H42 visual distinctions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

I'm looking to install a manual transmission into my FJ62. From what I've read, there are at least two variants of the H42 transmission and that the later 85-87 H42 has a spacer that makes the transmission comparable in size to the H55 transmission.

Is there any visual distinction, variant designations (H42F???), to look for? Anyone have a picture of the two side by side?

I intend to swap in an H55 as funds allow so using the later H42 is important.

Thanks for the guidance!

the diff is just as you stated, there is a spacer on the back of the transmission. otherwise, the 2 units looks pretty much the same. the spacer is a bout 5 inches long and open at the rear, it is JUST A SPACER- when you see it, you will understand. the output shaft of the later 4 speed is also longer than the earlier by the length of the spacerhttps://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=573353&stc=1&d=1321578917 this should be a pic of the 86 H42 going under my 88 fj62(before it became the 60-too.) there are a few nuances when doing this swap, I tried to address them all in my swap thread, but it's not like other hadn't pioneered this field, there's lots of info on it out there....Swapping to 3.7 R+p gear ratios will help alot with highway revs, but makes uphill starting a game of footsie, so if you live somewhere like San Francisco, maybe stay 4.1....HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom