Builds Romer ROTW II (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I thought I would do another turn at the ROTW. My truck has changed quite a bit since first one. I will start at beginning though to make this a complete Thread:

In July of 2004 I started looking for an 80 series Land Cruiser to go with my FJ40. I looked locally, but they wanted $16K and above for ones that were not in pristine condition. I started looking on ebay and Autotrader. I was leary of ebay even though my friend bought an Infiniti there. I set my list of requirements for 100K miles or less, Factory lockers, no rust, great condition and for less than $14K. I read in the 80’s thread that the LX450’s were the same thing and started looking at those. I found a black one I really liked in Houston and I pm’d Texican to ask for advice on having it checked out. He put me in touch with Jim Reiss (El Mariachi) and he kindly went to look at it. Jim sent me a 2 page write-up on every thing that was wrong with it and then came the clunker. The underside was rusty and the Carfax showed it spent 4 years in Jersey. I talked it over with Jim and passed. I then found another one in Dallas and Gary Coberly ( Wagonner5) looked at it for me and gave me a similarly detailed report. This was a one owner Texas vehicle with no rust and I ended up buying it. I paid $13.8K with 98,000 miles and flew down to Dallas Saturday morning and drove it straight back to Denver, getting home about 2AM on Sunday. It was a dream to drive and I have been real happy with it.

Thanks Again Gary and Jim!

Photos from ebay showing how it looked when I bought it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first Mod I did was buy 285 75 R 16 BFG AT’s. I had 33” BFG AT’s on my FJ40 and was real happy with both the on and off road performance.

attachment.php

Next up was an Old Man EMU 2.5” lift that I had Slee Off Road put on. This was the standard Medium 2.5" kit.

attachment.php

I then bought a set of Slee Step Sliders. Both the Slee and Hanna sliders were great products. I selected the Slee’s as the Step model makes it “Wife Friendly”.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Before Moab 2005, I wanted an ARB Bumper and it was pretty simple to install myself. I also Installed a CB radio in the Ash tray slot (the trash on the floor is the box and other wrappers from the CB- had not cleaned up yet)

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went to 2005 Moab (with daughterofromer). Moab is awesome and the longer wheelbase of the 80 was perfect.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Summer of 2005 I also installed an M12 Winch and PIAA Lights. Notice the Mud sticker and I switched from the standard antenna to the “bend over” antenna that Nakman uses.

attachment.php

Of course, along the way my family learned the value of armor. My wife is now a supporter of armor:D I have since equipped both Rachel's and Sarah's trucks with ARB's.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50707

attachment.php

Next up was a Slee Rear Bumper. This is a well built unit and was fairly easy to install

attachment.php

I have also learned a lot about Grrr’s in the drive train (There is a write-up in FAQ titled Drive train maintenance), replaced the starter contacts, replaced the Tcase,

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=39514

replaced the radiator due to my leaning on it and breaking the top plastic nipple getting spark plug #6. Installed a 94 new Toyota Radiator as they are interchangeable and $300 cheaper.

I also replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow

I followed others suggestion and installed my CO2 tank on one of the rear seat brackets:

attachment.php

Brentbba's write up is in the FAQ thread on how to do it here starting in post #28

Last edited:
Now the rest of the Story

In fall of 2005, I elected to have my headgasket replaced. Robbie was available and had commented that he saw signs it was starting to go.

Head gasket set replaced, New Spark plugs, Distributor cap and rotor replaced, Spark plug wires replaced, fuel filter replaced, EGR gasket replaced, Distributor O-ring replaced, Water pipe gasket replaced, Fan Clutch replaced, Thermostat and O-ring replaced, Throttle body cleaned out and the PHH replaced.

When the head came off I was told there was tremendous buildup of carbon, more than normal for my engine. The pictures below show the before and after shots.

The head was also slightly warped and the valves needed to be resealed. The head was milled .11. It was running pretty good for all that crap. Must have been the computer compensating. It runs great now.

The PO must have run cheap oil and did not change the oil when they should have. They probably ran cheap gas as well.

No one better than Robbie to do this work. I was very fortunate.

Robbie was unable at this level of break down to get the carbon out of the ring packs. So, researching on bobistheoilguy.com, I found lots of praise for a product called AutoRX. I followed the treatment and won't know for sure if it got the carbon out, but over the next 4 months, my average MPG increased from 12.5 to 14MPG. Same style driving and a steady rise over the 4 month period. I can only surmise it did the stuff, making it easier for the rings to operate. I performed two treatments like they recommended.

Also, before all the work, I was burning about a qt of oil every 6 weeks. I have now gone 6 months without burning any oil, or at least the dip stick still says full.

attachment.php

attachment.php

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=70669
I then installed the Slee Receiver to my Bumper because I was looking for a pop up camper

attachment.php

attachment.php

I then decided on which Pop-up Camper I wanted and found a brand new last years model (2005) Jayco Baja in Rapid City South Dakota for $3500 off. I drove to pick it up and came back in one day

attachment.php

Now it was time for Moab 2006. This year I brought Sarah (ROD - Romer's other Daughter)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Due to the additional weight on my truck since 2005 (winch, Rear Bumper), my lift had decreased and my truck dragged in places it had not the year before. I elected to upgrade my lift by going OME 850J's in the front and 863's in the rear. This raised my lift an inch overall.

attachment.php

I also decided to swap my brake lines for some of Slee's extended lines and flush the Brake Fluid. I replaced the fluid with Synthetic.
I was flushing my Brake fluid using a Vacuum Bleeder kit from Harbor Freight and had an idea about using it to flush my power steering fluid. I stuck the hose all the way down in the reservoir and sucked out the fluid. Filled it with new synthetic fluid, turned on the truck and turned the wheel a few times. I repeated this step 3 times until only clear and new fluid came out.

It was easy and took 5 minutes. These Vacuum Bleeders are a lot easier for bleeding the brakes as well. Mine was $24 with a 20% coupon.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Next up was a lot of Colorado wheeling.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a break between the wheeling

attachment.php

Then more wheeling (isn't that what we do?)
Ghost Town Run 2006 090.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg

Next I installed a Dual Battery Setup. There are a lot of good choices for a Dual Battery Systems. I debated between them in this thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=93700

I almost went with the painless because I liked the manual configuration. I also wanted to run my accessories off of the backup. )I now run them off the main with the hellroaring

I decided on the Hellroaring system from:

http://www.hellroaring.com/

You get the same manual configuration capability with the other systems, PLUS you get the automatic protection capability. I decided to follow the advice of the manufacturer and have all the accessories run off the main. This meant I needed a deep cycle main battery.

So, I am running a Optima Yellow Top for my main battery and an Orbital for my back-up battery.

I used Cruiserdrews technique and installed the unit and the ground fuse on the backside of the battery tray. I do plan on covering the terminals and battery posts better.

I made one modification to the Hellroaring system not posted here. I took out a cover plate for the a dash "Spare Slot" and drilled two holes. I then took apart the remote case that came with the unit (Optional purchase) and installed the switch and led in the cover plate. This integrated the switch and led into the dash, rather than having the remote box attached somewhere.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also add George's LED's for the map and Dome light. What a difference in illumination.

Now for the Fun stuff. It was a real pain driving to Moab and some of the runs pulling that trailer over the mountains. Some passes I was doing 30-35 MPH floored and everything was passing me. I wanted a supercharger, but it's hard to justify the cost. I ended up selling my 1977 FJ40 to my friend Tim Nakari (nakman) and used that money to finish the LX450 off. I was sad to see the 40 go, but it was hard spending money on two rigs and neither being close to where you wanted them.

So I called my buddy the Shaman (crusierdan) an ordered a TRD Supercharger. Note: never call the Shaman near the end of the month as it's during inventory:rolleyes:

So with the money from the 40, I installed the Supercharger and Supra Twin Fuel Pump, ISSPRO temp gauge and Autometer Vac/boost gauge 0-20PSI. I selected the Supra Fuel Pump because my pump had 125K miles on it. I had already changed the injectors and filter. It was suggested that I also get a new pump, and since I am getting a new pump, I might as well install a Supra Pump as it is Capable of providing more fuel if I later decide to work on the regulator or other components.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I then visted Christo Slee and bought a set of outback drawers and an Engel Frigerator. (Note: I have since moved the CO2 tank to the other side as it was too close to the Engel :
attachment.php

As soon as I had these installed it was time for the first Annual Rising Sun Rally. What did we do before the ralley, went wheeling of course. I even let woody drive my truck and he didn't roll it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And like all the runs I went on all summer, I made it a family thing with Rachel and Sarah in Rachel's truck:
attachment.php

Also about this time, I had my CB tunned and moved the antenna location to the top of the Rear Bumper Tire Carrier. I have a 2ft antenna I use in the city and a 4Ft antenna for "adventures." The truck won't fit in the garage with the 4ft, thus the smaller antenna for local driving. The 2ft antenna with a tuned CB works great for highway driving with others.

I also moved the CO2 tank as it was too close to the engel and installed the fire extenguisher. I glued foam to the backside of the CO2 bracket so it would not bang the window. I painted the foam black. In addition, I installed a 400watt (800 watt peak) power inverter.
Drawer 002.jpg

Last edited:
So nakman ( Tim Nakari) and I decide to go to Tornado Alley's First Annual Flat Nasty event in Missouri, a 14 hour drive one way. We had a great time, but the terrain is not setup for wagons. The Trip is documented in this thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=113138

attachment.php

99213641-L.jpg

And I encountered some damage between two trees. woody inspects and says, "Oleg is going to be happy to see you." A lot of people told me that.
99213643-L.jpg

Oleg is an all around mechanic. He installed my supercharger, he does body work, he made the rear bumper for Rachel's 4 runner. He also contributed a lot to Christo's altest FZJ85 (80 series pickup). I count myself fortunate to be in the same club as Christo, Robbie and Oleg. Of course we can't forget Nakman, Ige, treeroot, Hatfield, Hulk, Lexusben, Convert, Wesintl, Red Chile, Zepp, Uncle Ben and others (Sorry if I didn't mention you).

When I got back, Oleg worked his magic
attachment.php

Prior to going to Flat Nasty, My Garmin M3 Ique Pocket PC was stolen and I wanted to make sure I had a GPS System for the long trip. I ended up with a Del Axim x51V PocketPC with a VGA screen. It's awesome. I have installed a 8GB Compact Flash Card with about 70 hours of MP3's and even a couple of movies. I have a 4GB SD card installed for maps and other memory storage. The description and my review of the unit can be found in this thread. I also bought a blue tooth GPS receiver and iGuidance for street Navigation. I still need some topo software for offroad and I am leaning towards memory-map. It's expenisve, but is suppose to be the cadillac of topo packages.
In addition, I looked at buying a universal mounting bracket. They looked junky and I didn't want to worry about my PPC falling off and breaking. So I went to proclip and bought the mounting plate for a Land Cruiser and the PDA bracket for my model Dell. Perfect fit and I am not concerned about vibrations or it falling out:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Also damaged at Flat Nasty was some of my Exhaust Pipe and hangers. I took it into the exhaust shop and we raised it up on the lift. I also noticed that the factory crimps the pipe pretty good to get it over the frame, closing the 2.5" pipe down to 1". So instead of repairing what was there, I asked them to ditch the resonator and replace the pipe from the magnaflow muffler back with 3" pipe. I noticed a definite improvement in performance. The thread this is discussed in along with what others have done can be found here. I am thinking it's a little louder than I would like, like a muscle car. I probably next year will add a turbo muffler or glass pak in series to cut the noise down a bit without hurting performance.

attachment.php

Sarah (Romer's other Daughter) turned 16, so I bought her a 1996 LX450 (no lockers) from Lexusben who had just done the headgasket, fuel injectors and front axle. We of course put the OME lift, ARB and sliders on.
attachment.php

The next dilema is Sarah's truck had bald stock Michellines and I had to buy a set of tires. I had bought Rachel a used set of MTRs last year and you have to be equal with both daughters. I decided the best thing to do would be to give Sarah my BFG AT KO 285's and buy myself a new set of tires. Lots of tread left on the BFG's they wear forever.

After slipping in Flat Nasty and seeing MOJ not have as much trouble with his Toyo MT's. I decided a Mud Terrain would be a good choice. Since I was buying a new set, I also decided to go with 315's (35's). That would provide me another lift of clearance without impacting the driveline angles.
I narrowed my choices down to the Cooper STT's and the Toyo Open Country MT's. Both are great tires and both are suppose to be quiet on the road. I debated the choice in this thread: and selected the Toyo Open Country MT's. Due to them being a little taller, thicker sidewall and having seen some first hand at Flat Nasty.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also installed L Shocks and bump stops for the larger tires. I debated on the need to increase the lift and went to talk to Christo. He basically said if my plans are to wheel in the same kind of stuff I am now, then no need for more lift. He said I do need to add bump stops and he suggested I wheel it and if where they hit the bump stops bothers me, then add lift, but otherwise leave it alone.

However, when I added the weight of the drawers the truck sits level and the back end is a little down when loaded up and towing, so I swapped out the 863 for 863J's in the rear and now I have a little bit of rake in the back.

attachment.php

If I want to step up to more aggressive stuff, then I might want to add lift, but I am very happy with the way it sits and don't think I would want any more lift.

My plans are to keep wheeling in the same stuff for now. I like to go wheeling with my daughters. That's more fun to me then wheeling more challenging stuff.

Both my daughters now have setup rigs

ROD ( Sarah):
attachment.php

daughterofromer (Rachel):
Jenny Creek 032.jpg

Last edited:
So as of now, there is one more thing I need to do and plan on doing this winter. Re-gearing to 4.88's

So my LX450 has come along way from Sept 2004 to Oct 2006:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have meet a lot of cool people here and in person as a result of my hobby. Great People in Moab, on our Rising Sun Club, at Flat Nasty and have even had a few house guests who were great guys.

And I am equipped to go to more events with my Jayco Baja 10Z and the 4000 Watt generator I added on the front deck, see you in Moab for CM07.
Flat Nasty Day 4 007.jpg

Last edited:
S/C'd and 4.88s...:eek: I would love to see that! Think you could peel out? ...nice writeup btw

Wow Ken your truck is very nice! Also, great that your daughters can enjoy your hobby w/ you.

Again, truck is looking great!

Romer once you regear to 4.88's your cruiser will be unstoppable...Nice work, nice cruiser!

Great job Ken. Love all the pictures and the good Lord willing, I'll see you at CM07. You'll have to let Sara work her painting talents on you next time.

:D

-B-

As a former house guest of the Romer family, I can attest to the cruiser madness running rampant in their household!!

;)

Great 2nd round Ken....

See you next time in CO....

Best regards.
-onur

Man, I got misty reading this...great job!

very nice update on the rigs Romer! man, you did alot to your 80!

I think your girls are way spoiled ;) but their trucks look awesome. No lineup pic w/ ALL the Toys incl'd the WOR's 4th gen? :)

Toyota needs to use your family in a commercial!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom