Wristy's 1980 Meatmobile build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to bob the bed. started with the frame. cut off the tails. welded in a 2.25" square tube. I pounded down the spare tire hangar, then once it was all welded, i pounded it back up and made a few welds under it. I used some angle 3/16" thick around the corners of this tube. I wasnt to worried about the heat affecting the bushings. i loaded em up with grease inside and out the other day. since i didnt see any boiling out, they will be just fine.▼▼▼

2443660275_f5ed869463.jpg

2443660283_a40156436f.jpg

2443660303_39bac97624.jpg

2443660311_026003c42a.jpg

2444515736_85da7edfd8.jpg

This is for the bob, and also, im going to do more reinforcing on the side. im going to use the same square tube to make an additional cross member on the other side of the spare tire hangar, then take another piece and run it length wise. that way, once i make a winch plate with a receiver hitch, it'll have some strength behind it.

also upon my discovery of my frame problem. i noticed cracks on one side of the rear spring, front hangar.
i made some gussets out of 3/16" steel and welded them in. i turned up the welder as hot as i could to get deep penetration. and surprisingly, as rusty as the inside is, the frame did not burn through.▼▼▼
2443660315_354a5ee6d2.jpg

2443660337_3f8744a958.jpg

2444515740_cc79b2ced6.jpg

2444515728_685e0e1ba3.jpg

i am out of some of the steel, so i havent started on the frame patch. i have cut out many pieces, so once I do it, this part here will no longer be a weak link. even tho the other side has slight problems, im going to do the same thing to it. ▼▼▼
2444515732_f4ea8a402f.jpg

I still have the front spring hangars to work on. im going to beef the hell out of those too. once this is all done, the frame is gonna be so much beefier than it ever was. since i never had decent recovery points, this work is really gonna pay off. i have a few D ring shackles to weld on, and some hooks. Im gonna do the same type of hitch setup for a winch as i am doing for the rear.

im hoping for the best. :D

I got a lot done on the front.
DAMN I wish i has a plasma cutter, or even a torch.

I am gonna do it all over kill.
(but not so much where I have 500 extra pounds) :doh:

at first i was going to put some bondo in there. but since there is none to be found in my shop, and i dont really feel like doing it, and since id rather not see it get water logged and chunk out or bash it on the trail and chunk out, I have decides to just paint over it.

the perch location is stock. the spring length is stock. the stock shackles i removed set vertically, just like these longer ones I have now.

the trucks that use the longer 63" chevy springs, often I see with the shackles pointing at an angle, when just sitting on flat ground.

when my spring compresses, the shackle will extend out at a simalr angle to the ones with 63" springs.

does this answer your question?

the perch location is stock. the spring length is stock. the stock shackles i removed set vertically, just like these longer ones I have now.

the trucks that use the longer 63" chevy springs, often I see with the shackles pointing at an angle, when just sitting on flat ground.

when my spring compresses, the shackle will extend out at a simalr angle to the ones with 63" springs.

does this answer your question?

I think he's referring more to the fact that ideal shackle angle is around 45* to the rear. Here's mine when I still had stock shackles and AALs:
DSC03490.jpg

I don't know why yours sit upright like that.. I guess because of the arch of the springs. Once you get some weight on them and flex them out it should get better though.

you just need to get down here so we can scout some wheelin spots and find a place to kill clay pigeons. :D

Where do I sign up? Sounds like fun! Nice work on the truck, Wristy! Need some flex shots ASAP. :cheers:

all of the springs are brand new. I havent moved the truck more than back and forth outside my shop since i installed them. once i am completely done, i will get some flex shots, and maybe that shackle will start to stick out.

got more werk done.

i used naval jelly to kill the rust on the inside of the frame. i got most of it. certain parts i couldnt access.
i used rustoleum brand rust primer/stop rust/sealer. it has some kind of goo in the bottom that had to be mixed really well. i got a can. the other paint cans weighed much less than the rust primer.

i figured i should paint the entire area, and just remove what i had to later to weld. the primer stuff smelled really good going on, but once i started welding- PPPEEEEWWWWW. that stank.

i used 2x3/16 angle to box in the frame. i boxed all the way around, this was a halfway boxed pic.
2460972998_a7e4f29606.jpg

2460973002_16c7102d1e.jpg

there are so many holes in this frame. why there are so many is beyond me. i understand a few, so it can be maneuvered in the factory, but c'mon this is ridiculous! so i am on another quest to seal off every one of em, so more mud wont get in ther and cause more damage.

i mean, i would really have to start washing my truck after every time i go kill some mud. i werk hard to get that mud on there, you know?!

2460973010_1d045d79fe.jpg

2460973012_a887133943.jpg

over top of the ancle i cut and bent some 3/16" sheet to kind of match the contours.

2460973020_192a29283f.jpg

inside the crossmember, was really hard to clean out, so i hope this will hold. i used a peice of 3/16" sheet that i bent to fit.

no, thats not a missing weld vertically, there is a 1/4" gap between the plates. later i will put another 3/16" plate across it.

2460973028_089ffb7d8a.jpg

after i was done for the day, i ate some
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmeat. :D

2370694504_3f5153ceb7.jpg

Wristpin

Can you exlain your theory on your rear shackle angle? Shouldn't the rear perches be further forward?
I saw that too. Keep in mind there will be more of a load once he gets the body back on, plus the suspension will settle out over time.

while were on the subject, can anyone tell me why a vertical shackle is so popular? :confused:

I see them on EVERY Aussie rig I've ever looked at. Truly a W.T.F.

I cant figure out why this would be intentionally, seems as though its in the most prominent off road country's or areas. Do they know something I dont?......Like how and where to achieve useless flex?

The Man-a-Fre catalog is full of pics of them.

.another case in point

Last edited:
I always thot it was normal. I never paid much attention to it. I can totally understand why mine are like that now, new springs, never driven, never loaded down. they are stock length. I made sure they werent too short.

now that it seems abnormal, im gonna be checking them all out :doh:

while were on the subject, can anyone tell me why a vertical shackle is so popular? :confused:

I see them on EVERY Aussie rig I've ever looked at. Truly a W.T.F.

I cant figure out why this would be intentionally, seems as though its in the most prominent off road country's or areas. Do they know something I dont?......Like how and where to achieve useless flex?

The Man-a-Fre catalog is full of pics of them.

.another case in point
Most are like that, mine is not one of them. :)

They are like that in Australia because most Australians make their junk into posers rather than wheel 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom