No longer real time help or ignition problem... broken timing chain/bent valve(s)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
So my 4Runner died on me today, I rolled up to a stop and it died, and would not fire back up. I narrowed it down to an ignition problem, the coil tested bad, primary resistance was 1.5 ohms (spec is 0.2-0.5 or something like that), and there was no continuity on the secondary resistance.

I got a new coil, stuck it in, and the same problem, cranks but will not fire. THen I checked the new coil and it tests bad too.... So I checked for voltage at the + side of the coil, and it's there, but there's also 12 volts at the - side of the coil. Does this mean my igniter is bad? If there is +12 V at eash side, would that fry my coil?

I checked the resistance on the signal generator from the distributor, and it was slightly high at 185 ohms, the upper limmit is 180 ohms, I don't think that's my problem, but maybe that fried the igniter? I'm not sure, I'm about an hour away from home at a friends house, so help me get back on the road. Your leader is in need!!! :D Hehehe Thanks for the help.

Try sticking a plug in the end of a plug wire, then lay it on the engine and crank. If you see a spark, then it's good.

If no spark at the end of the plug wire, repeat the test after putting the test spark plug in the end of the coil wire.
If no spark, then try swapping a plug wire for the coil wire, repeating test w/ plug.

we want to eliminate the plug wires and coil wire as possible culprits.

If it appears to be getting spark, try shooting some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake, then crank it. See if it fires at all. If it fires, then you definitely have spark at the right time, but no fuel.

All of your meter readings are normal and not terribly out of line. Yes, they don't quite match w/ the FSM numbers, but they are close enough to run.

GL!

Last edited:
Well, plan E worked out.... I drug it home today. So I'm on the look out for some cheap ignition parts....
Towed home.jpg
Home agian.jpg

Thanks for the link WarEagle. I just got off the phone with Wristy, he's going to ship down a good used dist. and we'll see how it goes. I sure hope that solves the problem. I was able to swap in another coil and igniter and that didn't solve it, so I hope the dist will do the trick. Big huge thanks to Wristy for being a hell of a guy when you're in need!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Pin changed his avitar? :confused:

....to apparently show us pee running down a concrete floor? :confused:

Bad news..... the dist showed up on time, but that did not solve the problem.... So now I'm confused.... My coil tested bad, the new coil I bought tested bad, both out of spec on ohms per the FSM. Wristy told be that he's found that a lot of coils test bad and work fine.... so I went past that, I also tried another oem coil, and that did not do it.... Wristy's dist was tested before it was mailed, so that is out.

Now I did try another igniter, but I guess it could have been bad, as it was just parts, not out of a running truck... I really need to find another running RE.......

Another thing I just noticed is my plugs are showing some serious wear, the electrodes are rounded off and worn.... Could an ongoing ignition problem causes that? They have been in there for a while.... maybe 15-20k miles.

Yes, I had voltage where you had voltage going to the igniter. So everything up stream seems fine, but I am getting no spark out of the coil... so the cap and rotor are probably fine.... just not getting anything... I need to find a running truck to play with. Too bad I mostly only know Cruiser guys around here.... :D

dang man I'm sorry....

I ran accross some info that might help you out but it was before you had a problem and I don't remember how I found it.

I'll try and explain what I can remember....and hope it fits your criteria.

ok while some surfing I came across Marlin Crawlers forum, in it was a post about a piece of harness known to go bad. The guy was an ex engineer, or son in law of an engineer that worked at the facility the Toyota harnesses were made. He went on to locate the problem area... some type of erosion in the area (IIRC) that you are having problems....

I'm going hunting for it wish me luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom