailed write up as it made the install easy and better yet made up my mind on what method to use.

very nice!

Nice job. Took the guess work of the replacement for me... big thanks.

Mine started leaking after I replaced my AC condenser.. go figure :)

I picked you the same cooler and had it installed today. Unfortunately, I wasnt close home so I had to pay $80 to get installed. I eliminated all the hard lines all together.

do you guys have a part number for the heat sink cooler? Also do you still need to run the high pressure lines as well? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom