HOW TO: installing a garage door opener into your 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
HOW TO: installing a garage door opener into your 80 **updated**

Yes folks, I wanted to install the garage door opener as part of the vehicle instead of having it hang down from the visor. I didn't want to make access to my home that much easier and mainly...well I'm a big dork and I thought it would be cool. Someone else here did something very similar so I thought I would blatantly steal the idea and write up a How To.

Total time: 90 mins (but this was to figure out what I wanted to do)

Tools needed:
• Used warning/emergency lights switch
• Garage door opener (Chamberlain used in this example)
• Wire cutters
• Soldering iron
• Philips screw driver

I bought both warning light switches from SNOWCRUISER a few days ago and they came in today. So I got right to work to making this into my new garage door opener.
first.jpg

Last edited:
The first step is to remove the socket from the switch (HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE A SOCKET). Then remove the actual switch from the housing. This is easily done by using a very small screwdriver to press in the tabs on the side. Then using that same screwdriver press the pins that are inside the socket. By pushing them into the socket it will push the whole switch out.

Once the switch is out, you need to remove the small, white, plastic detent. This magically transforms the on-off switch to a momentary switch which is what you want for garage door operation.
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Now take your garage door opener apart. All you need is the board and the battery. Everything else can be tossed. You will notice three micro switches. Two next to each other and the third spaced out further. That's the switch you want to use. Start by de-soldering the pins that hold it in. I only removed the two pins closest to the edge of the board but you can remove the whole thing with no issues.

You will then need to expose about .25" of wiring on the socket. Look at the photo to determine which wires you need. Now you will notice that the wires are actually too big to fit into the de-soldered holes. I removed about half the thickness of the wires to make sure it fit. Once it does, you can then solder in the wires to the board.
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
Now remove the bottom trim shroud found under the steering wheel. Then also remove the trim that goes over the steering wheel. This is the piece that you will need to install the switch. ASSuming of course you are installing it there and not the front console. :flipoff2:

Go ahead and remove one of the blanks and insert the board and switch.
6.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
HOW TO: installing a garage door opener into your 80After

After the socket is in put in you will need to secure the board onto the switch now that its inside the trim. Obviously you cannot do this before or else you wont be able to get the switch in the hole.

I used both tape and zip tie. Yeah I am lame and couldn't decide which one I wanted so I used both.

Slide in the trim and button everything back. You now have a new garage door opener that some punk wont be able to steal out of your truck to gain access into you garage. Ask me how I know. :bang:

Now you have the two wires that are there for the light. I really want to get the light to work with the dash lights. So I am assuming that just one wire to ground and the other tied into the dash light switch should suffice. Anyone else have a better idea?

Also, this would be a fantastic time to ask:

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO RELABEL A SWITCH!?!?!?

I don't mean stick a label over it, I mean actually take off the old and design and label a new.

Enjoy!!!

:beer::beer::beer:
8.jpg
last.jpg

Last edited:
:clap: I love it, this could be great for faq! I wish i had a garage door opener! :hillbilly:

Thats a sweet write-up. This once again proves how not creative I am, I would have never thought of this.

No ideas on how to relabel. Is the triangle printed on the face of the button?

Awesome job!

Great Job, may have to try this one.

WOW, that's cool. I would just leave it as is; super stealth with a twist of red herring garage door opener-hazard button! it's almost like a bat-cave button ;)

Do the dash lights only come on when the ignition is engaged? In other words, will the opener operate with no key in the ignition?

WOW...that is freaking cool! Nice work!

Yes the red triangle definitely looks as if its silkscreened onto the button. I am thinking of using paint stripper BUT I am concerned that it may be too harsh for the plastic and start melting it.

No ideas on how to relabel. Is the triangle printed on the face of the button?

Actually that is what my wife said to do last night. But I would get more :banana::banana::banana: if I can find a way to relabel :D

WOW, that's cool. I would just leave it as is; super stealth with a twist of red herring garage door opener-hazard button! it's almost like a bat-cave button ;)

By "opener operate" do you mean lights or the opener itself? Because the opener itself isnt wired into the vehicle yet. So it works no matter what. Now if I want to wire up the light, and I do, then it needs to be wired in.

Do the dash lights only come on when the ignition is engaged? In other words, will the opener operate with no key in the ignition?

But I thought part of the benefit is that the button is stealth. If you relabel it, you may lose that depending on the label.

I guess that begs the question, what do you want for a label?

Either way, very nice mod and excellent write-up.

Just to be clear, the cruiser does not power the opener - so you will need to have access to change that battery occasionally, correct?

But I thought part of the benefit is that the button is stealth. If you relabel it, you may lose that depending on the label.

I guess that begs the question, what do you want for a label?

Yes that is true, but all I wanted to do was make an icon, not lettering saying its the opener.

Just to be clear, the cruiser does not power the opener - so you will need to have access to change that battery occasionally, correct?

OK for now that access is just removing the trim which seriously takes like 3 minutes. NOW I HAVE been looking for a method to reduce the power from 12v to 3v to actually wire it into the truck. Everything I have seen on Google shows a big ole' brick to reduce power to 3v. If anyone else has a suggestion I am willing to guinea pig myself :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom