While trying to rid the P0401 CEL...I learned I am dumb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
HELP!!!!!!!!

Well, I was reading through all the threads and figured I would give it a go to get rid of the CEL. In reading I came across RAVENTAI's thread about testing the EGR etc.:
IH8MUD™ Forums - View Single Post - Alternate EGR tests ( P0401 )

I also found this image in which the thread mentioning using a drill bit to run through the small tubes to remove the carbon buildup. On some images there were tons of carbon. Well on mine there was zero carbon. Looked clean. Like...too clean. I figured maybe there was a blockage, so I ran a drill bit...by hand...to see if there was blockage here:

attachment.php

So if you had to take a guess, what would be the ABSOLUTE WORST thing that could possibly happen while running a drill bit...

.....by hand

....in a small hole?

YUP, you guessed it. I RAN OUT OF BEER!!!! :doh:

.....and then dropped the drill bit down the hole!!!!!! :whoops:

Soooo dumb. So here is what I have learned so far:
• The hole only goes in about three inches and then stops
• a 2.5" drill bit dropped, will fall all the way in, barely half an inch from the opening
• Removing the modulator and the EGR valve were a lot easier to remove then I though it was going to be
• Removing the EGR valve DOES NOT allow access to the drill bit as I had hoped
• The drill bit plugging the hole to the EGR Valve has ZERO affect on the driveability of the truck, cold or hot
• A dental pick lance will not get it out :bang:
• The drillbit is not wedged in, its just dropped in
So, is there ANYWAY to get this drill bit out WITHOUT having to remove the entire intake manifold?!?!!?

HELP AN IDIOT!!!!!

Last edited:
drill bit

How about another drill bit ,same size,with a dot of super glue on the butt end into the hole , let sit a sec and pull both out ??? Try Magnet first .

Try a magnet yet?

If a powerful magnet alone does not do it, attach a nail to it and stick it down until you touch the drill bit.

Does anyone know the shape of this hole? Does it make an L turn inside the intake? I need to clean that port, but have been afraid of going too deep and puncturing a lung or something like that. Thx.

I second the 'shake it' method.

The tube is straight but the other end has a rubber hose attached.

Does anyone know the shape of this hole? Does it make an L turn inside the intake? I need to clean that port, but have been afraid of going too deep and puncturing a lung or something like that. Thx.

Straight line that passes through to the VSV on the underside of the intake. the is rubber vacuum hose on the other end that could be damaged by a drill bit if it were long enough so be careful,

as for how to get the drill bit out how about pulling off the vacuum line on the other side gravity should do the rest.

Dude I thought I was the only guy that does stuff like that!

Good Luck:beer:

Try a magnet yet?

Yes tried the magnet, does nothing. I then tried magnetizing a paperclip and then a dental pick. No luck. The magnet is just not strong enough. Plus it doesnt help that the tube itself is metal :bang:

How about another drill bit ,same size,with a dot of super glue on the butt end into the hole , let sit a sec and pull both out ??? Try Magnet first .

I am going to try this one tonight. I have a feeling this will be my best bet but what I am worried about it putting too much glue and possibly glueing EVERYTHING in there together :doh:

Just turn the truck upside down and shake it.

THIS IS EXACTLY what the :princess: said. I guess all :princess: think alike :flipoff2:

I guess I COULD rent a crane....

For me it seems to just bottom out.

The tube is straight but the other end has a rubber hose attached.

?????? Other end??????

Straight line that passes through to the VSV on the underside of the intake. the is rubber vacuum hose on the other end that could be damaged by a drill bit if it were long enough so be careful,

as for how to get the drill bit out how about pulling off the vacuum line on the other side gravity should do the rest.

To be honest I didn't even check to see if that tube went all the way through or not :censor:

BTW, thanks guys for the suggestions :beer::beer:

How firmly wedged is the bit? Maybe use a shop vac to try and suck it out of the hole? The superglue on another drill bit idea seemed good too.

How firmly wedged is the bit? Maybe use a shop vac to try and suck it out of the hole? The superglue on another drill bit idea seemed good too.

No shop vac, that takes up valuable real estate. :frown:

Yeah the super glue trick is going to be my best shot I think. I will report back tonight. If that doesnt work then I guess I will see where that tube goes to and just give it a reach around.

Er...wait...

dude, take a look at the other (manifold upside down) pics on the same thread , and notice the "other" side of this nipple. There's a hose attached to the other side of the nipple, so just remove that hose and let the bit fall out!

edit: yeah, what Raventai stated earlier..

haha, man, I was afraid of doing the same exact thing. I ended up using some unsheathed copper wire to run through all my vac hoses figuring a little bend is a good thing and I could make it long enough to avoid dropping it in!

Try just a tiny dap of super glue on another drill bit. Set it down on the drill bit and let dry 1 minute. Even I tiny amount is very strong and should easily bear the weight of your drill bit.

I would be cautious about the super glue bit. Not a great idea IMO, at least at first. Try first with something less likely to glue the bit in, perhaps? Like silicone glue?

But first check the other side per RT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom