Starter or Neutral Safety switch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Sarah's 1996 LX450.

Symptum : Turn key and no starter noises no clicking. Problem is intermitant

First thought was bad cables and connectors ( a little loose) worked for a bit

Then thought bad cell in battery and replaced with new Red Top. Worked for a bit.

Starter contacts done last year.

It is about 100 deg around here.

Tried the screwdriver with the safety switch trick and no joy. But I have never done it myself so I don't know if I was doing it right.

When it is failed, all other electronics work. No fuses or EFI links are bad

Measured 12V on the starter.

Did not take the harness that ties the Neutral Saftey switch down to troubleshoot.

Thinking either the Solenoide on the Starter of the Nuetral Saftey switch.

I'll do some more research, but thought someone might have some quick pointers

Last edited:
I will throw my 2 cents in here...try taking the 12v connector off the starter and make a jumper....then touch that to the positive battery....

I was having a similiar issue and did this for a while..kinda pain inthe a#$ to lift the hood each and everytime put it worked...

oh ya you have to turn the key to the strat position prior to touching your new jumper to the positive battery...

Had the wife try and start it while I smaked the starter (She wasnt home earlier) and got it to start. Looks like a solenoide.

For all I know it might be an aftermarket POS. I'll pull it and see and stop at the parts store in the morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad form to make fun of a moderator when yer post count is in the low three-digit range.....:eek:

:lol:

He flies rockets better than he spells..............I hope...;)

If it were me, I would sell it and buy something more recent. Like in the 20th century :doh:

I don't get it:meh:

Course I noticed I had a typo and fixed it first:D

You found the thread I posted on Romer. I talked to Tim (Calfj60) and explained how I bypassed the the harness with the NSS by taking a wire from the solenoid and touching the battery.

Tim did you solve your problem yet?

I would check the NSS connector if you haven't Romer.

You found the thread I posted on Romer. I talked to Tim (Calfj60) and explained how I bypassed the the harness with the NSS by taking a wire from the solenoid and touching the battery.

Thanks, it looked go from the angle I had. That starter has never been like the one in my 80. Even after I rebuilt it it just doesn't sound the same and it doesn't let off as quickly. Tried everything and a whack with a hammer while my wife tried to start it got it going so that isolates it from the switch.

It was the intermittant part that is a pain. You think you got it fixed and a week later its back. Hoepfully, changing the starter will fix it obce and for all.

Here is a good thread as well, time to go inspect that connector https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/172212-intermittant-starter.html

Thanks, it looked go from the angle I had.........It was the intermittant part that is a pain. You think you got it fixed and a week later its back. Hoepfully, changing the starter will fix it obce and for all.

The connectors in my NSS looked exactly like the one's in TOY350's picture. I would never have found them though if I hadn't actually removed the wire connectors (I messed up the rubber gasket in the plug body during some of my troubleshooting). I had taken the NSS plug off a number of times before I found the snapped splice. One part of it even stayed in the NSS connector. I would recommend removing the two wire connectors from the plug to verify their condition and rule that out for certain.

My problem sounded just like yours: intermittant, only happened when hot, 12v at starter etc. This is what fixed it for me. Good luck!

Romer,

I am having the same problem with my starter, from your description it sounds almost identical. I have for the last several weeks been carrying a hammer with me and usually about every 5 starts or so, I have to give it a nice love tap and she fires right up. I was planning on ordering parts to rebuild it, but when I investigated the starter for a part number I found that the PO had a non-OEM put on. So it looks like I am going to source a used (maybe new) factory starter. So if any has a spare laying around let me know and I will send you some cash for it.

Go luck with the fix. Sorry I couldn't give any useful input.

I had to give up the old starter as a core. All replaced and all good so far. I think the old one was an aftermarket.

I hope that was it Romer, keep us posted. If you are like me it might take a while to fully trust that key turning it over, I still crossed my fingers that it would kick over every time!

I don't quite know how or why it fixed isteslf but it did...after using the jumper wire for like a month I disconnected it and haven't had a starting issue since...the connection might just have been bad...Thanks again for your time and help on this issue...

Sarah called me at work and said it wouldn't start again. Giuess I will be looking at the switch more closely tonight

Sarah called me at work and said it wouldn't start again. Giuess I will be looking at the switch more closely tonight

I had a similar problem. You'd go to start it and you'd hear a "click" then everything would die. I checked all the fusible links, replaced starter contacts and checked wiring. It would work for weeks on end, then pop...it would do it...Only when I needed to be somewhere tho.

I replaced the battery and replaced the terminals on the cables and now she starts perfect everytime. I'm thinking it was a connection at the battery that was just a little yucked or something. The battery always tested fine, even though it was old.

I had a similar problem. You'd go to start it and you'd hear a "click" then everything would die. I checked all the fusible links, replaced starter contacts and checked wiring. It would work for weeks on end, then pop...it would do it...Only when I needed to be somewhere tho.

I replaced the battery and replaced the terminals on the cables and now she starts perfect everytime. I'm thinking it was a connection at the battery that was just a little yucked or something. The battery always tested fine, even though it was old.

Replaced the batteris and sonnectors before the starter. They needed it anyways. Just replaced the neg battery terminal side connector on the cable that ties to the block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom