JDM Aux Fan Install - It doesn't get easier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
With as packed as my engine bay is I felt I needed to add an Auxiliary fan. I had forgotten how much room there is in a stock truck for good airflow and was reminded after changing the filter on my daughters LX450.

I was talking to Cdan a few months ago about his set-up and he uses a JDM Fan and said it bolts right in with no modifications.

True to Dan's word, take off the grill. Attached fan using three bolts and wire it up, simple as that. No need to remove the horns or make brackets.

I installed a 30 Amp relay in the engine bay with always hot 12V so I can let it run even when the engine is off. I also wired in a manual switch so I could control when it comes on and off. I put the switch in the little grommet below the ignition.

Installing the fan itself took 20 minutes if that. The relay, switch and wiring another 20-30 minutes.

This was one of the easiest mods I had done.

How does it work. Driving around town today in 81 deg heat (no AC on) the temp gauger climbed up to about 198. Switched the fan on and it dropped 10 degrees in minutes.

Don't forget this is a DC fan. If you wire it back wards it will blow out instead of in so check it before you put the grille on. I had to guess which way to wire it and check the airflow direction before putting the grille back on
Misc 003.jpg
Misc 004.jpg
Misc 005.jpg

Great writeup! :beer:

This is definitely going to be one of my first mods. The A/C in my LX doesn't blow quite as cold as I'd like while setting in traffic (in 90º+ FL heat), and I bet that fan on the condenser makes a difference. Lower engine temps would be a welcome side effect as well. May I ask what your total cost was for this mod?

-10F is good!

Where did you get the relay and thermostat for the job?

Hey Ken,

Is the fan same as the fan on 91-95 4Runner? That was a clean install. Another completed mod, eh?

Don't know if it is the same as the 4runner, I ordered it from Cdan, he can tell you.

Relay is mounted on the firewall next to my aux fuse box. No thermostat since I am turning it on manually in the cab.

It was a little over $200 bones for the fan, don't remember exactly as it has been sitting in my garage for a while during my month in Australia. Switch and relay and wire another $16.

The relay came from Checker. It was one for a external light setup. Make sure the pacakge includes pinout information.

I would love to get a pusher fan but the space in front of my grille is eaten up with the intercooler rad. and tranny cooler. If this summer's temps cause problems it's hood scoop or other venting on the slate.

in JDM configuration the fan is activated when the a/c is turned on.

I wish I had room for this thing - with the intercooler in the way it is hard to find the fit. I think some extension blocks to basically push the plastic grill out might make it work? Still a sideways view will give the truck the appearance of the grill falling forward. Looks like a wonderful mod though. :cheers:

Hey Ken,

Is the fan same as the fan on 91-95 4Runner? That was a clean install. Another completed mod, eh?

As per CDan - No. You can use the male plug from a 93+ (IIRC) Runner fan to rig up the wiring though.

Romer - Where you gonna put your hand throttle now? :D

Romer

Do you have the part number? I have a balance with Mot I'd like to spend. :)

Jon

oooh, I think I may be ordering that puppy...summer is on here in ATL. 93 today!

What is the big benefit of doing this? Are you essentially adding life to your engine? besides allowing to run cooler? Dumber question: you are adding a second fan to the engine bay? confused...

It pushes more air through the condenser and radiator. Especially helps when you're in a slow go situation with the AC on. Mounts in front of the condenser behind the grill.

Nice.. Now I know which way I'm going...

Hey Ken,

The Second Gen 4Runner is a clutch driven fan.

My question is has anyone successfully replaced the stock fan with any kind of electric fan config? I'd love to ditch my clutch-driven fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom