Install Eclipse AVN6620 Navigation etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please also refer to original post by NaterGator who started us on this wonderful path! https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/155135-new-navigation-headunit-eclipse-avn5510.html

I wanted to summarize the install in a focused post so here goes.
I bought the AVN6620 ($860), iPod adapter ($45) and backup camera ($159) from cartronixplus.com and they matched e-bay prices. Yes you can also do Bluetooth phone, satellite radio and TV tuner, which I did not. Do not get a amp harness or front trim bracket; you do not need these extra items.

The bracket from the OEM head unit (HU) screws off and goes right on the AVN HU. And will screw in the same location using OEM hardware (nice!) You need a Toyota harness off e-bay, which cost about $5-6. See here IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - New navigation headunit, Eclipse AVN5510

Get stared by taking off your dash section, glove box and passenger kick panel. 4 screws and the OEM head unit is out. Unplug it from the back and you will not use that plug any longer. Notice in the same cord as the OEM plug there are 2 other plugs that plug right into your aftermarket Toyota harness and bypass the amp (sweet Jesus how nice is that). Now go to the right of your glove box above your tweeter and you will see the OEM amp. Unplug it since you will by pass it. Two screws and the amp is out and that space makes for a perfect location for the iPod adaptor.

Put the OEM brackets on your AVN HU and start putting together the wires to the Toyota harness. All the colors are a perfect match so not much thinking. There is a remote amp wire that I did not use. Everything worked great with the exception of the wire that was the Red ACC power supply so I bypassed that one from the HU to a power source. Everything else was plug and play.
The AVN comes with a lot of extra wires that you do not need to use and will save you some room when installing since it is a tight fit. I did not use the external video and internal video cables or the amp cable with steering wheel remote.

I also did not like the screen going into night mode when I turned my lights on since I like to have daylight running lights on certain situations. So I connected the orange illumination wire to a simple switch that I can control nighttime mode when I want it.

Now connect your VSS (red wire with orange strip) and reverse signal wire (red with black strip) Follow the yellow box install IH8MUD.com PRODUCT REVIEW: Yellow Box Electronic Speedo Correction to find the VSS wire and the reverse is right next to it on the same harness. Just ground the parking brake signal and you will have full control of your HU while driving! Make sure everything is working before you install!

Run all you wires from the glove box to the HU now push the HU in and pull excess wires from the rear of the HU into the glove box space. There is not enough room to just push all those wires behind the HU. Screw in the HU and zip tie everything out of the way.

I did the back up camera a bit different. If you have a aftermarket rear bumper with spare tire holder putting the back up camera under your license plate lights is not going to work since you tire will obstruct your view. Many folk just put it on the top of the rear hatch outside. I put mine inside since I did not want to worry about it getting hit etc. It makes for a cleaner install. I just ran the wire along the passenger kick panel all the way back to the rear and up to the camera. The camera is not centered because the rear brake light is in the way but it is such a wide-angle camera that it does not make much difference. It is a great wide view of everything back there. If you want the perfect install you should screw the camera to the bottom of your brake light and run the wire through the rear hatch gromet but maybe next time!

What do I like!
Tilting head since that location is not ideal for a screen. A bit to low but the tilt feature makes it very good to view. Sound is much improved even with OEM crap speakers and no OEM amp! GPS is spot on. Ipod adaptor is to die for. Back up cam is a true safety feature and you can also have it on any time you want to look back there.:flipoff2:

A great mod and many thanks to NaterGator, Vin-barrett, MF34Inc, Jrob80 for helping me do the right thing!:beer:

Toyota harness to AVN HU.
dsc02685-198_525.jpg

Nighttime mode switch!
dsc02693-176_525.jpg

Rear panel for excess backup cam wire.
dsc02691-176_525.jpg

Money shot:flipoff2:
dsc02689-143_525.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pics!

iPod money shot:flipoff2::flipoff2:
dsc02688-132_525.jpg

Fit is perfect with no trimming etc.
dsc02686-198_525.jpg

Backup cam location.
dsc02692-121_525.jpg

Back up cam view with tilt head!
dsc02697-176_525.jpg

Sweet! This is the unit I have my eyes on. Can't wait to get back from Vegas/Frisco so I can order this bad boy.

