Stereo upgrade - Pioneer DVD player install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stereo upgrade - Pioneer DVD install with backup & "belly" cameras

I was looking for a new HU for my Tacoma and came across a great deal on a new Pioneer AVH-P4000. It has CD/DVD, full iPod controls, a USB port, Bluetooth, can accept XM and Sirius inputs, etc.
After having it for a couple weeks I loved the features and decided to order another to install in the 80 to replace the 3 yr old Alpine.

Nothing odd about the install but it is TIGHT in back when you use all the RCA jacks I needed ( I have multiple amps, sub, and "goodies" ;))
Here is a pic of the main function screen....
stereo010.jpg

Here is the iPod control panel (note the different color panel... it can be changed to match the dash/interior lights...
stereo014.jpg

Here is the video screen playing the AWESOME video that Romer made of the Rising Sun trip to Rubithon 08 ...
stereo009.jpg

and it will also play videos/movies from a video iPod/iPhone.

OK here is the "goodies" part. The HU has a jack for a back-up camera (pretty standard) I modified the lic plate light housing on my Slee bumper to accept a 120 degree view camera with "night vision" (IR LEDs :rolleyes:) . I had to remove the standard bulb and use an LED pack to make space. Here it is ...
stereo001.jpg

This is the view ....
stereo012.jpg

For extra "cool points" I use the AV input jack to run another camera that is mounted on the Trans/TC crossmember, here ....
stereo004.jpg

It looks at the back wheels/axle to give me an extra set of eyes on my solo trips, here is the view ...
stereo015.jpg

To do again I might look for different cameras but these were cheap in case they get damaged.

The best part, I'm in the whole setup less than $400 :clap: :D .... the bad part is Amazon raised the price of the unit and it will cost you a bit more than that :doh:

Even at the higher price I still recommend the HU highly.

Last edited:
Yep, you get extra cool points!!!

Mike,
Awsome set up. I have a rear camera on my slee bumper also, but love the axle view camera. Where did you get your cameras?

very nice! I wana see the rest of the goodies... amps, sub, install pix if you have them.

Should this be in the 100 forum? :flipoff2:

BTW, i love it! dvd in-dash is definitely moved up on the list!

Mike,
Awsome set up. I have a rear camera on my slee bumper also, but love the axle view camera. Where did you get your cameras?

Everything came from Amazon, this is the camera I bought. (fyi the odd blue box is the hole saw that comes with it)

very nice! I wana see the rest of the goodies... amps, sub, install pix if you have them.

This thread covers the storage unit with sub and shows the sub and rear speaker amps.

The Clarion amp for the front speakers in under the driver seat but no pics.
System power is 350 watts RMS per channel.

Front speakers are Infinity 6010cs components ...
inf1.jpg

Rear doors are Infinity 6012i 6 1/2". They required trimming the sheet metal and a 1/2 spacer to clear the window hardware....
inf2.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking for a new HU for my Tacoma and came across a great deal on a new Pioneer AVH-P4000. It has CD/DVD, full iPod controls, a USB port, Bluetooth, can accept XM and Sirius inputs, etc.
After having it for a couple weeks I loved the features and decided to order another to install in the 80 to replace the 3 yr old Alpine.

Nothing odd about the install but it is TIGHT in back when you use all the RCA jacks I needed ( I have multiple amps, sub, and "goodies" ;))
Here is a pic of the main function screen....
stereo010.jpg

Here is the iPod control panel (note the different color panel... it can be changed to match the dash/interior lights...
stereo014.jpg

Here is the video screen playing the AWESOME video that Romer made of the Rising Sun trip to Rubithon 08 ...
stereo009.jpg

and it will also play videos/movies from a video iPod/iPhone.

OK here is the "goodies" part. The HU has a jack for a back-up camera (pretty standard) I modified the lic plate light housing on my Slee bumper to accept a 120 degree view camera with "night vision" (IR LEDs :rolleyes:) . I had to remove the standard bulb and use an LED pack to make space. Here it is ...
stereo001.jpg

This is the view ....
stereo012.jpg

For extra "cool points" I use the AV input jack to run another camera that is mounted on the Trans/TC crossmember, here ....
stereo004.jpg

It looks at the back wheels/axle to give me an extra set of eyes on my solo trips, here is the view ...
stereo015.jpg

To do again I might look for different cameras but these were cheap in case they get damaged.

The best part, I'm in the whole setup less than $400 :clap: :D .... the bad part is Amazon raised the price of the unit and it will cost you a bit more than that :doh:

Like the cameras!!:bounce::bounce2:

Underneath rear view. VERY impressive mod.

Very nice install! Are you interested in selling your Alpine that you took out? Please PM me with details if interested...

you a bit more than that :doh:

Very nice. You "encouraged" me to buy one as well. The best deal I could find on the web was through Buy.com $308 + shipping = $321.

Very nice. You "encouraged" me to buy one as well. The best deal I could find on the web was through Buy.com $308 + shipping = $321.

Link?

Very cool :cool:

I like the idea of a rock cam :)

I'm still in the middle of my camera install (front bumper, rear bumper, passenger front, passenger rear, remote pan/tilt dome and wireless R/C truck cam), but here's what I have so far:

fzjcaminstall.JPG

fzjcaminstall3.JPG

fzjcaminstall4.JPG

fzjcaminstall6.JPG

fzjcaminstall8.JPG

fzjcaminstall9.JPG

fzjcaminstall12.JPG

fzjcaminstall15.JPG

fzjcaminstall16.JPG

The rotary knob lets me switch from camera to camera (6 positions) while using only one Aux. input on the HU...

Still hunting for a small 30fps DVR as the main purpose is for security/accident recording...

What cameras are you guys using? My Kenwood HU has a ton of AV inputs and I have been meaning to find some cheap cameras to play with.

Wat about the camera's that you don't want reversed I could find a single camera.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom