"Rebuilding" the starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What exactly does rebuilding the starter include? Is this the contacts, plunger and brushes or is there something else? I have searched but only seen comments related to rebuilding. I've done the contacts 2-3x in 5 years and plunger once, also have the brushes on the work bench.

The reason I ask is that lately there has been some hesitation on starting past 2 weeks - (similar to another post last week), usually when the engine is cold or sat for a good while. If there is more to the rebuild please let me know. Nelson

Is the mean green starter really that much better? I replaced the contacts and plunger and have been trouble free since doing so. I'd be interested to hear who else has purchased the mean green starter and if it really is superior to the OEM starter.

2 years now on the mean grean, replaced at 80K miles , starts up in half a heart beat, probably overkill... but ... well.... you know... there was a hole in my pocket and the money had to go somewhere ...:)

--don

What exactly does rebuilding the starter include? Is this the contacts, plunger and brushes or is there something else? I have searched but only seen comments related to rebuilding. I've done the contacts 2-3x in 5 years and plunger once, also have the brushes on the work bench.

Pretty much, but other starter system problems can lead you to believe it's the starter, so check out the main cable from the battery to the starter, and the connections at each end. Also consider your ignition switch and the wire from the ignition to the contact at the starter relay. Any weakness along either of these paths will make you think the starter is not operating properly when in fact it is an impedance / voltage drop / current capacity problem.

zcruiser - thanks for the info. At times it seems like the voltage/battery is weak and then other times it starts with half the cranks as usual. I'll check the connections suggested. Nelson

The way that I deal with Toyota starters; The first time it starts clicking, I cleanup the plunger and replace the contacts. The second time I take it apart, clean it up inspect the brushes, bearings, etc, replace the plunger and contacts, grease the gears and bearings, do a "rebuild".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom