Best option for new Tie Rod Ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I need to replace all 4 of my TRE's. What do you recommend as the best option? 1991 FJ80 that currently has about a 4 inch lift (if that matters)

1. OEM $160-200

2. MAF $139
Tie Rod End Kits

3. Cruiser Outfitters $89
Cruiser Outfitters

4. other?

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Guys,

I need to replace all 4 of my TRE's. What do you recommend as the best option? 1991 FJ80 that currently has about a 4 inch lift (if that matters)

1. OEM $160-200

2. MAF $139
Tie Rod End Kits

Cruiser Outfitters

4. other?

Your going to get a lot of different answers here but I believe that bud built and marlin also has some options.

slee only sells the OEM ends now.

it looks like marlin only sells the tie rod ends, not the relay bar ends.

Last edited:
I bought the ends from Cruiser Outfitters. Holding up well to the 37" tires that they're muscling around. Japanese made as well.

Depending on how rusty things are, you may want to buy new rods as well. They aren't really that much more expensive (ok, they are, but that's not the point) and it can really be a pain to separate the old ends from a rusty old rod. Nice, fresh ends threading onto a rusty old tie rod just seems silly to me, especially if you have to manhandle the rod to get the ends off. If you can get the old ones off in one piece without totally mangling the ends, they make nice trail spares should you need that sort of thing.

x2 on the relay and drag link (both rods). You also have many options there. I went with Slee's and really like the milled flat ends for later adjustment when everything is rusty. Slee doesn't sell the ends - he sent me to CDan for OEM.

How did I know it was time? There was some play in the front and I could see two of the seals were torn. (O.K. I didn't see anything until STLCruiser pointed it out, but I'm sure I would have seen it eventually - when someone else pointed it out :D)

Replace the rods - really. If nothing else, they sure are purty.:hillbilly:

for what it's worth, i orderd the ends from MAF about a year ago. The boots are already cracked and letting the joint get exposed.

I will be replacing all the ends really soon with OEM. Just FYI

Sorry to jump the thread, but how does one go about knowing when to change the Tie-Rod-Ends?

Usually you will replace them when you need an alignment and find out they are seized in place. If the bushings are dry and cracked you should do it because you will have play in the system as the bushings fall apart. If the bushing look fine, and the truck drives straight, I wouldn't bother with them.

Cruiser Outfitters

4. other?

that is where i got mine. very happy with them and the service. there are quite a few 80s running around this neck of the woods with TRE's from Kurt with no issues. They are the same Circle 555s mentioned above.
dmc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom