Builds DMC South America Expedition and ROTW write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
Romer Edit: Here is the link to his Blog for this trip On The Road To Ushuaia

It's 1am and I just got Romer's PM about accepting my offer to do the ROTW this week. The irony of course being I'm only about 40% confident I even know where my truck is right now. I know it is in a container. I'm fairly certain it is on a cargo ship and on it's way to Cartagena, Colombia but after that I am just hopeful it will show up here on monday or tuesday. I'm pretty tired so i'll just post a few pics then i'll do the write up in the morning. you can find first ROTW in my sig below.

by moonlight in baja...

IMG_0298%20(Large).JPG

on the beach in Costa Rica...

IMG_1414%20(Large).JPG

and in the hotel parking lot in Panama City just hours before putting her in a container. At the demands of the shipping compnay I paid $7 to have nine countries worth of mud washed off by hand. she sure looks pretty...

IMG_2897%20(Large).JPG

expect the write up around 11am EST monday morning.

dmc

Last edited:
sweet ride. love the pics and how the rig is being used.

1997 FZJ80 Ruby Claire, 40th Anniversary #1892 Antique Pearl Sage Metallic

Working from the ground up…

6- Toyo 285/16/75 Open Country MT

OME 804 4inch Competition Springs front and rear
OME N73L and N74L shocks

Adjustable Panhards and rear upper control arms
Rear lower control arms from Rock Logic

Caster correction plates

Sierra Gear 4:88s

Tundra Double Cardon front driveline

Slee sliders

ARB Bullbar with Ramsey Patriot 9500 winch and Hella 4000s

National Luna Dual Battery Set up with dual Yellow Top Optimas

Safari Snorkel with filthy pre-cleaner (just 2 months of use has made me a convert)

Blue Hub fan clutch

Alpine W205 double din DVD with ipod control

Both rows of rear seat removed for storage
ARB 60liter freezer/fridge
oh and a book shelf

CO2 tank with custom bracket and mount

Home brew/wildyoats rear bumper and tire swing out

Mule Expedition Equipment prototype aluminum roof rack

Eezi Awn 1400 Rooftop tent
Scepter Fuel/Water cans

Wildyoats limb risers for total poseur effect

That is the basic run down. I’ve linked some individual threads to the appropriate items and will be adding more detail/opinions and pics for the various upgrades in a few minutes. crap and for some reason I can't my ftp client to open. i'll get that fixed and upload pics for the other items.
dmc

Last edited:
Looks great, good luck on the baby getting shipped! No worries.

I'm going to go through each item one at a time and try and elaborate in some decent detail.

6- Toyo 285/16/75 Open Country MT

IMG_0685%20(Large).JPG

So I am well aware of the weight concerns regarding the Toyo Open Country MT. I'm not going to enter into that debate here because I am not smart enough to understand the sprung vs. unsprung debate and more importantly I really don't care.

the reality is this. In the last year I have run 3 sets of tires on my 80. Maxxis Bighorn 315s, The Bridgestone Revo 285s and now the Toyo Open Country MTs. I bought the Maxxis for Moab and other rock crawling trips. I ran the Revo's as my daily drivers and for exploration through the deserts of Utah. I love the Maxxis but I only had 4 and didn't want to run a 35 for the trip. The Revo is a great road tire and I have been pleasantly surprised with the off road performance, including a trip to Baja in March. So much so I was ready to purchase a 6th until I came across the Toyos. I'll be honest up front. They were a sponsorship but I will be very candid about their performance. Like most owners I like them. They have handled the weight just fine, the slick wet roads, the mountainous mud and soft beach sand. Have they performed better than any other Mud terrain. i'm not sure. Over the course of my off road experience I have run Dunlop, Goodyear MT's (back in the mid 90s) MTRs, the Maxxis, BFG Mud and All Terrain, Swampers (bias and radial) Revos and now the Toyos.The most surprising thing about the Toyos is how quiet they are on road. Second only to the Revo in my experience. They have 15k miles on them most of which have been winding 2 lane mountain and costal roads and a couple thousand miles of dirt and gravel. They are holding up very well. Like I said, I can't say,since i've never even aired down, that they are a far better Mud tire than others i've owned. however, the road manners are excellent and i've been extremely happy with them so far.

OME 804 4inch Competition Springs front and rear
OME N73L and N74L shocks

I love them. not too much more to say than that. okay maybe a few more words. I ran the J's front and rear with spacers up front. I liked the set up and it rode nice but after bouncing off a huge (hidden under a tumbleweed) rock I bent a front spring and had to replace them. I had ridden in Racerdave's 97 80 with comp springs and decided to go that route. I was a bit concerned about having them in the rear in a fairly light weight truck. the stiff ride and tendency to unload on desecents was a concern. the truck had a tricky ride to it at high speed on dirt roads. Road manners were great with this set up but off road rallying the rear had a tendency to drift too much and occasionally roll more than the stiff front end. I made the descision to swap out the rear Js and keep my truck heavy most of the time for around town. It was the right one. They handle my current load well, with just a bit of sag but the ride is nice and plush. i want to say perfect. I will add a caveat however.

Racerdave and I have very similar trucks except he has 5 in verus my 4 but i think they have the same load rating. last spring we did Behind the Rocks in Moab. On white knuckle hill we each had a different experience. I had my rear bumper, spare and drawers in my truck. he was running a stock rear bumper. it is a major drop and my truck didn't not want to unload nearly as much as his. The difference may be minimal but his vulnerablity on that obstacle was far greater than man. So if you think about running comps make sure you plan to carry weight all the time. Compared to J's and spacers however the ride and travel is far more consistent and predictable. i tend to drive fairly fast on dirt roads and the current setup is made to rally. It is the best solid front axle set up i have driven at speed.

oh and i need to include a pic or two with the 35s...

_MG_9035%20(Large).JPG

Adjustable Panhards and rear upper control arms
Rear lower control arms from Rock Logic (you can see the arms in this post)
Caster correction plates
Tundra Double Cardon front driveline

yes they are inevitable when you start getting taller. I managed to blow out an OME caster bushing so plates were and easy progression from there. control arms were done locally in Utah by a buggy builder known as Rock Logic. with all the links adjusted to the proper lengths and angles the handling is very neutral and all drivetrain vibration is gone.

Last edited:
your rig is my favorite..

Amazing moonlight pic
The secont pic ismy desktop background:cheers:

Last edited:
Sierra Gear 4:88s
The debate on gears has been on going for a few years. As with a lot of 80 owners the cost of gears is a hard pill to swallow. however it was necessary for me with all the weight and some of the elevations I would see. Even then the debate was between 4.56s and 4.88s. After a long talk with Kurt (all talks with kurt are long) at Cruiser Outfitters I went with the 4.88s. figured if I didn't like them once i got home they would have better resell value than 4.56s. i have a great set of friends who helped me complete the project over a weekend. it wasn't just gears however, it was also tcase seals, oil pan and timing cover leaks and the blue hub fan clutch. it was truly amazing how much work 5 guys can accomplish on a cold October weekend.

The 4.88s have been great. even with the weight and drag of my setup i still have power to pass all the chicken buses on steep mtn roads yet i can still manage 80mph on some of the autopistas. in addition the engine braking increase has allowed me to avoid any warpage or excessive wear of my brakes. i swapped out all my rotors and pads prior to the trip as well. i've often complained that the auto tranny needed a 1.5 gear living at 4500feet. essentially the gears gave me that gear. it has been one of the best upgrades i have made without question.

IMG_2540%20(Large).JPG

IMG_2542%20(Large).JPG

Blue Hub fan clutch-

this upgrade has been well documented but here are my numbers according to my scangauge...

in utah, before rack and tent and blue hub my freeway temps were always around 205-208 and around 200 around town. occasionally they would climb near 220 on some of the steeper roads around town after a nice long pull at a slow 35mph.

in utah after fan clutch and radiator flush/clean and rack tent added i only once broke 200 degrees. freeway driving was a consistent 192-194, around town it hovered at 187. So far on my trip I have only ran in 200-210 a few times on long slow climbs into the mountains, the majority of the time i'm around 192 at sea level. only once did i break 210 and i reached 214 on the long steep climb to 11k feet just west of Mexico city. with the 4.88s i was able to pull the grade at 70mph and i think the truck was working a bit too hard in that heat. i'm a huge believer in the blue hub fan clutch and with the gears the motor isn't working nearly as hard to turn the tires. i really have no idea who stumbled across this mod (idahodoug? or landtank maybe?) but thanks. you've eased my mind considerably about the stress on my cooling system.
dmc

Dude .. nice Cruiser ..

When you where here in Panamá and we didn't meet . !

I know I suck. once I got to Panama City I pretty much never got back in my truck. I was so fixated on trying to get the shipping figured out I pretty much forgot I was still on vacation. I never even managed to see any of the locks on the canal. Aside from New Years Eve atop Volcan Baru didn't see anything but the inside of Hotel Montreal.
dmc

Slee sliders

tough as nails and used far too often. I need to learn how to drive.

ARB Bullbar with Ramsey Patriot 9500 winch and Hella 4000s

I left Utah with 3 Hella 4000s on the bullbar. I now only have two. The whoops outside El Arco and my too hot welding broke my center mount and I now have my 4000 pencil beam in the back of my truck. I have used the winch once so far this trip. you'll need to subscribe to Overland Journal to get the full story.

National Luna Dual Battery Set up with dual Yellow Top Optimas.

Expensive for sure but for someone like me it's ideal. constant monitoring of my batteries. My fridge is the only thing attached to my second battery. There have been a few stretches during my trip where I have not driven for a few days and the yellow top has held up just fine powering the fridge. Only in Panama City did the battery finally fully drain. I had to ditch all my perishable food before shipping anyway so I turned the fridge off and after the two hour drive to Colon the battery was fully charged again.

Safari Snorkel with filthy pre-cleaner (just 2 months of use has made me a convert)

I have always liked the look of the pre-cleaner and used my trip as the excuse to buy one for aesthetic purposes. However after only 2 months there is about 3/4 of inch of dirt in the cleaner already. I plan to clean it once I pick up the truck here in Colombia. It's amazing how much crap is in there. Vehicle reliability is at the top of my priorities for the trip and all that dirt not hitting my main filter is just one more step toward reaching Ushuaia. oh and yep i still think it looks cool.:flipoff2:

I know I suck. once I got to Panama City I pretty much never got back in my truck. I was so fixated on trying to get the shipping figured out I pretty much forgot I was still on vacation. I never even managed to see any of the locks on the canal. Aside from New Years Eve atop Volcan Baru didn't see anything but the inside of Hotel Montreal.
dmc

Dave .. that really sucks .. !

At least one beer and a little ride in a 80 series Turbo Diesel ! un forgetable !

I hope you can get back and see more of my Panamá ..

dmc- amazing rig but I have a slightly off-topic question: what kind of camera did you use for that moonlight shot? It looks surprisingly free of noise and I would guess that's either film, DSLR, or some kind of Fuji Finepix with the SuperCCD?

Last edited:
I am from AK. Are you? I noticed your name ALASKACRUISER...

DMC- I cant wait to read about your trip in the upcoming issues of Overland. Your photos are breath taking. Fantastic job on the build up and thanks for the inspiration!

I am from AK. Are you? I noticed your name ALASKACRUISER...

actually I lived in Juneau for about 4.5 years. oh wait, this wasn't meant for me. probably better done by a PM instead of in a ROTW thread. however since i am a former alaskan, where are you in the state?
dmc

dmc- amazing rig but I have a slightly off-topic question: what kind of camera did you use for that moonlight shot? It looks surprisingly free of noise and I would guess that's either film, DSLR, or some kind of Fuji Finepix with the SuperCCD?

the camera is a Canon 20d. lens is a tamron 18 - 200 dII. Here are a few more pics from the same night. it wasn't even a full moon that night. just very clear.

IMG_0252%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0259%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0270%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0301%20(Large).JPG

dmc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom