IPOR bumper install and mod questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
So I finally took possession on my IPOR bumper over the last weekend. This is the one that SPROCKET3 previously had installed on his LX after it was powdercoated to match the Lexus trim color :grinpimp:

I had a particular payment plan set up with him because...well... to be perfectly honest I had to hide the purchase from the :princess:

This was a major pain being as she is an accountant but I persevered :D

SPECIAL THANKS to GORSCHBRANDON for picking this beast up in Portland on his way from Washington to SoCal. They wound up attaching this thing to his 101 trailer...thus rendering his RTT completely useless for the trip. :doh: But he was way cool about it.

I then need to give HUUUUUUUGE props to SPIKE STRIP for letting me use his tools and his driveway to help me install this thing. With his help we had the old bumper and tire carrier off and the new bumper and tire carrier on in less than 90 minutes!!!!
IPOR0.jpg
IPOR1.jpg

The tear-down was pretty easy especially since we used air tools. Just figuring out which bolts to remove and then just disassembling the rear bumper and then removing the tire carrier cross-member. I was REALLY surprised at how little there really was to the bumper.

OH! and just so you guys know..... THIS is what a well maintained CALIF truck looks like under the chassis :flipoff2:
IPOR2.jpg
IPOR3.jpg
IPOR4.jpg

Last edited:
What do you tell a woman with two black eyes???

Nothing....

You've already told her twice!!:flipoff2::grinpimp:

It was at this point that SPIKE began complaining that all I was doing was taking pictures and supervising. Well sometimes you need to put the smackdown :flipoff2:
IPOR8.jpg

Poor guy was under the truck doing the long bolts thru the sides of the frame and one wrench decided it didn't like the way SPIKE was touching it so it bit him good on the noggin. Good thing I had wound closure strips in my EMT kit.

And to reward me for tending to our injured friend...I was stung by a bee :censor:

So this is how it sits in my garage. BARELY clearing the garage door. Tire sits a nice distance from the tailgate and the overall fit and finish is really top notch. IPOR kicks ass :cheers:
IPOR10.jpg
IPOR11.jpg

So now come my questions and I would also LOVE to hear about mods folks have done to the IPOR bumpers.

My first question is what have people done about mud flaps? Is there anyway of using the stock LX flaps? There is an opening to the bumper that I know will get mud and rocks shooting into it. Also being in CA I KNOW I will get a fix it ticket for not having mud flaps

Second question is about the resonator and tailpipe. Has anyone modified it or done something to it to get it tucked up higher? It looks like its just waiting to get smacked.

Third question, where the bumper meets the frame there are two threaded bolts into the frame. Well there is a 1/4" space in there that when we were installing it, that space was acting as a void and was making the metal of the bumper start to twist to fill that gap as the bolts were tightened. Is there supposed to be a spacer in there? What did you use?

Fourth question, what did you use to secure the fuel tanks on the bumper? Yeah I could use straps but that only keeps them from falling. What keeps them from walking away? What keeps people from sipping my gas?

I would like ideas about plate locations, CB antenna mounts, etc etc. I plan on doing some mods to this like possibly a ladder but I need to think about it some more.
IPOR12.jpg
IPOR13.jpg

Third question, where the bumper meets the frame there are two threaded bolts into the frame. Well there is a 1/4" space in there that when we were installing it, that space was acting as a void and was making the metal of the bumper start to twist to fill that gap as the bolts were tightened. Is there supposed to be a spacer in there?

There is supposed to be a washer between the frame and bumper there to level out the gap.

Lance

There is supposed to be a washer between the frame and bumper there to level out the gap.

Lance

Lance seriously...its like 6AM there, what are you doing up already? :D

I was actually going to use washers but wasn't sure if maybe there was a special plate that is supposed to go in there. Do you know off hand what size washers so I don't have to go down and measure?

Lance seriously...its like 6AM there, what are you doing up already? :D

Oh man, I get up at 4 am every day (entrepreneurial disease). The question is, what are you doing up at 2 AM? :hmm:

Our hardware kit is supposed to include several washers that are used to level the wings as well as back the frame mount at this gap. The bumpers are laser cut, CNC bent and assembled in a jig, but very minor variations at the frame mount can be 1/4" gaps at the end of the wing - thus the spacers.

HTH,

Lance

So now come my questions and I would also LOVE to hear about mods folks have done to the IPOR bumpers.

My first question is what have people done about mud flaps? Is there anyway of using the stock LX flaps? There is an opening to the bumper that I know will get mud and rocks shooting into it. Also being in CA I KNOW I will get a fix it ticket for not having mud flaps

Second question is about the resonator and tailpipe. Has anyone modified it or done something to it to get it tucked up higher? It looks like its just waiting to get smacked.

Third question, where the bumper meets the frame there are two threaded bolts into the frame. Well there is a 1/4" space in there that when we were installing it, that space was acting as a void and was making the metal of the bumper start to twist to fill that gap as the bolts were tightened. Is there supposed to be a spacer in there? What did you use?

Fourth question, what did you use to secure the fuel tanks on the bumper? Yeah I could use straps but that only keeps them from falling. What keeps them from walking away? What keeps people from sipping my gas?

I would like ideas about plate locations, CB antenna mounts, etc etc. I plan on doing some mods to this like possibly a ladder but I need to think about it some more.

NLX, you have a very nice bumper. Check this thread out and maybe you can PM or post on Mike's thread and ask him questions. He also added a 90-91 4Runner license plate holder. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/263676-new-tires-bumper-lots-other-new-mods.html

He got some clear pictures there too. Have fun cutting.

Damn you and your well maintained, clean Cali rig. :flipoff2:

Rust builds character! :bang:

Hey that's looking good on your rig. I know what you are talking about with the angle now. I had no idea about the spacers that should have been on the rig. So what are you going to put on the front of it?

Joey,
Bumper looks great! I was going to modify my oem mud flap to fit but I tend to rip it off every time I go wheeling so I am going to go with a flexible rubber flap to try to reduce this. Just food for thought.

Looks Great!

I'm healing.

I figured there were supposed to be washers in there somewhere... :cheers::cheers:

I have yet to have an issue with mud collecting in the bumper wings. It does get in there, but the powder coat is a protective layer. I just hose them out every so often.

I just ratched strap the gas/water tank down on the carrier. The best deterrent for people stealing gas out of them is either a lock on them, or a gun.

Are the dual swingouts an option on the IPOR rear bumpers? On their website I just see the single swingout rear bumper. Also, how does the jerry can holder perform? It looks very minimum versus other bumpers.

yes they are. Honestly, almost anything is i'd imagine if you just called them up and asked. They are outstanding fabricators and great business men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom