Adapting Hummer Spare Tire Swingout to an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85badger

TLCA #23852
Threads
Air Capital of the World! Wichita, Ks/Choctaw, Ok
Now hear me out......before flaming away!! :flipoff2:
Thinking out of the box. Has anyone used the H2 Hummer swing away and adapted it to an 80. I know why would anyone do this?? 1. to save money 2. built in tow hooks and 3. I'm not very excited about dropping 2K on a new rear bumper. Just thought I'd ask and since these have been on the market for sometime they might be showing up in salvage yards errrr junk yards (you know its a hummer ;)) So if you have, show me some pics or tell me why this is the stupidest idea ever. :D

red_h2_baronly.jpg

hummer_spare3r.jpg

HUMMER.jpg

Hummer H2 Swing Away Spare Tire Carrier Installation Instructions

Last edited:
A little cutting and welding, looks easy enough to modify to fit a 80 series rear bumper. Probly wouldnt be that easy to find one cheap though.

in order for that to work, you need to have the hinge on the outer most corner. otherise the tail gate probably wont clear either the hinge or tire. looks like it could be incorporated to the factory xmember...might be clearance robbing though.

I thought about it. New, the swing-out alone is over $1,000 from GM.( was planning on using a customer bumper and the H2 swing-out. a wrecked Hummer is likely to be salvaged and the parts inventoried rather then dumped out in a pull-your-own part lot. I would not count on stealing one for $.10 on the dollar.

an intriguing idea 12mpg,,,It just might work!? Looks like it could swing out enough to clear the tailgate from the photos. I assume (?) you may call around to the wrecking yards. Let us know what kind of pricing you come up with. That would certianly be most of the determing factor. You got me thinking about it now...I too want one but dont want to shell out the huge $$$.

Dont worry - you shouldnt get flamed on this board for coming up with a creative idea. Most of the best mods come up this way.

I have always admired the later versions of those carriers. Especially the latch, a simple "slam" latch that closes securely and opens like a door. Curious why more tire carriers don't use similar systems.

Jack

Mud Sucks! Another bright idea!!!!

:lol: Another custom mod to get me going...
Well I found one of these H2 tire carriers on CL locally.. I'm meeting with the guy this Friday to take a look, do a visual test fit and try to judge how much modification would be involved.
I'll snap some pics to get everyone's opinion seller is asking for $200, What you guys think? Worth the shot at $200 + another $100 in welding, cutting, supplies etc? :confused: Depending on how the test fit goes? :hmm:

This Nissan guy did a great job at adapting it to his Pathfinder!! http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=21837&sid=fb3cfc8a66512e07cefed03741486722

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well If anything it's worth looking at it in person, making some approximate measurements, take some pics, and give the idea a twirl on mud!:meh:

I'd like to see it work. It doesn't have HUMMER stamped all over, so would not detract from the beauty of our 80s:D

I suspect the H2 is wider than the 80, so I think the centered mounting will still work and give enough clearance to clear dropping the tailgate. Measure twice, cut once, though....:confused::hmm:

Not sure the tow hooks are an integral part of the swingout, as I think I've seen em on H3s, also. Probably bolt to the same spot to mount the swingout from the looks of it. Just a reminder to make sure you get all the goodies if there's one at the pic-a-part.

I looked at these a lot too. I think it would work. The stock rear cross member is beefy. You might have to do some serious cutting to the bumper wings as well.

This looks like it would be an easy fit on my rear bumper. Going to try to find one close and take a look.

I wonder how much trouble it would be to adapt this one to my current bumper

81_4.jpg

2010-05-27%2019.42.07.jpg

you would probably have to mount it off center to one side of the rig, otherwise you wouldn't be able to lower the tail gate. You would also need to build the support for under the plastic bumper end where you would mount it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom