1986 toyota 4runner s.a.s question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im doing a solid axle swap ona 1986 toyota 4runner, i got the solid axle out of a 85 4runner, the question is do i need to remove the torque rod bracket off the 85 axle to fit it into my 86 truck or Can i keep the torque rod in and bolt it to my 86 4runner frame?

Im doing a solid axle swap ona 1986 toyota 4runner, i got the solid axle out of a 85 4runner, the question is do i need to remove the torque rod bracket off the 85 axle to fit it into my 86 truck or Can i keep the torque rod in and bolt it to my 86 4runner frame?

I would just toss it. I got rid of mine after I lifted my 85 4runner and honestly I never noticed much of a difference.

its not a matter of "I would just toss it" its more like, theres no where for it to bolt up.

and high steer wont allow for it.

plus you can articulate as much as a forklift when its installed

Yep torch it off. While you're at it cut off the sway bar mounts too (if it has them).

Ya, there's no mount on the frame for the other end. It's just in the way and holds mud, cut it off.

its not a matter of "I would just toss it" its more like, theres no where for it to bolt up.

and high steer wont allow for it.

plus you can articulate as much as a forklift when its installed

I was assuming he was speaking of fabbing up a mount for his IFS frame. I am sure if you took the time you could get it to work with high steer but like I said, i never noticed a difference getting rid of mine and the extra effort and fabrication to get it to work is just pointless. Unless forklift flex is up your alley, in which case you need some help :D

I'm doing a solid axle swap on a 1986 Toyota 4runner, i got the solid axle out of a 85 4runner, the question is do i need to remove the torque rod bracket off the 85 axle to fit it into my 86 truck or Can i keep the torque rod in and bolt it to my 86 4runner frame?

The purpose of the 'torque rod" is to reduce bump-steer on the original push-pull steering (pics 1 & 2). Since you are doing a SAS, you should be installing X-over steering (allpro, marlin, TG, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom