HZJ75 Troopy Automatic Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yep, I'm making my Turbo Diesel/gas Troopy an automatic.

My manual trans has nearly carked it with very notchy 2nd & 3rd sychros, I drive in traffic quite a bit, have a dodgy clutch foot and when I drive off road its quite often in heavy sand. So it seemed like a good opportunity for a project

I'm putting a hydraulic A440F out of an early 80 series in it.

Then adding a Nomad Valve body http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=4651

Then coupling it to their billet, low stall, lockup torque convertor http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=41077

Cooling it with one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Pas...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e863bb885

I'll still need to shorten/lengthen the drive shafts, change the bellhousing, modify the flexplate, as well as fabricate a new crossmember to hold it all in place. Electrically it's quite simple, just the neutral position switch spliced into the ignition wire to the starter, fit a Transmission oil temp gauge, reverse lights and wire up some relays for the centre diff lock.

Anyway, this'll finally unfold over the next month or so, I'll post some photos for anyone who is interested.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited:
Nice one. Is the A440F a four speed auto? Perhaps a HJ60/61/62 t-bar would look at home.

"i hope it is worth it"
not everyone likes autos but i have often thought an auto Troopie would be a nice conversion

subscribed.

I'm totally excited, I'm setting a few performance mods up at the same time to offset the power draw. Yeah Daniel, it's the four speed auto T bar. It's looking like a lot of work and a lot of money. I sold my Troopy to buy a brand new Prado in 2008. Had it for four years and sold it because it looked like it had been attacked by tigers, just not robust enough for me :) Then I bought another Troopy. I won't be selling this one ever so it's worth the time and money. Powerful Autos are king in soft sand. I live on the coast :)

Nice one. I'm researching a future build and am starting to consider transmissions. I wonder how a Toyota auto would go behind an LS motor. Good luck with your build man, should keep your dodgy foot a bit happier :grinpimp:

Way cool. I'm in the midst of swapping a a440f into a manual hzj77. As you mentioned some work to it but overall not so terrible. We dropped the manual last night and looked at some of the battles ahead including:
Exhaust mods
Fuel line routing after exhaust mods
Drive shaft changes
Crossmember mount changes
Tranny cooler addition
The little wiring.

So far so good

A440F Hydraulic in to 1HZ Troopy

1HZ bell housing
Hi performance valve body and torque converter
Drive shaft changes
Crossmember mods
Tranny cooler
Neutral position switch wiring

Then we'll see what happens next

At the same time:

Big head waste gate actuator, preloaded to 20PSI with manual boost controller. I may go further (depends on A/F and EGT results after below)
Boost compensator mods, spring tension plus shims, though I'm looking for a modded high boost pin
On board air/fuel ratio minitoring
Air/water Intercooler discharge temp gauge
Independent water circuit for I/C running a Bosch cobra

Woo, I've bought all the bits, I just have to get it all together.

I'll post photos as I go

Last edited:
Old gearbox and transfer are out. Thanks for fxxxall to the guy at the gearbox shop who told me my 70 series transfer would bolt straight on to the A440F. Oh well it's really my fault for not researching properly. I have since found a second hand full time 4wd transfer from an 80 series that will fit fine. I've ordered one of these: http://www.marks4wd.com/part-time-4wd-conversion-kits-1.html which will go nicely with my existing free wheeling hubs.

Next problem is that I have a 30mm bellhousing to torque converter clearance and a 43mm crankcase to flexplate clearance. With 3mm torque convertor/crankshaft backlash, I'm 16mm in the red. My solution is to machine the counterweight into a spacer (common) then take 16mm off the back of the counterweight and 16mm into the crank end of the now spacer. This then fixes my clearance/fit issue but moves the ring gear out of alignment with the starter so I'm (machine shop) removing the ring gear from the flex plate and centering the flex plate back into the middle of the gear. Incidentally, the standard offset is 16mm. Not any more :)

Photos to follow.

Last edited:
In this case Hulsty, it's the only way to make it fit. I can't find any other flex plate setup that will match the A440F/1HZ with the same ring gear clearance for my starter motor.

I thought it was going to just bolt right up :-(

The performace mods will definitely be needed as a 1HZ behind an auto trans will be veeery gutless.

Sounds like it will be a nice rig once finished
Got the auto in my 74 I am happy with it. NEver like cruiser manual boxes.
There is a HZJ73/74 that I believe came out with the auto, as I did see one posted for sale a while ago, would have thought most parts would have swapped over to the 75 no problem.

"hen's teeth" rarer than hen's teeth ... whipper snappers.
this is an interesting thread, i am one of those that would have thought it would be a simple swap.
take the HJ flex plate, modify to bolt to the HZJ, make adapter for the HJ bell housing to the HZJ block, bolt it all together and Bob's your uncle.
sounds like more of a challenge ... good read, thanks

My 1988 BJ74 has the A440F, jap import, there is a FJ73 1987 OZZY model here at work that also has the A440F, currently has the Ford XR6 4.0 strait 6 turbo engine bolted to it, and the extreme kit in the gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom