Builds ROTW DarkCloud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, guess it's my turn at ROTW. This is the second time I've signed up, but last time when my turn came up I was miles away from any available computer, much less an internet connection (not so uncommon in Venezuela). Not the case this time. So, here goes.

I grew up around Cruisers, for as long as I can remember my dad had a Cruiser in the house which we went on fishing trips with. We had a '91 60 for awhile, in '01 he got a manual 80, then a newer auto 80 in '06. I know these model years must sound funny, but down here we've always had Cruiser models last longer than anywhere else AFAIK. 60's until '92, 80's until '07, 70's still around, etc. Anyway, my Cruiser is my dad's old '01, in the process of being paid for in strict payments of whenever I feel like it/have extra cash.

Here it is as it was when I first got my hands on it, on one of above said fishing trips:

pic14.jpg

At the time it had 265 Michelin ATX's, 1" front spacers, 0.5" rear spacers, and Procomp ES9000 shocks. The roof rack wasn't part of the deal, so it went on my dad's new Cruiser after the trip.

It stayed like that for awhile, while I saved up for lift, better tires and other mods. In the mean time, I pretty much did whatever and went wherever I wanted with it. Well, almost:

autana03.jpg

autana02.jpg

Whoops. :doh:

It took 2 other 80's to pull me out, and didn't start for about a week. Couple friends and I took it almost completely apart before we figured out the gas pump wasn't pumping. Turned out the gas pump relay shorted; no gas, no start. We felt soooo stupid LOL :doh:

So, that's my Cruiser's history, on to as it is today. Mods I can remember at the moment:

- OME J springs & L shocks
- OME steering stabilizer
- OME castor bushings
- 315 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial's
- ARB-type Inti brand front bumper
- Kaymar-type Inti brand rear bumper w/ tire carrier
- Midland CB radio (can't remember model no)
- K40 CB radio antenna
- Custom made ceiling console (w/ mounted radio & Maglite flashlight)
- Extended axle breathers

I think that's about it, given that's I just woke up I can't really remember anything else LOL. I'll probably remember something else later on.

Future mods in planning include a full floating rear axle swap (Vennie 80's had SF until '01), Ramsey RE12000 winch, OEM subtank, OEM snorkel, maybe 325/80 Baja Claw's, 4.56 o 4.88 gears depending on if I'm sticking with 35's or changing to 37's, and OME 4" comp springs once all that extra weight finds its way onto the rig.

Here are some pics of the Cruiser, only ones I could find right now. Hope I made at least an ounce of sense in my drunk-by-sleep state of mind. I'm looking forward to what y'all think of my pride and joy! ;)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Cheers,
Miguel

sweet.

very simple/clean looking.. I like that & the color... oh, what that's in the background of the photo in the river... no, I dont mean that 70 looking thing...lol

Sweet 80, id say your pride in joy is a beauty. I love the clean lines of no flares, no sliding windows, and clear corners on the gray. Now just gotta paint the front bumper gray :)flipoff2: small joke) and shell be set. Also ive never seen the chrome handles and mirror covers on any other color than black; is that a venezualan thing or can they be ordered aftermarket? But by far my most favorite is your wheeling partner mod!!!!!!!!!!! where do you get one(or two) of those?:D
a.jpg

Jeeeez...... my lack of cpu imaging skills just earned me second place.....touche. Nice rig still.

very simple/clean looking.. I like that & the color... oh, what that's in the background of the photo in the river... no, I dont mean that 70 looking thing...lol

Sweet 80, id say your pride in joy is a beauty. I love the clean lines of no flares, no sliding windows, and clear corners on the gray. Now just gotta paint the front bumper gray :)flipoff2: small joke) and shell be set. Also ive never seen the chrome handles and mirror covers on any other color than black; is that a venezualan thing or can they be ordered aftermarket? But by far my most favorite is your wheeling partner mod!!!!!!!!!!! where do you get one(or two) of those?:D
a.jpg

Sorry to inform, neither of them were my wheeling partners, and they recently moved to Portugal. Big let down, huh? :p

In fact, while everyone else was trying to figure out how to the rig started and out, they high tailed it out of there to the beach to work on their tans. Not cool in my book.

Nice rig. I am surprised that you have the low hanging Cats. I didn't realize you had any kind of smog stuff. Thanks for the pics.

Jack

Nice rig. I am surprised that you have the low hanging Cats. I didn't realize you had any kind of smog stuff. Thanks for the pics.

Jack

Actually it doesn't have the cat anymore. There's absolutely no smog control down here, no emissions tests, nothing. Hence, cat was removed ;)

More pics, as per request

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

And a short vid

Even more pics, this time of misc mods

Ceiling console, CB radio & Maglite

07.jpg

Space made for future 2nd battery

08.jpg

Extended rear diff breather

09.jpg

Relocated washer bottle and extended front diff breather

10.jpg

Left and right side rubbing due to 315's

11.jpg

12.jpg

That overhead console is TRICK! How did you make it/attach it?

I got a model from a friend who custom makes and sells these, so it was pretty much paint-by-numbers. It made of wood and OEM upholstery. And attaching it was easy, the rearview mirror and cabin light hold it in place, just got longer screws as the OEM ones were obviously too short.

I got a model from a friend who custom makes and sells these, so it was pretty much paint-by-numbers. It made of wood and OEM upholstery. And attaching it was easy, the rearview mirror and cabin light hold it in place, just got longer screws as the OEM ones were obviously too short.

Your friend should set up a website and sell these things - Tons of cruiser-heads would kill for this mod. Of course he would have to adjust the design a bit since almost all of our cruisers over here have the sunroof option.

-Phil

Your friend should set up a website and sell these things - Tons of cruiser-heads would kill for this mod. Of course he would have to adjust the design a bit since almost all of our cruisers over here have the sunroof option.

-Phil

He does sell them only locally, and only through people who know him. No website, no publicity, nothing.

Miguel,
Nice truck and thanks for participating in the ROTW.

I am curious that you don't have sliders and they are not on your short list of mods.

-B-

Sweet rig! I agree with Beowulf, you need to get some sliders on that thing.

You need some mudd boggers and mud boots in that environment..

BTW, Nice factory flareless 80..:cheers:

Miguel,
Nice truck and thanks for participating in the ROTW.

I am curious that you don't have sliders and they are not on your short list of mods.

-B-

Sweet rig! I agree with Beowulf, you need to get some sliders on that thing.

I took off the factory sliders with the idea in mind to get some aftermarket ones, but it hasn't happened yet. I know I need them, I've already banged up the underside pretty good. Next mod on my to-do list is the full floating axle swap, I'll probably slap some new sliders on after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom