Spare Tire Carrier that bolts to Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
Spare Tire Carrier that bolts to Bumper - Updated with Pics

Just got my MIG welder, and after some projects for the :princess:, I am planning to fab a swingout tire carrier to bolt onto the stock bumper / Crossmember, mainly via the 4 pintle hitch holes. I will most likely have to drill one or two extra support mounts off to the side to carry the weight. But working on basic design now. I plan to incorporate a receiver into the design to tow my M101 trailer, as the Valley hitch is WAY too low, I have to run a 6" riser to tow it right now. I don't plan on any heavy towing, the M101 tows very easy.

Has anyone tried this before off of the bumper? Results?

Last edited:
Those are great references, but I was thinking of something more along the lines of this. Bolt to bumper only, not welded on arm, not hidden. Removable / Resell-able if I decide to get a bumper later.

I figure the only actual vehicle mod would be drilling an additional hole in the bumper for additional mounting support.
CCF22122008_00000.jpg

1.remove your oe bumper
2. make a new bumper with the swing out.

the swing out is half the bumper build. by the time you make the swing out you will be so good with the new welder you will want to make a new bumper anyway

then youle make some sliders, and a front bumper, and and and.....

You are undoubtedly right, accept I don't have the fab equipment to precision cut the plate steel, notch tubes, etc, so not looking to embark on the bumper build...Yet. This will do for now, as my goal is to get the tire and factory hitch from underneath, then get some larger rubber on the truck, then a lift, then bumpers.

I've also checked out 4x4 Labs DIY bumper kit, very cool looking and a nice project when I have a $1000 to throw around.

But for now, looking to scratch the short term itch.

Baby steps, mate. baby steps. As I progress, I will post pics. Looking to start the bumper mount / receiver hitch portion this weekend, after Christmas.

Take a look at some of the Hummer H2's or H3's. They have a bolt on swingout as an option. Those may give you some good ideas. They seem fairly similar to your sketch from what I recall.

Your design looks good. Go for it. Good Idea.

Great idea. Love it.pics pics pics. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I also would like to have a rear tire carrier but lack the funds. Looks like a good lower cost solution.

Subscribed...want to see where this build winds up.

...now it's off to become one of Santa Claus' elves and assemble my son's toys.

-KK

Funny you bring this up. I drew something up on paint a little while back with the same concept. I planned on using some steel 2x4's and 2x2's. I also found some end caps that I found would work well in my design. I also had some crazy ideas of using a steerer tube from an old MTB fork I had lying around with a MTB headset as the spindle until I found one of these axle spindles from Northern Tool for $15....

Buy at Fit-Senior.Com Plastic End Caps, Finishing Caps, and Inserts For Tube Steel

Here is what I had in mind. Hope Land Speeder doesn't mind me getting creative with his rig!
Tire Design.JPG
spindle.jpg

Last edited:
Update - Hitch Portion Finished

I got the first stage of the bolt on done. This comprises the 3/8 plate and the new hitch now that the factory Valley hitch is removed. The main plate and the rear reinforcement is 3/8 plate, holding a 6" receiver. Cut from a 10" square.
FlankHitch_04.jpg
FlankHitch_12.jpg

Con't

Primary assembly:
FlankHitch_10.jpg

Con't

Then I realized that although the 3/8" plate is strong, I should have some vertical reinforcement, so I cut some 1/4" plate.
FlankHitch_14.jpg
FlankHitch_17.JPG

Con't

Mounted to truck with Grade 8 hardware.

Top two bolts are 12mm Extra Fine Thread metrics. (Regular fine thread not fine enought...:eek:) I had to go to probably 6 places in Las Vegas to find this.

The bottom bolts are 3/8 SAE, because the bottom holes are not threaded.

This assembly will act as the primary mounting point for the tire swingout - I just received the spindle hinge, hope to start fabbing the swingout in the next couple of weeks.
FlankHitch_19.JPG
FlankHitch_21.jpg

Forgot to add, 1/16" rubber gasket material between plate and bumper to keep wear to a minimum. 10"x 4" piece.

Last pic shows hitch clearance with spare tire mod raising spare 2", until I finish the swingout.
FlankHitch_24.JPG
FlankHitch_27.JPG

Great project, it looks awesome!

Any pics of the backside?

Hope the swing out works the way its planned. Keep me updated cause I also want a swing out and money is an issue.

Great project, it looks awesome!

Any pics of the backside?

Yeah, don't know if you mean from the back of the truck, or the back of the hitch assembly, so here:
FlankHitch_12.jpg
FlankHitch_23.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom