Rear axle seal replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
So the Caird sat for 3 months this summer with no windsheild, and once it was back together I noticed some goo coming out of the rear axle... First I assumed it was a bad wheel cylinder, but that checked out. So it was rear axle seal time!

I'd say this is about a 2X:banana: job....

Safety first!!! You can't use the parking brake while you're doing this job, so you need to chock the tires. I also put the tire under the axle in case something unforeseen happened.

DSC07705.JPG

You can see the goo on my brake drum.

DSC07707.JPG

If your brakes haven't been compromised by the leak, then you don't need to remove the drum from the axle. Here's the mess I had on my hands...

DSC07708.JPG

Remove the E brake cable pin. (Note: 2nd Gen 4Runners have a different E brake cable set up, you will have to remove the drums and pull the cable out from inside.)

DSC07711.JPG

Remove the 4 mounting nuts on the back side of the axle. I like to use the wrench trick on them for extra leverage.

DSC07714.JPG

Once the nuts are off all that's left is to loosen the brake line from the back side of the wheel cylinder. I have a small rubber cap that fits on the end of the line nicely to stop too much fluid from coming out, you can wedge the brake pedal down just a little and it will cover the hole in the master cylinder, which will stop the fluid as well.

Once the line is off and plugged, pull the axle out.

DSC07715.JPG

With the axle out you should inspect the bearings for excessive play. Mine were tolerable for 317K, but I will be ordering a set next time I have reason to get into the rear axle.

And there's the trouble maker....

DSC07718.JPG

Make sure the seals you got are the right size... You did buy Toyota seals right? :D

DSC07719.JPG

DSC07722.JPG

There is also a large O ring that keeps dirt and water out of the bearing, I did not get new ones at this time, I just cleaned them up for now.

DSC07726.JPG

My preferred method of removing seals... Screwdriver plus hammer...

DSC07728.JPG

After cleaning up the end of the axle, use a block of wood or a proper seal installer to tap the seal back into place. Don't forget the O ring and to grease or oil the new seal lip so you don't have a dry start up!!!

DSC07729.JPG

Clean up the back side of the axle and bearing before assembly.

DSC07731.JPG

Slide the axle back into the housing and assemble in reverse order.

My new used brake shoes installed.

DSC07733.JPG

I used:

Rock
Lug wrench
Jack
Hammer
3 or 4 screwdrivers
Small needle nose pliers on E brake cable pin
14 and 18 mm wrenches (18 was to get leverage)
10 mm flare nut wrench for brake line
Wire wheel on a drill
Lots of paper towels and brake cleaner on my nasty brake drum

The bad side took a while because of the cleaning etc. The side that had not failed yet only took 15 minutes or so. Happy wrenching! :cheers:

Last edited:
Excellent write-up!

But you forgot a seal... (the hard one)

...and you REALLY need to get some jack stands dude! I would not trust that little OEM jack for a job like this, especially on the dirt.

Thanks Eagle, edited.... :D

KLF what hard seal? The one that sits inside the brake assembly? I'll change those with the bearings when I do them..... And yes Jack stands would be better, do as I say not as I do. That's why I put the tire under the axle.... :D

I would have gone that route, but truth be told I've had the OEM ones in my shed for several years... The originals only lasted 317k miles.... so they are probably junk... :flipoff2:

The Marlin seals rock, but the stock seals are very good, as well, better than common aftermarket.
I must admit, having come from a Chevy background, it was common knowledge that GM OEM seals (well, anything, for that matter, especially water pumps!) were utter crap, and aftermarket was the only sensible way to go, but once the Toyota infection started to take over, I learned that Toyota OEM was a world above most aftermarket hardware.

What are you doing letting the 'Caird sit about all summer? Life's too short to not drive your 'Yota every day! :D

axle seal part numbers

Does anybody know all the OEM toyota part numbers for the parts needed for the rebuild of the rear axle? I've got one side leaking at the brake drum and I got the 90310-50006 # for the axle shaft seal. Does anyone have the number for the "hard seal" and the bearing and o-ring? Thanks!

Better idea. Go to YouTube. Search for Timmy the Toolman. He has 3 videos. The latest video uses the desired tool. Made the job stupid easy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom