HOW TO: POWER DISTRIBUTION Part 2-12 volt outlets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Part 1 of the power distribution install- the aux. fuse panel

Part 3 of the power distribution install- the inverter install

Part 4 of the power distribution install- bring da power!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In part one of my power distribution I described the aux. fuse install and all that entailed. Next up was installing the 12v outlets. Now this has been described a few dozen times already. The reason I am going to go into the install in this case is because I will be installing the outlets IN the center console WITH an inverter. The inverter write up itself will be part 3.

I decided to run with the West Marine dual outlets. I considered the triple outlet but after measuring, I wouldn't have enough room. I really liked the look of this outlet. So I was happy with the decision. One word of caution. The plugs that get inserted into the outlets tend to feel loose. I have found its usually because they are not pushed in far enough.

Now for me I was going to be installing both an inverter and the outlets so I needed to be careful about placement. So I went as far towards the firewall of the cab without hitting the bracket that attaches the PS forward screw. While the console is still in place, carefully place the outlet bracket on the console and affix it into place with some tape. This will help you decide its placement AND make sure that its square. I then used a permanent marker to mark the mount holes AND the outlet holes.
outlets1.jpg
outlets2.jpg
outlets3.jpg

Last edited:
Now you need to drill. The only sane way of doing this install is to remove the center console. This is a matter of removing (4) philips head screws on each corner, then putting the gear selector in drive and starting to lift the console out. Before you can get it all the way out you would need to unplug the PWR/2ND buttons (only 95-97) until you can finally get it all the way out and onto a table.

I just followed the instructions on the outlet packaging for hole size and drilled out both large holes just using a wood hole saw. Then just used a small drill bit for the mounting holes. Now once the holes are drilled you then need to deburr the holes. Once that is done go ahead and flip the console over so that you can see if you are now interfering with some of the support ribs that are part of the console. I found that I needed to trim two of the ribs if I was going to be able to get the nuts over the bolts AND get the support ring around the outlets. This was surprisingly easy because all it took was a razor blade and a steady hand to trim off where I need it to.
outlets4.jpg
outlets5.jpg

One quick dry fit test with the mounting ring means I am good to go. I then attached the bracket and the outlets and cinched everything down. Now all it was was a matter of bring two sets of 12AWG pos/neg cable to the outlets and bringing those to the new fuse panel. Easy peasy.

Part 3 of this series will discuss the inverter install

outlets6.jpg
outlets7.jpg

Last edited:
how come you make everything look so easy. :hillbilly:

thanks for the writeup, i am sure something like this will come in handy on my truck soon.

jon.

I just did this same thing with the same outlets about 1mo ago before my Colorado trip. I took it a step farther and installed two more sets one in the back of the center console and one if the far back next to the ash tray for the fridge etc. I didn't get as fancy as you with the inverter and installed that under the drivers seat and you can get to the switch and outlets from behind the seat. BTW I love these outlets...they are a bit pricey though.

Well what sucks is if you have an LX you cant install one in the rear of the arm rest console. There is a box in the way. I've tried many ways to figure it out. <edit>I am doing a MAC mini install where the CD changer was, is that where you installed the other outlets?</edit> My solution instead is to mount them on the fold down arm rest for the rear passengers. I am waiting until I do up AATLAS/s leather before I install those. You can see the idea here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/206375-97-lx-rear-armrest-idea.html

As you can see, I have waaaaaay to much time on my hands.

I am just about to upload my inverter install but I didn't want it under the seat becasuse of noise and the risk of water....never know. The second set of outlets will also be in the same rear ashtray location you are talking about. Its really the only way to go.

I just did this same thing with the same outlets about 1mo ago before my Colorado trip. I took it a step farther and installed two more sets one in the back of the center console and one if the far back next to the ash tray for the fridge etc. I didn't get as fancy as you with the inverter and installed that under the drivers seat and you can get to the switch and outlets from behind the seat. BTW I love these outlets...they are a bit pricey though.

Last edited:
I have an LX as well but the previous owner had a second head unit installed in the back of the center arm rest console and when I took that out I had a perfect spot for the sockets....I will see if I have pics.

It's in the black part of the console on the back.

Black part of the console?? Yup no idea, guess I'll have to wait for pics.

Quick update...

I'm starting to really not like these outlets. Just way too easy for the adapter to slip out breaking the connection to power. I've tried widening the metal springs on the adapters but that doesn't seem to work too well. Next step is to see if I can somehow compress the metal leads inside the outlet to get it to compress around the power adapters better.

I am thinking of insatlling one of these in the rear cargo area.

Have you seen any other brands of outlets that you would concider "better"

X2

Any other notes on installing would be helpful. I have 8 gauge power going back there for my amp, just not sure the best method to split off that will be. Im moron when it comes to electricity.

X2

Any other notes on installing would be helpful. I have 8 gauge power going back there for my amp, just not sure the best method to split off that will be. Im moron when it comes to electricity.

When you say "split off" do you mean as a distribution point? Or to a fuse panel? Or...?

When you say "split off" do you mean as a distribution point? Or to a fuse panel? Or...?

Sorry, should have clarified. Distribution point. Or maybe I will need a fuse panel up front as well. The 8 gauge running my amp currently is fused in the engine with a 30amp inline.

Last edited:
Sorry, should have clarified. Distribution point. Or maybe I will need a fuse panel up front as well. The 8 gauge running my amp currently is amp in the engine with a 30amp inline.

The term split off threw up a red flag for me as well.

I was in our local Boaters World, which is having a going out of bussiness sale, all electrical is 30% off.

I don't recall the brand of 12 volt plugs they had, I would buy the wire there, anchor brand marine grade (the good stuff IMHO)

Just updating this thread. I replaced one of the crappy 12v outlets with a dual USB charger. Fit right in with no modes. I just moved the plugs from the old socket to the new USB socket. Easy peasy.
USB plugs1.JPG
USB plugs2.jpg

Holy crap I haven’t updated this in a long time :hmm:

Since I have ARB drawers I’m stuck with an annoying gap between the drawers and the second row. Decided to CNC router a piece of 3/4” birch and then primer and paint it. From there I cut out two slots for my SB50 flush mount brackets, one on each side.

C5F98707-49A0-4370-AAD2-BC617D7DDD2F.jpeg
AA91B32E-08B5-4551-A3D5-72635578E193.jpeg
A0D75EAE-CE8D-4FA3-B600-62048AFAF4EC.jpeg

" The second set of outlets will also be in the same rear ashtray location you are talking about. Its really the only way to go. "

Unless, that is, you have dogs who like to stand on them while taking in the scenery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom