I have finally taken the time out and would like to contribute to the ROTW. Not sure where to start so here it goes but please, bare with me and try to follow along with the random side notes.
My obsession with Land Cruisers has been with me since I was 15 years old. I was dead set on getting a FJ40 for my first automobile (back then though, I knew it as “those Toyota jeep looking things!”) Anyway, I found one in the paper and my pops and I decided to go look at it. When we showed up though, I was highly disappointed due to the fact that the FJ40 was really a FJ55 that was sprung over, etc. Me being a total dumba#% decided to pass on it
. So, that is how my first experience with cruisers went.
Jump forward 19 years to 2008. My obsession hasn’t changed for the love of the Cruisers. I have had a 1976 FJ40 (sprung, lockers, etc), 1970 FJ40 (stocker), 1985 FJ60 (sprung over, locked, etc), 1991 FJ80 (OME, ARB, etc) and finally, what I have currently a 1993 FZJ80 with a bunch of things on it. So, yes, this cruiser habit of mine isn’t something new. Now, onto my current rig.
A few years back (early 2005) I was driving in town where I live (Turlock California) and spotted this completely stock green cruiser for sale. I figured what the heck, might as well go look at it since it would be my “fun” vehicle and I wouldn’t be driving it everyday. Well, the cruiser was bone stock, high miles (245k), had cloth interior, clean body, paint was fading in the “normal” spots etc. Then, as I glanced through the window, I noticed that ever soo important switch on the lower left side……….IT HAD LOCKERS! That was it, I was sold on it. I called the guy who was selling it and he met me so that I could take it for a spin. Turns out, the owner of the beast had NEVER taken the rig off road. His wife used the cruiser as a grocery getter and for their church youth group outings to the city, etc. SWEET!!
I will skip boring stuff. Basically, I picked the cruiser up for $4250.00. All I am saying is, I sort of threw out the “hey, this locker isn’t locking, because the light just keeps blinking!” Needless to say, it was just sticking a bit since it had NEVER been used. Matter of fact, the guy didn’t even know what the switch was for! EVEN BETTER!
Ok, so, here is what my rig has transformed into over the past few years.
1. OME J spring lift and shocks
2. Slee spacers in rear and 1.5 spacers up front
3. Extended brake lines
4. Extended breathers for axles
5. 1.5 wheel spacers to give it a wider stance
6. 315 BFG Mud tires on stock rims
7. Painted the stock rims with Satin black (cheap but looks good and has held up for 2+ years now)
8. Put the 100 series brake pads up front (a good mod that I would recommend to anyone doing their brakes!)
9. Line-x the lower half and hood of the cruiser.
10. Snorkel (Ok, wasn’t a necessity which my wife still points out on a daily basis
but damn, it looks good!)
11. TJM front bumper (A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALVARO!)
12. Hanna Sliders
13. Hella lights on the front bumper
14. Slee rear bumper with tire carrier and tow attachment
15. Slee transfer skid plate
16. Slee light harness
17. Con-Ferr six foot roof rack with custom ply wood floor!
18. Four cheap (I forget where I got them) lights on the roof rack!
19. Axe and shovel mounted on the rack (once again, the wife ask WHY!!)
20. Dual battery set up. Running a yellow top and red top with the painless wiring kit.
21. Cobra CB mounted under the JVS Stereo. New speakers all around and pushing a 10inch sub in the back just to give it some good vibrations.
22. Two fire extinguishers inside the beast. One mounted next to the shifter and the other mounted in the rear cargo area.
23. Aux. Power switch in the back cargo area.
24. PHH done with the blue kit.
25. New Rad. (mud jacked up the other one!)
26. Slee extended brake lines
27. Slee swaybar drop kit
28. Extended bump stops
29. Slee Caster Plates
30. Tinted windows all the way around
Im sure there is more things I have done but I cant remember at the moment!
So, this is how my beast sits currently. Oh yes, along with the modifications, the beast has the check engine light on (for two years now) with the 83,84,85 etc codes…….and yes, I do have the “newer” ecu in the beast. ABS light has been on ever since I owned it due to the front right sensor is shot (still looking to purchase one if anyone has a spare that wouldn’t mind letting it go for a low amount?). Basically, when I drive my beast at night the dash looks like a fricking Christmas tree with all the lights on…….I keep hoping one day they will either burn out or somehow “fix” themselves!
What I want for the future (on hold till further notice says the wife!) is the Slee six inch lift, warn winch and some 37 inch tires. Until then, the beast is going to sit how it is.
Here are some shots of the cruiser. Enjoy and once again, sorry for the long winded, random ROTW content. Also, I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time out to answer questions, help me out and just provide great information on this site.