They are real nice and the GPS has all the national forest roads on there. They are better marked then the NF map I have.

Prices are coming down and you can get a 6610 or a 5510 for several hundred less if you keep your eye on e-bay.

Enjoy

Nice install! Do all models have the tilting head?

I think the 6610 is the same. The 5510 is almost the same with the exception of having a CD drive instead of a DVD drive. I do not know if it tilts. But I think that tilt feature makes viewing maps etc while driving so much easier and safer that it is worth the extra$.

Great install :beer: I am sure you will be very happy with it just like I have been with my AVN. That is really interesting with the night mode and the switch, I guess on my CD player you can put in day mode whent he lights are on. I wish I would have taken the time to install my stuff but with everything I had done (navigation, 4 speakers, amp, & viper remote start/alarm) I thought it was better to have the experts do it all and get it all done in a day! AWESOME set up thought!

-Next for me the back up camera!

Just checked and the AVN5510, 6610 and 6620 all have tilt heads.

Correct, the AVN5510 and up all tilt. The major difference is in what is accepted in the 'extra' optical slot (IE not the one with the map disc) and I think one comes with an internal HDD?

Also, you can effectively override the night mode by holding the green "menu" button until the display options come up and just tap "day". It will toggle on/off the day mode override. :beer:

Correct, the AVN5510 and up all tilt. The major difference is in what is accepted in the 'extra' optical slot (IE not the one with the map disc) and I think one comes with an internal HDD?

Also, you can effectively override the night mode by holding the green "menu" button until the display options come up and just tap "day". It will toggle on/off the day mode override. :beer:

Damn I should have RTFM:doh:

i'm about to pull the $859 trigger. The ipod is essential and then the wiring adapter. Bluetooth and backup cams are unneccessary for my needs, they would be icing. How much am I looking to spend for the accessories and other basics for self install. What am i missing?

Ps talk me into it, and don't tell my wife.

i'm about to pull the $859 trigger. The ipod is essential and then the wiring adapter. Bluetooth and backup cams are unneccessary for my needs, they would be icing. How much am I looking to spend for the accessories and other basics for self install. What am i missing?

Ps talk me into it, and don't tell my wife.

If all you want is the iPod then add $45 to your HU and $5-6 for the harness and that is it. You will need some wire crimping things to make your harness, black tape and zip ties which are all cheep items at radio shack etc.

You will be just over $900 and last year it would have cost about $1500.

Grounding Question

Not completely on topic but can I ask where you connected the main ground? I have tried everywhere (have an Alpine W205) and the best spot is a bolt connected to the round tubing behind the head unit. I get a constant whine, gets louder when the headlights are on, and a bit of a pop when it's shut off. Thoughts?

Not completely on topic but can I ask where you connected the main ground? I have tried everywhere (have an Alpine W205) and the best spot is a bolt connected to the round tubing behind the head unit. I get a constant whine, gets louder when the headlights are on, and a bit of a pop when it's shut off. Thoughts?

I did the main ground through the harness so it goes to the frame somewhere. You may want to try a ground loop isolator for the noise? Cheep at Radio Shack.

Awesome setup - and I really love those white cotton european driving shoes in the last pic of post #1 :D

dsc02689-143_525.jpg

What is that black knob(?) below the ignition? My '97 has the hole there but I just assumed it is where the older 80's have their e-brake. That's where my '94 4runner's e-brake is.

Salue

Hand throttle

Per Slee: "Keeping rpm's up when winching can be a challenge when you are outside the vehicle. The Toyota factory hand throttle is an ideal addition to any trail vehicle. Being a factory part, it installs in minutes to any 1991-1997 80 Series."

Does this unit have a USB port for a Zune MP3?

Does this unit have a USB port for a Zune MP3?

I do not think so but the iPod interface alone would make me dump the Zune and get an iPod. The iPod interface for the Eclipse is about $50.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom