HOW TO: relabeling your switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Ok so the relabeling of the switches has been discussed in all of about 4 threads and none of them were specifically about relabeling the switch. So I decided to go ahead and pull everything together and do a write up so people can see how its done.

Thanks to CRUISERDAN and TRAILBUS for the ideas!

***NOTE -This is for the later model 80s with the flat socket type switches. I think 93-97 (could be wrong, might be 95-97) ***

NEEDED:
• Printer
• Drop of clean oil
• Small strip of transparent tape
• Black permanent marker
• Razor blade
• 320 grit or finer sand paper
• Scissors

Step One: Using a razor blade, stick one edge of the blade in between the label and the switch and gently pry up. This will unstick the label. The label itself is just a piece of non-opaque plastic with silk screening on one side. The other side, for mine at least, was printed a green hue. I kept as is on the green side.

Step Two: Rub the silk screened side of the plastic label onto your sandpaper using LIGHT pressure. Just a few passes will remove the silkscreen. Use some alcohol to clean the freshly sanded side of dust.

Step Three: Print your labels. Basically they are 3/8" x1/2". I printed them reversed out. Once printed you will need to get a good pair of scissors and cut to fit the label leaving 1/16" of an inch all the way around the plastic. This way you can tape it down. I would not use a razor blade to cut these out because the label will be so small that its hard to trim it without messing up the paper. Scissors make easy work of it.

Step Four: Get a Q-Tip® and dip it lightly into some clean oil. I actually used cannola oil because its clean and virtually colorless. Then LIGHTLY wipe the Q-Tip® on the BACK side of the label you printed. This will make the opaque paper transparent only where you swab with the oily Q-Tip®. Do this so that JUST the icon starts to show through. Don't do the whole label because you don't want light to pass through the whole thing, just the icon.

Step Five: Use the permanent marker to darken in the cut edges making it black all the way around. Then pull out a clean strip of dog hair free transparent tape and stick onto the printed label. Then pick up the tape with the label and carefully center and then stick the tape with the label over the plastic piece. Rub your finger down to get it all to stick, including the edges of the printed label. Then use the razor blade to SLOWLY trim the excess tape all the way around the edges.

Step Six: Go ahead and stick label back into its slot in the switch. Make sure you are right side up!! For my switch labels there was plenty of stickiness to just place the new labels back in but you may need rubber cement if its not sticking.

Viola! Freshly relabeled switch!!!
label_removed_with_razor.jpg
sanded_label.jpg
oiled_label.jpg

Last edited:
Last pics, sorry about less than stellar pics. The second image is what I created in Illustrator for the new labels. Unfortunately I don't know how to change the order of posted pics but the last one is what the label should look like from the back AFTER being oiled.
labeled_switches.jpg
switch_relabel_icons.jpg
new_label.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that's pretty spiffy there!!!

I'm glad you got home OK!:D

Thanks for sharing!

I know it wasn't funny to you at the time (or even now), but it was pretty dang funny to read!

You and (Idaho)Doug should write a book together or something.:D

And as someone already has mentioned somewhere you need to update your sig line and change it to something like:

"84 FJ60-acquired, by far the worst day of my life"

Oh, and not to sound like some credit card company, but....

Buying a used '84 FJ60: $1,300 turning into $3,400.

Gaining wisdom after the whole ordeal: PRICELESS!:D

really nice job, thanks...

THANX! This has endless practical application in the LX cockpit.

What's the International symbol for Ejection Seat?
switch_relabel_icons.jpg

Thank you.

Haha, BTW...the symbol on the right ISN'T for dual batteries. Its actually for turning on/off the quick disconnect jumper cables.

NLXTACY,
Did you make up your own symbols, or did you find a source of clip art and choose your "house" and "battery jumper" from that? I'd like a symbol for a winch and another for an air compressor, but I'm not much of an artist.

TRICKYT, did them myself. I will go ahead and make up a few more. I am going to need these soon enough anyway.

I need to look into doing some of this for a customer. Have you guys thought about using transparency film for photo copiers? When I was in that industry they made transparency sheets with a matte finish on one side so the toner would adhere better. Seems it would work great for this application with a laser printer. Print them out, a lttle double sided tape and you're done.

Any chance some one could help me out with the graphics? I need to install a "JUMP" switch for a dual battery setup and the graphic of the two batteries would be ideal.

Hey Rick, after using regular 3M clear tape I'm unhappy with it. If I were to redo them I would use that stuff that CDan uses which is also 3M. Personally I would just uses paper and a good adhesive clear film.
Is what I have for the jumper cable icon but add in the "jump" ok?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250410&stc=1&d=1217914867

I still have the file and could change it pretty easily.

Well I will gather what I have/can find and make one PDF file and keep that updated. I will make a new thread for icons/labels to make searching easier.

Nice work X, looks factory:grinpimp:. I have some switches I need to relabel. I also have a E-flasher that won't light up. I'll have to take it apart an see what is going in inside because it's not the wiring loom (other switches work on the same plug).

Nice writeup. :wrench::wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom