My 97' LX-450 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lurking here for quite awhile. I caught this bug from a crazy guy I met at divide ride 2007 in Montana, GinericLC, thank Erik. It is nothing more than a full blown addiction now.:D

I have done a ton or reading on here and found that this site has to be one of the most informative forums I have ever been on.

So , I found a super clean, decent mileage 97' LX in CA and bought it and had it shipped home to Montana. 129k on the clock, 2 owner and all the records. Never seen any off road at all and has no rust, so I was very pleased. It has factory lockers, CDL switch, no roof rack and no factory hitch.

First thing was to call Cdan and get my PHH kit and a few acc's to bolt on. Then I needed to baseline my fluids and check all the vitals. Now that I know all fluids are good and vitals are in tact, it was time to get to work.

My first mod was a set of hand built rock sliders. I looked at many threads on here as well as vendors and deceided that i wanted to use several ideas from different sliders on mine. So I contacted my friend Ryan Weber at Montana Auto Fabrication,406-459-4847. He and I came up with a plan and a drawing of what we wanted to make.

The great thing about these sliders IMO is that they are 100% removable and easily to boot. Ryan drilled 24 holes in the frame and tig welded 24 grade 8 nuts on. Then we put a counter sunk hole on the bottom of each support to house a allen head bolt for ease of centering upon installation. So as you will see in the pics, the bolts and lock washers go through the slider plates and tighten right up in the frame. No u-bolts and no welding. pretty cool. Next we needed to address the cat skid plate. Ryan bent 2 pieces of 120 dom 180 degrees and plated it with 1/8" steel. You can balance the truck on it.:grinpimp: We also made a brace from the skid to the frame and bolted it up also. We used 2x4" steel bar for the main beams and 120 wall dom for the tubes. They are WAY overbuilt, but suprisingly easy to put on and take off.

Next plans are the 4" 'J' springs, shocks and spacers. Then I have a set of 315's to bolt up. Then it is on to the front bumper, we will fab that too and then I believe I will get a 4x4labs DIY rear bumper and do a few add ons to it. 4:88's or 5:29's will be last and then the creature comforts inside.

I will update this thread as I go, but i just wanted to give a little back to this great site that has helped me a ton already.

Here are some pics of the sliders on the truck.

aaa.sized.jpg

aab.sized.jpg

aac.sized.jpg

aad.sized.jpg

aae.sized.jpg

aaf.sized.jpg

aag.sized.jpg

aah.sized.jpg

Beautiful rockers!!!! Very interested in those.. I guess I just have too many questions.. I guess I will call him and tell him where I saw them Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
Beautiful rockers!!!! Very interested in those.. I guess I just have too many questions.. I guess I will call him and tell him where I saw them Thanks for the post.

give Ryan a call after the holiday weekend, he made drawings of everything so he could make them again. I told him I was going to post them up and that he may get a call or 2. he rolled his eyes and said whatever. He is very modest, but does amazing work.

Yes he does. Those look like they were OE. I just can't get over the quality and effort put into them. I am tired of the running boards and my daughter is big enough now she can get in and out without those.
Plus i think it will look good with all the ARB stuff I have

Thanks again for sharing your vision and his craftsmanship.

Those do look very nice indeed! One observation though, won't your cat protection hold water/mud etc? It looks like it would act as a big bowl to catch and hold all sorts of stuff.

Nak

Those do look very nice indeed! One observation though, won't your cat protection hold water/mud etc? It looks like it would act as a big bowl to catch and hold all sorts of stuff.

Nak

we have drilled two drain holes since the pics.:grinpimp:

Nice. Very Nice. Price?

Ryan drilled 24 holes in the frame and tig welded 24 grade 8 nuts on.

Very nice work.

Do you have pics of the frame with the nuts welded to the frame?

-B-

Looks good Ben! Remind me never to come up to your place when your wife is home. Another spouse who is probably out to kill me.

Thanks for the kind words Guys, when it gets above 10 degrees, I will get more detailed pics for you.

Erik, my wife already likes you, the cruiser is way more family friendly and she is happy about that, not to worry my friend.:beer:

Dems some good looking sliders.

ken

Guys, my price was materials and time for the first set. he is a good friend and cut me a great deal to make a template. I was the guinne pig.:D If you want a price give him a call, I won't quote prices for him.

weather let up today, should have some more new detailed pics in the next day or so.:beer:

Well, had my first child on dec 5th 2007, my son Nick. That has kept me more than busy lately, so the 80 has not had much attention.

I did get the wheels off, sand blasted and powdercoated gun metal gray, all 5 wheels. Then I mounted up the Pro-comp MT's , 315-75-16 and siped them. Very happy with them in the snow and ice so far.

I will get some new pics shortly. I Got my "j" spring lift just sitting in the shop begging to be installed and I think I might have scored a ARB front bumper locally, we will see this weekend.

I will get new pics up when the lift and bumper are on.:grinpimp:

OK, finally someone took the idea i was kicking around and actually "hugged the frame rail! love it. Great job.

I like the socket-head bolts on the bottom of the frame! Why didn't you guys go with them all around? Still it's a great looking set of sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom